"The Palace" fictional TV series, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beck

Aristocracy
City
Southampton
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone heard about the new ITV production called 'The Palace'? Its set to be aired in 2008.

Apparently it is going to be like the West Wing but about the Royal Family.

Colin Firth is in talks to play the head of the Fictional British Royal Family as King.

Has anyone heard anything?

I spoke to a pal of mine who works at ITV admin tonight and he says it's a dead cert but they can't get the Palace to agree to it apparantly. QE2 is not amused by the idea to put it mildly.

I did not think the family would be too pleased with the prospect, but I do hope they make it. It would make interesting viewing, esp. if Colin Firth does play the King.

If it was done properly then yes, it has the potential to be as good as 'Princess Hours' in Korea. But if it's just a bunch of actors in ill-fitting uniforms and plasticky medals bed-hopping and trying to make the best of bad storylines then I think it might be a waste of time.

If it is done like the West Wing than I think it has a lot of good potential, especially since the West Wing focus was more on the staff and the president not so much on his family.

BeatrixFan said:
I spoke to a pal of mine who works at ITV admin tonight and he says it's a dead cert but they can't get the Palace to agree to it apparantly. QE2 is not amused by the idea to put it mildly.

They can't get the palace to agree to it? Now there's a surprise....:D

What are they having to agree to? Their permission isn't necessary for a work of fiction, is it?

BeatrixFan said:
If it was done properly then yes, it has the potential to be as good as 'Princess Hours' in Korea.

Hey! I didn't know they had Goong/Princess Hours in UK? Did you like it BeatrixFan? Its a really good show, and a sequel just came out this year with different actors & actresses. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Beck said:
Has anyone heard about the new ITV production called 'The Palace'? Its set to be aired in 2008.

Apparently it is going to be like the West Wing but about the Royal Family.

Colin Firth is in talks to play the head of the Fictional British Royal Family as King.

Has anyone heard anything?

Nope, but if Colin Firth's in it, I'll watch

What are they having to agree to? Their permission isn't necessary for a work of fiction, is it?

Apparantly they want it to be fictional members of the House of Windsor and it just isn't going down well. The whole idea of using Buckingham Palace for a backdrop doesn't appeal and the Queen would have to agree to let them use the Palace as a backdrop. So it doesn't look good from a production point of view.

Hey! I didn't know they had Goong/Princess Hours in UK? Did you like it BeatrixFan? Its a really good show, and a sequel just came out this year with different actors & actresses.

Someone from Korea sent me some of the episodes on DVD and yes, I loved it. I thought it was quite brilliant and really well done.

Elspeth said:
They can't get the palace to agree to it? Now there's a surprise....:D

I have the exact same question. QE wasn't asked for permission either when they filmed "the Queen" with Helen Mirren I thought?

edit: ah so it's a matter of shooting at the Palace..

princess olga said:
I have the exact same question. QE wasn't asked for permission either when they filmed "the Queen" with Helen Mirren I thought?

edit: ah so it's a matter of shooting at the Palace..

But, wasn't "The Queen" supposedly shot with Balmoral as a background? They must have shown some glimpses of the actual castle. (Haven't seen it yet.)

I imagine that with this new series, they'd want to film the Palace from a forecourt point of view. They're pretty strapped for locations though. They'd have to go for the Stately Home option as even Hampton Court would need the Queen's permission AFAIK.

COLIN FIRTH?! *faints*

I wish they'd air it on BBC America too so I can see it.

did anyone watch the Palace tonight on ITV?

I did and I'm suprised at Jane Asher getting involved with such a pile of first class horse dung. I thought her doing the revival of "Crossroads" was bad enough but this? Gotta be desperate for work.

Apparantly they want it to be fictional members of the House of Windsor and it just isn't going down well. The whole idea of using Buckingham Palace for a backdrop doesn't appeal and the Queen would have to agree to let them use the Palace as a backdrop. So it doesn't look good from a production point of view.

Someone from Korea sent me some of the episodes on DVD and yes, I loved it. I thought it was quite brilliant and really well done.

I just started watching the show today, I found it cheesy at first but its really enjoyable. I love asian dramas.

I hate living in the US. I can't watch this show on the ITV site, is there anywhere else I can get it?

Youtube or something might have it.

The guy that is playing King Richard is proper hot, so it Prince George. They do remind me slightly of how Princes William and Harry would be.

It reminds me somewhat of Dallas/Footballers Wives but in Buckingham Palace.

:)West Wing was my favorite...absolutely the best written show on tv. I could get behind a palace/west wing!:)

Back
Top Bottom