"The Prince And Me" (2004) - Film 'about' Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no... I really don't like these fairytale movies about royalty... I especially hate it that american movies are filled with stupid prejudices about european culture and the countries. The stereotypes just annoy me. I also hate it when people say they are going to Europe on a holiday, could they just maybe learn the countries? I mean I don't say I'm going to Asia or North America. I know I'm drifting from the subject, sorry...

lynn said:
Saw the movie some few months ago, and I didn't really like it. I hardly think it was based on Prince Frederick. The producers/writers probably just thought of using Denmark as the setting because for those who don't really follow royalty (like we do ;-) ), they may not even know it's a constitutional monarchy, let alone know the names of the royal family.
you're right. in fact when the movie came out they said that. its got nothing to do with Frederick, in fact the filmmakers had no idea he and Mary were getting marrried.

lynn said:
Saw the movie some few months ago, and I didn't really like it. I hardly think it was based on Prince Frederick. The producers/writers probably just thought of using Denmark as the setting because for those who don't really follow royalty (like we do ;-) ), they may not even know it's a constitutional monarchy, let alone know the names of the royal family.

You're probably right. I didn't even know most of the countries still had monarchies until I started doing some research a few months ago. All you hear about in the US is the UK and Monaco.

delineate said:
You're probably right. I didn't even know most of the countries still had monarchies until I started doing some research a few months ago. All you hear about in the US is the UK and Monaco.

You sometimes hear abt Jordan b/c of Queen Noor (when she is on Larry King Live). But its mostly the UK.....I only really hear abt Monaco when Albert was on TV here in the US (again Larry King Live- man Larry King is a Royal Magnet (sp?)).
I didn't even hear abt Pres. Bush meeting w/ the Royal Family of Denmark on TV. I saw a pic on another Blog that I visit (he was celebrating his birthday & the Queen helped him w/ his candles....& also that Jenna Bush was sitting next to CP Frederick)

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
You sometimes hear abt Jordan b/c of Queen Noor (when she is on Larry King Live). But its mostly the UK.....I only really hear abt Monaco when Albert was on TV here in the US (again Larry King Live- man Larry King is a Royal Magnet (sp?)).
I didn't even hear abt Pres. Bush meeting w/ the Royal Family of Denmark on TV. I saw a pic on another Blog that I visit (he was celebrating his birthday & the Queen helped him w/ his candles....& also that Jenna Bush was sitting next to CP Frederick)

On CNN, they showed the president greeting the Queen and her Prince at the airport and they mentioned who it was but you´re right, there was very little coverage otherwise.

Dennism said:
"Becoming a princess is very hard work. Nobody would accept it without a lot of heavy thinking.

Well said!!:)

the movie

I saw that movie awhile ago and thought it was stupid. I didn't know it was about Fred though. As I recall, the prince was the Crown Prince of Denmark, but his name was different and all the names were different than the names of the royal family in real life. Also, the Julia Stiles character was nothing like Mary. She was American, from some Mid-western town, and went to college there, was much younger than Mary. I think she was a bio major or something.

But I have to agree that Julia Stiles is not nearly as pretty as Mary. Who is?

I think Fred is much more handsome than that prince "Eddie" guy, though. Fred is too gorgeous for words.

re

hello everybody.... i am new here. I must say i saw that movie and i loved it, just to bad that there wasn't a wedding at the end.

(my appologyse for my english.. i am not sure that my english is correct.)

chanel said:
It would be interesting which Danish princess she is refering too. It could as well be Benedikte and or Alexandria, heck how knows, even Mary!! :)

I don't recognize the Danish accent is it there?

And dont forget HH Princess Elisabeth, cousin to the Queen. A very nice and informal lady!

When the the girl said....Denmark is not ready for a princess like me and then the prince responded that he was ready for one........do you think Mary and Frederik had a conversation among those lines? :confused: If they had one...that would be so romantic when the movie came out and told a version of thatkind of conversation!

re

i would not be suprised, because it was a big step for mary to mary a prince :) :)

I liked the movie somewhat but certainly not something to watch if you want to learn about the Dannish royalty!

I enjoyed this movie. Though i admit there are a lot of differences in this movie and the real royals of Denmark. Though we must remember this is still just a movie and not a documentary.
Unfortunatly I recent heard of the sequel, and the only returning cast member is the royal prince? it doesn't seem to be as good as the first.

I've seen this movie before... but I don't think it's based on Crown Prince Frederik's life :D

I love the part when the Prince pretended to be a commoner and tried working in the diner...

Um.....I know we all have different opinions but this movie SUCKED. It was painfully long and dull. No magic or anything. Pretty stupid movie in my opinion.

Princejohnny25 said:
Um.....I know we all have different opinions but this movie SUCKED. It was painfully long and dull. No magic or anything. Pretty stupid movie in my opinion.

Johnny dear, that's because it was a "chick flick" and probably geared for the 9-13 year old set. I admit it, I thought it was cute...I thought the actors had chemistry and I like the fact that at the end he was willing to wait for her to go through medical school. Yes, unrealistic, but a good role model for the age bracket mentioned above.

I haven't been able to get the movie in my country but you said there isn't a wedding in the end, then what happened? did she get back to america? did she stay in Denmark?

Thanks for telling me the story;) ;) ;)

crisiñaki said:
I haven't been able to get the movie in my country but you said there isn't a wedding in the end, then what happened? did she get back to america? did she stay in Denmark?

Crisiñaki

You can see all of it here http://www.princeandme.com/ I hope you like it. I bought the movie just because it took place in Denmark!!! But it is a total chick flick, very sweet one though.

Ethel

There is actually a sequel to this film about to come out straight to DVD at the end of February.
It focuses on the Wedding of Prince Edvard and Paige Morgan

carlota said:
can i ask why do people know it's frederiks story? i doubt he explained the story to any filmographer to make a story about him.

how do you know its his story? was it said in any official or liable source?
I think it was said in some press release when the film premiered that it was inspired by Frederik, it was not about him. He spent a year at Harvard in the early 1990's and the filmmakers probably elaborated this simple fact. By the way I read somewhere that Frederik was registered as Frederik Frederiksen because the Harvard computer wouldn't accept Crown Prince as a name. If this is true there is at least some basis for the "pretending to be a commoner" theme in the film.

crisiñaki said:

She goes back to America and finishes school. The Prince shows up at her graduation and he says something along the lines of understanding how important it is for her to become a doctor and follow her dreams. He wants her in his life and he is willing to wait for her.

I didn't hear about the sequel coming out soon. Straight to DVD? Well, that says something. Are the characters played by the same actors in the sequel or were there a few changes?

galatea_12 said:
I've seen this movie before... but I don't think it's based on Crown Prince Frederik's life :D

I love the part when the Prince pretended to be a commoner and tried working in the diner...
I don't think it is either. It could have been about any Prince meeting a commoner.This guy moved because he wanted to really experiance an annoymous life, he wasn't on a holiday to a huge international sporting event!:D I did like the movie though. I reckon he ended getting the hang of the diner pretty quickly though!;)

She goes back to America and finishes school. The Prince shows up at her graduation and he says something along the lines of understanding how important it is for her to become a doctor and follow her dreams. He wants her in his life and he is willing to wait for her.
are you sure?
I remember a scene where there was a parade and the prince is in it. They see eachother and talks a while and then they both rides away on a white horse

Edvard is played by the same guy, but the other actors/actresses have changed.

I haven't seen this movie but is it true that there's a line which suggests that Danes speak Flemish? :confused:

I liked this "fairytale" of a movie. I think all of the different faults that a lot have found wrong with the movie suggest that it is just a tale and not based upon anyone's story or culture. Just a movie to give us another "chickflick". My daughters and I love it and look forward to seeing the sequel.:cool:

Yennie said:
are you sure?
I remember a scene where there was a parade and the prince is in it. They see eachother and talks a while and then they both rides away on a white horse

I'm positive. The character played by Julia Stiles doesn't marry the Crown Prince of Denmark. Plans are made, but she changes her mind. She returns to school. At the end of the movie, the Prince does show up at the end of the graduation and he does say that he's willing to wait.

Apparently, the sequel will focus on them reuniting and finally getting married.

Yennie said:
The only reason for the story to be connected with Frederik is that the prince in the movie is prince of Denmark. Other than that, very few things are right
For example, in the movie there´s a ruling king...and the people in the film are much younger than F & M.
Indeed. The only connection to Danish Monarchy in the film is the mentioning of Denmark.

I noticed that, too. It was still a very good movie though and I especially liked the ending.

Beck said:
Edvard is played by the same guy, but the other actors/actresses have changed.

So, he's marrying a different girl?:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom