The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
because each one if us decides to believe what he prefers.
That is true fandesacs Wasn't there a popular song by the rock group the Eagles that sang, "People believe what they want to believe"

I do believe the movie changed some people's opinions but for the most part I think the movie just reinforced the beliefs that people already had because most of us thought we 'knew' the truth even though we saw different truths about the same facts.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As I said before this is and endless discussion, because each one if us decides to believe what he prefers. According to this, we can have our opinion.

Take care
Ciao
Indeed we can. However, there's a difference between saying "I prefer to believe Diana's side of the story" or "I prefer to believe Charles's side of the story" and saying "This [Diana's side of the story] is an objective fact." If you want to believe Diana's assertion that Charles was having an affair with Camilla all the way through his engagement and marriage and disbelieve Charles's assertion that he gave Camilla up when he got engaged and didn't resume the affair for several years, that's entirely your prerogative, of course; just please don't present one side of this story as some sort of hard fact when there are opinions on both sides and we don't actually know the truth.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Take care
Ciao
And you.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Rather than have this thread veer off into yet another debate about the rights and wrongs of the CC&D triangle, we'll leave that particular discussion with Elspeth's last post. Since none of us know the intimate details it's better that we get back to discussing "The Queen".

thanks,
Warren
Royal Forums administrator
Old 02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Gentry

I saw "the Queen" a few months ago and loved it. It was amazing to see how well Helen Mirren mimicked QEII. Throughout the entire film she never slouched once...even while in bed. Now I read how Helen had a voice coach to help her talk more like QEII (unable to quote source) and since I've never seen any of her other movies I didn't believe it until I watched Elizabeth I. After watching Elizabeth I, I realized how different the two characters sounded. I think Helen did a great job and I can't wait until "the Queen" comes out on DVD. Does anyone know when?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 AM

The Queen

This is my first post on this forum. Am still trying to find my way around.

I am really looking forward to this movie and have it on order. I decided I want to watch it in the privacy of my home and not in a movie theatre where there may be people who aren't really interested or don't know the history.

I am a long-time student of history. Mainly the Tudor period, but have great respect for Queen Elizabeth II also.

Carolyn
Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the [posting] Forums Carolyn.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Heir Apparent

you can vote on yahoo about before Oscar awards

Coverage of the 79th Annual Academy Awards - Yahoo! Movies
Oscar Nominees - Yahoo! Movies

if you makes votes for the Queen but i vote for The Queen would be 6 oscars! i would pray for that! if got BIG winner at oscars or not we have wait and see
Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 AM

This is my first post on TRF and I just wanted to come out of obscurity to say that I thought the film offered a tremendously and refreshingly sympathetic view of the British royal family and of the Queen herself. It seems that most of the films I have seen regarding the royal family, and especially its relationship with Princess Diana, have been resoundingly negative. "The Queen," in contrast, offers a portrait of the Queen that I think is much closer to the truth and far more sympathetic: one of a woman with plain tastes and emotions like everyone else but with a sense of duty, dedication, and responsibility that very few people can possibly understand and thus often misinterpret. Really, the film made me feel a degree of empathy and respect for Queen Elizabeth II that I had not felt prior to seeing it. I'm sure the Queen's PR advisors (if they viewed the film) were very pleased with the portrayal.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

From what I can gather, the author of the screenplay isn't much of a fan of the royal family; I wonder if this sympathetic portrayal was inadvertent, or whether maybe Helen Mirren gave her role a humanity the writer hadn't intended.

Welcome to the board, cr1066! I hope you carry on posting now you've broken the ice.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Just ordered this picture from Amazon. I may change my opinion on a second viewing but I doubt it.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Helen Mirren Won the Oscar!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Helen is the Queen Tea
The Sun Online - Oscars: Helen is the Queen Tea

Mirren wins best Actress
Sky News: Mirren Wins Best Actress

Dead cert Dame Helen triumphs at the Oscars
Dead cert Dame Helen triumphs at the Oscars | the Daily Mail
Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Helen Mirren Won the Oscar!

I loved her acceptance speech. I knew she was going to win; it was a pain in the rear waiting for the award to get presented!
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

I am delighted, I am delighted. I am delighted. I am tickled pink. I am now beginning to sound like Bertie Wooster!!!! And the real QEII has invited the main people in the movie to lunch. Whoopee. And I have had to go off chocolate, maybe I should go out and have some in celebration. Cheers. Cheerrfully TP
Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

Is this for real? And if it is for real. I would love to be a pesky fly on the wall during that lunch!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Courtier

If I were Helen, I would look out for the corgies!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKnottie
I saw "the Queen" a few months ago and loved it. It was amazing to see how well Helen Mirren mimicked QEII. Throughout the entire film she never slouched once...even while in bed. Now I read how Helen had a voice coach to help her talk more like QEII (unable to quote source) and since I've never seen any of her other movies I didn't believe it until I watched Elizabeth I. After watching Elizabeth I, I realized how different the two characters sounded. I think Helen did a great job and I can't wait until "the Queen" comes out on DVD. Does anyone know when?
It's to be released on DVD in the USA on March 12th. I don't know what date it is slated for DVD release in the UK.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
It's to be released on DVD in the USA on March 12th. I don't know what date it is slated for DVD release in the UK.
Same date for the UK.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Can you imagine the dialogue between the Queen and Dame Helen?

Queen : So Dame Helen, tell me, did you enjoy making money out of what was for my family and I a truly painful incident? And whilst we're about it, why don't you tell me why you constantly call me Elizabeth Windsor and why you said that my dress sense made you cry? Leave your Damehood at the door on the way out dear.