The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Really great film ! It seems so close to reality that sometimes you wonder if it's TV archives or not!
For those who saw the film, how do you understand the presence of the deer in the movie? What (or who) do you think it represents ?

Thanks for replying

Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

We had a discussion on the deer earlier in the thread.

Some people were impressed by the symbolism and thought it meant Diana. Others thought that the scene was too melodramatic and that the deer scene wasn't of the high quality of the rest of the movie. Others didn't care one way or another.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Courtier

I thought the scene with the stag was symbolic, but did not think it was a symbol for Diana.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Courtier

More of a reminder how things have changed and she can't approach the same things (deaths) in the same way anymore (whereas she might have wanted to shoot the deer in the past)?

I really like symbolism in movies. I can debate for hours over various meanings.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
We had a discussion on the deer earlier in the thread.

Some people were impressed by the symbolism and thought it meant Diana. Others thought that the scene was too melodramatic and that the deer scene wasn't of the high quality of the rest of the movie. Others didn't care one way or another.
No matter what the deer is meant there are some coincidences about the historical symbolism of the name Diana and the deer.

1. From the antique the goddess of hunting Diana is often pictured with a deer.

2. The mistress of King Henri II of France - Diane de Poitiers - was often referred to as the godess Diana. She often dressed with the symbols of Diana and she was the model of the famed sculpture "The Diana of Anet" where she is resting next to a deer. In the park of her favorite home Fontainebleau she placed a statue of a deer wearing a golden ring - a pendant of the same ring as she wore in the chateau (a symbol conecting her and the animal).

3. At the funeral of Princess Diana of Wales her brother compared her to the goddes of hunting; her namesake Diana - symbolising the one as a hunter and the other as the victim of hunting (the press).

Old 03-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

What I loved about the movie was how they portrayed two different sides to all the major characters (with the exception of Prince Charles-who just seemed weak and snivelling- and Cheri Blair, who seemed rude)

They were rather nice to the people, too- In real life, I find Cheri Blair a little...unattractive, but in the movie, she seemed a little...more attractive. However, I had a bigger issue with the actor who played Prince Charles. Even my mother, who isn't so much of a royal fan, but who saw the movie with me, noticed that his ears weren't big enough! But the actor who played Tony Blair looked so amazingly similar to him- sometimes you had to look twice to see which was the real footage, and which was the actor!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
The dvd will be released tomorrow on this side of the pond. Can't wait to own it.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

To me the whole deer episode rang false. The Queen has been stalking deer since she was a girl, she seems to have a countrywoman's lack of sentimentality toward wild animals, and she hasn't lost her public reserve. Making that big deal over a dead deer was just strange.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

to me the dear that was killed was not the deer she had seen, she seemed to smile and relax when she had studied its head.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Courtier

The movie is released here on the 27th, and although I didn't care one way or the other if I saw it, your comments are intriguing. I think I might watch it after all.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Nobility

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I went with a little trepidation when it first came out, as Helen Mirren is not known for being in favour of a monarchy. But she certainly got inside her character, which seemed true to all we have seen and heard of the Queen over the years.

Yes, I think, as the film suggested. the Queen was a little out of step with the public's extreme re-action to Diana's death, but I think that was a whirlwind, whipped up by its unexpectedness and the media getting hysterical. The bulk of the people, though, were much more traditionally reserved.

I did think the portrayal of Prince Charles was the weak spot. I have often seen him, and met him once. He is not the weak and ineffectual character they showed.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

It comes out tomorrow and I'm buying it. I wouldve seen it in theaters, but unfortunately it didn't come to my town. Oh well, I'll see it soon!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Courtier

I enjoyed it as well. I think that they could have done a better job with the characterisation of Charles and a few others, but they did seem to capture some of the quirks of the Prince of Wales. By all accounts he is a bit strange, but I like him a bit more each time I learn more about him.
The portrayal of the queen was wonderful. I'm not entirely sure that the royal family's opinion of Diana was quite as one-dimensional as was portrayed in the film, though. To be honest, though, my biggest problem was that some of the film locations looked nothing like the places they were supposed to represent...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Gentry

I bought my copy today! I'm so excited I can't wait to get home and watch it and every little featurette! Long live 'The Queen'!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Gentry

I bought the movie today too!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

My copy's on the way from Amazon.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Got mine first thing this morning!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Gentry

I love this movie! I really like the audio commentary with Robert Lacey (historian and royal expert). Very interesting and I highly recommend watching the audio commentary.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for the tip. I don't usually bother with audio commentaries, but this one sounds as though it may be worth making an exception for.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Courtier

I rented a copy of 'The Queen' today and I must say I really enjoyed it. I thought the actors who played the different characters were very well chosen and in particular Helen Mirren. I'm glad I didn't buy a copy though, I don't think I would watch it too often