"The Prince And Me" (2004) - Film 'about' Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
A movie about a European prince…
What do you think?

The Prince and the Freshman

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Julia Stiles will star in the romantic comedy "The Prince and the Freshman," while Susan Saranson is in talks to join the cast.

Stiles will play a student at a Midwestern university who has the dubious fortune to fall in love with a European prince who is spending the semester incognito. Sarandon, last in theaters with "Moonlight Mile," would play the prince's mother. Stiles was last seen in "The Bourne Identity."

Martha Coolidge ("Out To Sea") will direct the Paramount/Lions Gate co-production from a script by Katherine Fugate ("Carolina"). Filming will begin in March.

Prince" chronicles the romance between a British prince, Frederick, and a small-town American girl, Paige. The duo meet at the Indiana university to which the feisty, motorcycle-driving Paige received a scholarship and where the prince spends his "gap" year fulfilling his dream of living in the real world by posing as a regular student. Their love is challenged when it is publicly exposed, and the queen of England must take drastic measures.

Katherine Fugate wrote the original draft of the script, which is being written by Jack Amiel and Michael Beglar. Fugate most recently worked with Stiles on the upcoming Miramax feature "Carolina," which Fugate wrote and Stiles stars in.

Sobini's Mark Amin is producing "Prince," with the company's Robin Schorr executive producing. "Prince" is expected to be Sobini's inaugural feature. The idea was originally developed by Sobini internally before being set up at Paramount. Lions Gate will take international rights to the film.

Stiles is repped by CAA and Handprint Entertainment. The actress, shooting Revolution Studios' "Mona Lisa Smile," next stars in MGM's "A Guy Thing."

In regards to the movie starring Julia Stiles--'The Prince and Me', you can view the trailer here. I think the prince's name is Edward, but I do know that he is a prince of Denmark. No word of when this film is to be released...

The Prince And Me - A Movie About Frederik

Here's the official site for the new movie that is extremely loosely based on Crown Prince Frederik. It sound kind of interesting. The guy who plays Frederik is better looking than Frederik in my opinion, but Mary is better looking then the girl he ends up with, in my opinion.

Why can't they ever have any movies about girls who become princesses who just accept it and act like they enjoy it? Why do they all have to act like it's horrible and all try to be rebellious about it? I did not like The Princess Diaries.

http://www.princeandme.com/

"Why can't they ever have any movies about girls who become princesses who just accept it and act like they enjoy it? Why do they all have to act like it's horrible and all try to be rebellious about it? I did not like The Princess Diaries."

Conflict must be involved and the more conflict the better of a movie. Not only must there be conflict that comes with falling in love, but she can't just accept it. Becoming a princess is very hard work. Nobody would accept it without a lot of heavy thinking.

so who is the regent in denmark in this movie the queen?

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 12th, 2004 - 10:27 am
Conflict must be involved and the more conflict the better of a movie. Not only must there be conflict that comes with falling in love, but she can't just accept it. Becoming a princess is very hard work. Nobody would accept it without a lot of heavy thinking.
I wasn't talking about the heavy thinking part. They should indeed think about these things before they dive into them. I'm referring to the lack of common sense. Like in The Princess Diaries. Any girl with some common sense would know some basic rules of ettiquette.

I watched the trailer for this upcoming movie about Frederik (Eddie). The girl is at a formal dinner and asks about Pringles potato chips?! Even if she doesn't know exactly how to act she should study up on it, watch others around her, talk of general subjects and be quiet if she doesn't know what to say. If one is in a formal setting try to be a lady and act like you know what you're doing. Bring your manners to the front and attempt to act like those around you or better. And last of all is a question we all would like to ask this prince and real life princes as well. "Why can't you pick a girl who doesn't mind being royal and will do her best to act like one?"

OK. I think I'm done venting. Dennism, this is no reflection about your post. I'm just talking out my feelings on this subject. Anyone else have an opinion?

Josephine, the people on Royal Blue were basically wondering the same thing. Is it the queen or "king" that is ruling in this film? I'd like to know that as well.

why do they say its based on frederik, just because he in the movie is crown prince of Denmark

You're right, Samitude. I was being too simple about it all. You make some good points.

"A British prince named Frederick"

Oops. Guess the site made a mistake there.

"The girl is at a formal dinner and asks about Pringles potato chips?"

This is pretty dumb.

" "Why can't you pick a girl who doesn't mind being royal and will do her best to act like one?"

I understand. Why not? There are plenty of women here who wouldn't mind being a princess.

A Danish Prince quoting Shakespeare? Good grief. How sappy is that? I guess it was too much asking for people who actually sounded Danish! I mean they could have had two more English parents than these two. Too much. Too phony. But I'll still go to see it. Julia is in it. I love how they use the Danish flag as a background though.

It isn't. I thought so. It looked rather English. I wasn't sure. Too much. More mistakes.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 12th, 2004 - 3:13 pm
It isn't. I thought so. It looked rather English. I wasn't sure. Too much. More mistakes.
I am in the nationalguard so i know that is not a danish soldier uniform. Not even a galla uniform her in denmark.
I don´t know if it is a English galla uniform but i can remember that i haf seen CP in a uniform like that one.

I should have said "I have no idea" instead of "I wasn't sure". Right. Gotcha.

The story section of the the official movie website does refer to the character as the Crown Prince of Denmark

Yes, but that movie site said the British Prince and then the English Queen. Bad site.

Yes. Fake Danish prince played by a British actor (both parents are British actors as well). His name is Edvard in the film, though I have seen reviews of early screenings in which his name is Frederik. I wonder if someone made them change it? It is easy to replace "Freddie" with "Eddie" in a voiceover... :flower:

In the trailer there's a shot with the queen and the "king". I think they attempted to have them look like Margrethe and Henrik. He sort of resembles Henrik without glasses, but she really doesn't look a whole lot like Margrethe. :huh:

:rolleyes: Today I went to the movies and a trailer for the "The prince and me " was shown. It kind of annoyed me that the prince and his parents had English accents and name, but remembered that the queen and princes of DK have English accents speaking English. :p . But the thing that was crazy was when the prince's relationship with Page(the girl) it is all of "The sun". I was thinking they could have used the name of a Danish mag like B-B because people can make their own pronouce it. But they at least got the color of the flag right. I wonder what the Danish people and royals are going to feel about it when it is released.

Originally posted by sky@Feb 19th, 2004 - 9:12 pm
I wonder what the Danish people and royals are going to feel about it when it is released.
I have only seen the trailer but, just from seeing it I could tell that the movie inaccurately portrays royalty. First of all, as merely the girlfriend of the prince of Denmark, Julia Stiles' character would not be welcomed into the palace. Girlfriends of royal princes are not acknowledged by the king and queen untill the engagement is annouced. We all saw this very recently with Mary Donaldson. I am always interesting in movies involving royalty, however it annoys me when these movie inaccurately portray royalty. If I was a dutch person this might annoy me even more, especially with the crown prince wedding coming up this spring.

I think "the prince and me" looks very cute. i agree that these teen movies don't portray royalty properly though, which is too bad, because if they did the movies would seem that much more realistic. Did anyone else notice in the princess diaries that the queen (julie andrews), was actually just married to the king (who had passed away), but was somehow still "ruling"?? That didn't seem to make much sense to me...oh well, i guess that's hollywood's idea of succession!

Does anyone know when "The Prince and Me" is to be released in Sweden? Or if it is at all to be released here?

Here's a quote from Yahoo! Movies about the film:

"Paige (Stiles), a free-spirited American college student (and motorcycling enthusiast) starting her education at an Indiana university, meets and falls in love with one of her classmates, but what she doesn't know is that he's actually a Danish prince, Frederick (Mably), spending his "gap year" (before having to perform his princely duties) by hiding in America disguised as a regular guy".
:blink:

So I guess we're up for yet another Hollywood version of Royalty, described in the most inaccurate way (like you've all pointed out above). But who knows, maybe it will be fun to watch anyway?

//absolutelyroyal.

It's only a movie. The studio doesn't care if the actors have a Danish accent or not. They are not "catering" to a Danish market.

Most American audiences have never heard of the Royal Family of Denmark, and I doubt they will care...unless your a teen; now they will know that there is a real Danish prince and possibly they'll become more interested in the "real" prince of Denmark. It's a fantasy movie, hopefully a good old fashion romantic picture, that is meant to be taken lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen the movie, The Prince and Me? I saw it yesterday (prescreening of it before it opens this friday) and it was a very sweet and romantic movie. The interesting fact about it is that the Prince in the movie is the crown prince of denmark, who is going to ascend the throne someday, but that's about all the similarities there is with the real CP. Also, they actually filmed in Denmark. Here's the link to the official site, if anyone is interested. =)

http://www.princeandme.com/

actually I forgot one more thing, the prince in the movie also falls in love with a commoner...seems like the director based it on real life, no?

Back
Top Bottom