The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Serene Highness

I bought a copy of it the other day and I must say, it was better than I expected. From the previews, it looked alright but turned out to be rather enjoyable. Helen Mirren played her majesty perfectly, in my opinion.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I watched it last night for the first time. I thought that Helen mirren had QE down to a T. Unfortunately I also think they had DofE perfectly as well. If so, I can see where a lot of the BRF 'issues' have come from in the last two generations. I particualaly enjoyed the exchange where Philip says 'and the wives should just toe the line' and Elizabeth say 'really philip?' in an extremely ironic tone

Old 04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Commoner

I love this movie very much. I think that Helen did a wonderful job. I am glad that she got her Oscar. I am going to listen to the commentaries. I am wondering if the royal house really didn't like Diana? Does anybody know why? I was just wondering. If the questions are too bold then plz ignore them. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_Liz
I love this movie very much. I think that Helen did a wonderful job. I am glad that she got her Oscar. I am going to listen to the commentaries. I am wondering if the royal house really didn't like Diana? Does anybody know why? I was just wondering. If the questions are too bold then plz ignore them. Thanks.
Hello HRH Liz, I think the Queen had some fondness for Diana. After all, she enthusiastically approved of Diana as a daughter-in-law and allowed Diana to join her for dinner unannounced when Diana was feeling lonely when the Queen didn't offer that same privilege to her own children.

However, I believe, that Diana caused Her Majesty a great deal of pain. When she first helped release the Andrew Morton book that was criticial of the Royal Family and she lied about it by saying that she took no part in it when it was later released that she had taped interviews for it, Diana caused a great deal of anxiety about the Royal Family in general, and when Diana secretly taped the Panorama interview where she was critical of the Royal Family and cast doubts on Charles' ability to reign, the nation was thrown into a monarchy in crisis. This was the monarchy that the Queen held very dear to her heart and had worked unfailingly and unceasingly to defend and support.

I imagine it was quite hard on Her Majesty to see the very real prospect of all her life's work going down the tubes after one single interview with a girl she had always been very fond of and had approved of joining the inner bosom of her family. I think the Queen can be quite understanding and forgiving but she would have to be totally superhuman and totally forgiving if she didn't feel any resentment towards Diana in that difficult time.

I do think the Queen softened a little bit towards Diana when she realized that the monarchy could become stronger and better after it all but when Diana died, only two years after the fateful Panorama interview that Diana did behind the backs of the Queen and the royal household, I think the wounds for Her Majesty were still a little fresh.

The Queen's hurt was perfectly understandable to me.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Aristocracy

it said that Queen Elizabeth II, didn't watch this movie. I dunno why...
Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Mirren snubs dinner invite from the real Queen

Mirren snubs dinner invite from the real Queen | the Daily Mail
Old 05-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Having read Dame Helen's reasons for declining the invitation I believe that Her Majesty would have understood and appreciated why Dame Helen couldn't accept. The Queen is a hard-working woman herself and would know that work commitments, on whom a large number of other people are depending, cannot easily be discarded.

To me, this is a mere beat-up to try and reflect an intolerant and pompous light on Her Majesty. Such piffle!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM

I bought my "copy" from iTunes. I must say it is better each time I watch it. It is pretty close to perfect as far as royal movies go. I think the producers should consider making a "prequel", like a movie about the Queen when she became "The Queen", 1952-1953, from Accession to Coronation, that would be awesome.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
This movie seems so close to reality that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference with fiction. It's, I think, one of the greatest film made about the royal family. Even after rewatching it, I can't find a mistake or a weird thing in it. Helen Mirren is just tremendous !

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 PM

If they were to make my proposed prequel about the Accession-to-Coronation, I wonder who could play the young new Queen and her young handsome husband.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd see Gillian Anderson as the Queen. I think she'd look great.
ImageShack - Hosting :: uytrezlu2.jpg

For Philip I really don't know ...

Because it matters...
Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I have yet to break the plastic from my dvd! Oh, the shame.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Aristocracy

I think part of the charm of this movie and cetainly the credibility comes from the actors.
Helen just simply was the Queen and Cromwell looked extremely like the elderly Philipp, as for Blair (he played himself, didn't he?)
So I fear a movie about the young QEII even by the same producers and direction team, but obviously other actors might not have the same effect.

I loved the movie too and I found it particularly good, that they refrained from portraying the boys, as this would have only served some tear jerking.

I also liked the way Cromwell portrayed the stiff and stuffy Philipp, for once IMO it became obvious, that he cared deeply for the boys (not so much for their mother) but was stuck in his generation of stiff upper lip and boys don't cry. (So he took them out for deer stalking, good one on the day mommy died...)
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I'd see Gillian Anderson as the Queen. I think she'd look great.
ImageShack - Hosting :: uytrezlu2.jpg

For Philip I really don't know ...
She no doubt has the ability to do it, but isn't she too old? For a Coronation story, the Queen was only 25. I think Gillian anderson is a lot older than that.
I think it would be tough, indeed, to find someone young enough who could master the performance. I thought of Natalie Portman, what do you think? I don't know. She is a bit over the age by several years but looks very much younger than she is, and certainly she is a terrific actress who proved already she can do a good British accent with Closer.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
She no doubt has the ability to do it, but isn't she too old? For a Coronation story, the Queen was only 25. I think Gillian anderson is a lot older than that.
I think it would be tough, indeed, to find someone young enough who could master the performance. I thought of Natalie Portman, what do you think? I don't know. She is a bit over the age by several years but looks very much younger than she is, and certainly she is a terrific actress who proved already she can do a good British accent with Closer.
I think Nathalie Portman would be really good too. It's quite difficult to find a good actress but not too old to play THE Queen. Helen Mirren did great but she has past the 25' a long time ago .

Because it matters...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Serene Highness

Royal command: 'The Queen' must be watched

http://news.moneycontrol.com/india/n...d/01/30/290778
Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 PM

It's on ITV1 tomorrow apparantly. I'll give it a second watching and might watch it all the way through.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Courtier

Dear Beatrix Fan,

You will forgive me, but since I happen to be a Fan of BeatrixFan, and have watched with enormous enjoyment and delight "The Queen" three times, and am well aware that you have all kinds of reservations about it I would be most intrested in hearing, after you endure seeing the whole thing and getting through the ordeal just exacatly what you think then.

Not that I will agree with you. I think the portrayal of the Queen Mother was, for example, total idiocy. And is Philip really the total pompous ass he comes across as??? The scene with Charles calling Blair, or rather his man doing the dirty work, is just an embarrasment. I would have hoped he would have had more pride and self respect than to do such a thing.

That said the movie is wonderful. Of course the British people, or at least some of them behaved worse than spoiled children. I still say they decided to have a collective nervous breakdown. And I am not so sure that much of the reaction of the royal family was not fully justified. After all Diana never was the saint that many thought her to be. As was quite accurately noted, I forget by whom-Charles or Philip?-the public saw one side of her and the RF saw quite another.

So there you are. And I have gone and opened by big mouth-this disease of loggorrhea that I have-and stirred the pot again. Cheers.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Nobility

I think I am the only person on the planet to have NOT liked the movie. I thought it was intrusive, disrespectful and bothersome. It was not necessary to make a motion picture for profit off the discomfort and private family angst and anguish of Her Majesty.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I think I am the only person on the planet to have NOT liked the movie. I thought it was intrusive, disrespectful and bothersome. It was not necessary to make a motion picture for profit off the discomfort and private family angst and anguish of Her Majesty.
You are definitely not the only person on the planet, a great many people, not on these forums, think it is laughably inaccurate and it worries them that royalty 'fans' could mistake it for anything other than a work of fiction.