"The Other Prince William" (2015) - Channel 4 Doco on Prince William of Gloucester

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
I watched the documentary earlier this evening as I was unable to watch it when it was first on TV.

I didn't know much about William beforehand, so I couldn't tell whether the documentary was bad or good but I thought it was very interesting. It was so moving when Zsuzsi was watching the videos of the crash. The documentary left me asking so many "what ifs" about their relationship.

I find it strange how William isn't that well known amongst non-royal watchers nowadays, but almost everyone knows who Diana is, and she is another royal who died young in a tragic circumstance (and she wasn't royal anymore at the time of her death whereas William was born into the BRF). Having said that though, Diana was globally famous and married to the heir to the throne.
How well known was William in the 60s and 70s?

Last edited:
AFAIK not very well known. I thought there was talk he was gay but I might have confused him with someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Difficult question. Anne and Charles were surely the main 'attraction' in the 60s and 70s with the Duchess of Kent being highly popular (afaik). Anyone old enough to remember? :D

Last edited:
Difficult question. Anne and Charles were surely the main 'attraction' in the 60s and 70s with the Duchess of Kent being highly popular (afaik). Anyone old enough to remember? :D

Well I was around back in the 60s 70s. But I don't remember really knowing about him. It was all Beatles for me the royals didn't interest me all that much.

No one can blame you for this ;)

About the press:

They interviewed in the docu also a tabloid reporter and he said he was very surprised that William spoke to him about his relationship to Starkloff. The reporter had the feeling William was relieved to talk to someone about it.
Now I forgot what he said though, anyone remember it?

Btw you can watch it free for a month (but only if you live in the UK)

The Other Prince William - The Other Prince William - All 4

I hope it's uploaded to YouTube. I missed that actual broadcast.

I was around in the 1960's and 70's. As far as I remember there wasn't much about any of the Gloucesters in the news. I don't think the Duke was in very good health and they probably lived at their country home a lot.

The Queen and Prince Philip were centre stage for most of the 1960's, (they toured a lot in the Britannia in those days, considered very glamorous) there were Andrew's and then Edward's births and there was some interest in the new Duchess of Kent. Then in the 1970's, with Charles and Anne grown up, the limelight shifted onto them.

William of Gloucester, the dashing pilot, seems to have been a bit of an idol to Charles as a boy. The way things were then there would have been disapproval of anyone in the royal family marrying a divorcee and so I suppose William realised it was hopeless.

Thanks for the insight :flowers:

It seems him being away in other countries might have saved him a tabloid hunt.

No one can blame you for this ;)

About the press:

They interviewed in the docu also a tabloid reporter and he said he was very surprised that William spoke to him about his relationship to Starkloff. The reporter had the feeling William was relieved to talk to someone about it.
Now I forgot what he said though, anyone remember it?

Btw you can watch it free for a month (but only if you live in the UK)

The Other Prince William - The Other Prince William - All 4

Well, I´ve been watching it twice and I didn´t notice the reporter asking the Prince specifically about Zsuzsi. William said rather something about difficulties as a public figure as a royal Prince of the world´s most famous royal family as well as fulfilling his personal desires and aims. I think he rather spoke about leading a romantic partnership in general (as a member of the royal family), not so much about one with Zsuzsi.

I quite enjoyed it. But IMO the focus was too much about this love affair! The title should go like "William and Zsuzsi - a tragic royal love match" or something (Yes, I know, this is a bit cheesy...:whistling:), rather than "The other Prince William". I missed a bit more about Williams life beyond that "Zsuzsi-thing", but I guess this is what most people are interested in....:lol:

I personally was much more interested in the Gloucesters, right until this day, rather than the Kents, with Prince William as my personal star in it. For me he had so much charisma!
Princess Alice also used to be such an interesting character, being a very modern independent woman at the time, far travelled to most exotic places before she married Prince Henry, the Duke! It didn´t seem to be her aim to be married off well as soon as possible but first to make experiences, see something from the planet before settling down.
I think her eldest son inherited much of her, more tamed, adventuroussnes.

Last edited:
I remember our newspaper (I was living in Maryland then) did a big story on him when he died, but they didn't mention anything about his love life. Later I found a biography about him in the Enoch Pratt Library.

Well, I´ve been watching it twice and I didn´t notice the reporter asking the Prince specifically about Zsuzsi. William said rather something about difficulties as a public figure as a royal Prince of the world´s most famous royal family as well as fulfilling his personal desires and aims. I think he rather spoke about leading a romantic partnership in general (as a member of the royal family), not so much about one with Zsuzsi.

I quite enjoyed it. But IMO the focus was too much about this love affair! The title should go like "William and Zsuzsi - a tragic royal love match" or something (Yes, I know, this is a bit cheesy...:whistling:), rather than "The other Prince William". I missed a bit more about Williams life beyond that "Zsuzsi-thing", but I guess this is what most people are interested in....:lol:

I personally was much more interested in the Gloucesters, right until this day, rather than the Kents, with Prince William as my personal star in it. For me he had so much charisma!
Princess Alice also used to be such an interesting character, being a very modern independent woman at the time, far travelled to most exotic places before she married Prince Henry, the Duke! It didn´t seemed to be her aim to be married off well as soon as possible but first to make experiences, see something from the planet before settling down. I think her eldest son inherited much of her, more tamed, adventuroussnes.

Must have remembered it wrong then, thanks! Yes, I wished they would have added an hour about other aspects of his life.
ITA! I always thought the Kent's were rather uninteresting and the real gems are the Gloucesters.

The other Prince William

Just watched it, not really about him but his relationship with Zsuzsi.

The comparison with Edward VIII and the royal family going out of their way to squash the relationship seem a stretch. It's 1970s not the 36 or the early 50s of Margaret and Townsend. William was no where near the throne being 9th and would only be pushed further down as the Queen and Margaret's children had children in the future. Would it really matter that much who he married?

Also wasn't Diana that wanted to name William -William and Charles wanted Arthur?

Thanks all for answering my question. :flowers: I was born in the 90's so I don't remember William or his parents. That explains why Diana is more well known.

I'm glad some light was shone on Prince William. He's a royal that's not really talked about. His story was short and very tragic indeed. I really didn't see the problem in him wanting to marry Zsuzsi.

I was shocked that the actual footage of his plane crash was shown in the doc. That must have been devastating to his parents, brother and the rest of his family and friends. Just imagine, had Zsuzsi accompanied him on the plane race, she too would have died.

I really enjoyed the documentary and it was fascinating to see and hear a little more about Prince William of Gloucester.

Had he lived, who knows what might have happened - they could have continued the relationship from afar, seeing each other as often as they were able to or kept things on hold. It could have been a similar situation to Bertil and Lillian maybe.

A pity that there was no interview of the actual Duke of Gloucester, Prince Richard. After all his life was irremediably changed by the tragic loss of his brother.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree about that. A interview with Duke Richard it would be very interesting.

:previous: If that is true then the right title must be "Me and the other Prince William".

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't even mention his brother, spend about a minute on his childhood, the rest was about the relationship with Zsuzsi. It was more about her than him.

Very true, there was nothing in the doc about his brother. It would be nice if there was an interview with the Duke of Gloucester for some kind of reflection.

I think if this had been a BBC or ITN production the chances to include some members of the RF would have been bigger.
I´d be very interested in hearing the Prince of Wales talking about memories of his cousin, too!

Back
Top Bottom