The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

If it's coming out on DVD in the USA in a couple of weeks, I'm surprised it's not available to preorder at Amazon yet.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
If it's coming out on DVD in the USA in a couple of weeks, I'm surprised it's not available to preorder at Amazon yet.
You can preorder at Amazon.co.uk. The .com site is normally far more 'ready'.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, I can see the preorder option at the .co.uk site, but the British DVDs don't work in American players. I'm just surprised that there's no preorder at the .com site yet especially since the publicity it got at the Oscars with Helen Mirren's win.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Most cities in the U.S. have video shops where you can get a European DVD converted to the US format.

But I'm sure that with Helen Mirren's Oscar, the Queen will be released for U.S. players.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Can you imagine the dialogue between the Queen and Dame Helen?

Queen : So Dame Helen, tell me, did you enjoy making money out of what was for my family and I a truly painful incident? And whilst we're about it, why don't you tell me why you constantly call me Elizabeth Windsor and why you said that my dress sense made you cry? Leave your Damehood at the door on the way out dear.
I had heard (can't remember who, what, where or when) that QEII actually helped out with this film. Helped out in the sense that she contributed some insight into her life and feelings during that difficult time. I think Dame Helen Mirren had an interview with her...is that right?
By the way...I just loved actor Michael Sheen (played Tony Blair)! What can I say? I love the guy no matter what character he plays!
Sorry, got off topic!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
I had heard (can't remember who, what, where or when) that QEII actually helped out with this film. Helped out in the sense that she contributed some insight into her life and feelings during that difficult time. I think Dame Helen Mirren had an interview with her...is that right?
No, that is totally inaccurate. Mirren has never met or spoken to the Queen by her own admission. Nor has anyone connected to this film claimed or suggested that the Queen co-operated with this production in anyway.

The only people the writer/director claimed had helped, were a couple of un-named ex royal servants, a couple of un-named civil servants and the ubiquitous 'un-named source'.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
No, that is totally inaccurate. Mirren has never met or spoken to the Queen by her own admission. Nor has anyone connected to this film claimed or suggested that the Queen co-operated with this production in anyway.

The only people the writer/director claimed had helped, were a couple of un-named ex royal servants, a couple of un-named civil servants and the ubiquitous 'un-named source'.
Really? Hmmm...I still can't remember where I heard this...oh well! They were wrong!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
...and the ubiquitous 'un-named source'.
He really does get around, doesn't he?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Sheen is quite a good actor. His portrayal of Blair before now has been fairly good and his portrayal of Kenneth Williams was spookily flawless.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
He really does get around, doesn't he?
Is this reference to a certain 'butler'?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, that is totally inaccurate. Mirren has never met or spoken to the Queen by her own admission.
I thought Helen Mirren was a Dame? Wouldn't she have met the Queen when that title was invested upon her?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
I thought Helen Mirren was a Dame? Wouldn't she have met the Queen when that title was invested upon her?
Maybe Prince Charles stood in for the Queen?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Royal Highness

I haven't seen this yet, but after all the buzz I'm thinking of buying/renting it when it comes out. I was surprised to hear in a interview that Helen Mirren admitted to be raised in an anti-monarchist household. As soon as they announced her name as the winner of an Oscar, I imagined QE2 watching on television and saying to some underling "Inviter her to the palace for tea."
Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Mirren denies reports of royal rendezvous

Oscar winner Dame Helen Mirren has emphatically dismissed reports that she's been invited to visit Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace in the wake of her success in the movie 'The Queen'. Oscar-winner Mirren was said to have been asked to lunch with the British monarch along with screenwriter Peter Morgan and director Stephan Frears, who also both received Academy Award nominations.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
We were talking with regard to the film, but as ysbel has already said Charles may have stood in. At any of the investitures there is not normally time for in depth conversations.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Helen at the airport from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl...0677/img/1.jpg

She appears to be in costume for her next role as Nora Batty.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

But she has an Oscar in her hand so it doesn't matter what she's wearing.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
At any of the investitures there is not normally time for in depth conversations.
I didn't ask that.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
We were talking with regard to the film, but as ysbel has already said Charles may have stood in. At any of the investitures there is not normally time for in depth conversations.
The question was whether she'd met the Queen, not whether they'd had time for in-depth conversations. I think that being invested with a DBE would count as meeting whichever royal did the investing.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The question was whether she'd met the Queen, not whether they'd had time for in-depth conversations. I think that being invested with a DBE would count as meeting whichever royal did the investing.
Helen has said she met the Queen and had a brief conversation with her:
link to article

Quote:
Yes, she's met the queen. "It was at a polo match," Mirren says. "I had all of a minute with her. I was with ChloŽ Sevigny and ChloŽ and I were being introduced at the same time. And I said to the queen, 'This is ChloŽ Sevigny. She's come all the way from Los Angeles. And I'm Helen Mirren and I've come all the way from Battersea'." That got a smile.