"The Other Boleyn Girl" (2008) - Film on Anne and Mary Boleyn

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
Natalie Portman and Eric Bana are close to signing on to star in The Other Boleyn Girl, a film about Anne Boleyn, one of King Henry VIII’s wives. I know Scarlett Johannsen is also set to play Mary Boleyn, Anne's sister.

Here you go

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467200/

I hope that that wouldn't be next Hollywood production but good film based on that what really happened.

In 2003 there was a TV film (UK) on the same title and excellent and daring adaptation of Philippa Gregory's novel of the same name.
Mary played Natascha McElhone, Anne - Jodhi May, Henry VIII - Jared Haris.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0357392/

I'n pretty excited for this movie! I hope it's accurate. What do you think of Natalie Portman as Anne?

Ritka said:
I'n pretty excited for this movie! I hope it's accurate. What do you think of Natalie Portman as Anne?
Unfortunately, I doubt it will be historically accurate. The book on which the movie is based has been criticized for having highly inaccurate portrait of Anne Boleyn, even for a historical fiction novel and according Anne's harshest critics. It might still be a good movie, I mean look at Braveheart. I can see Natalie Portman playing Anne, but I doubt it top Genevieve Bujold's in Anne of the Thousand Days.

why eric bana?? wasn't harry famously blond?? thats very weird

If I recall correctly...Harry was a red head...maybe auburn would be a better color to describe him. In fact, when Anne Boleyn was on trial...there were comments/rumours that Elizabeth wasn't his child...but the reference was because of the hair (this is pre DNA/CSI :)) she was definitely his!

isnt Scarlett Johansson in it as well ??? Playing Mary Boleyn

I hope Natalie Portman would do her justice. I saw her in "The Professional" and thought her good, but when she was Ahmadahla/Padmae she was awfully wooden.

Natalie Portman

I hope Natalie Portman would do her justice. I saw her in "The Professional" and thought her good, but when she was Ahmadahla/Padmae she was awfully wooden.

I've seen her do better with good material and a good director--neither of which applies to Episodes I-III. I love Star Wars but the cardboard writing and directing left me disappointed compared to Episodes IV-VI. She was great in Leon/The Professional.

As for The Other Boleyn Girl, I enjoyed the novel for what it is, a novel. I can believe that behind the scenes intrigues and manipulations were part of court but I doubt Anne was as completely consumed by ambition as portrayed in that book. Of course, historically she did make many enemies on the way up who no doubt were delighted by her comeuppance.

I've seen her do better with good material and a good director--neither of which applies to Episodes I-III. I love Star Wars but the cardboard writing and directing left me disappointed compared to Episodes IV-VI. She was great in Leon/The Professional.
But did you see Robot Chicken?? :D

I can't imagine Natalie as Anne because she looks so sweet. Now Scarlett would make a good Mary. This movie is it based on the novel entirely with minimal to moderate facts?

The trailer for the movie is out and there are also some stills from the film as well.

Click here to view.

I'm excited to see this film, and I hope it will be better than the horrific Showtime series, The Tudors.

The casting, the script, JRM as King Henry, and so forth. There are also historical inaccuracies every now and then; the show is simply awful.

Nonetheless, if one enjoy's eye candy then The Tudors is right up their alley. Of course, there are many who enjoy the series, I just happen not to be one of them.

:)

GT, did you like "The 6 Wives of Henry 8"? I saw that the BBC has made another version of it.

The 1971 series starring Keith Mitchell? Yes, I saw it years and years ago when I was in Jr.High. I don't remember everything, but I do remember that the actor, Keith Mitchell, did a great job as Henry VIII.

I should watch the series again and I think my parents have the DVD version.

I saw it as a child. I remember loving it! But my mother just wasn't into it. Found it on the BBC website for some enormous (for me) amount of money. Also The Lion's Cub with Glenda Jackson. I always wanted to see that again!

"The Other Boleyn Girl" movie

I am interested in seeing how factually accurate the new movie "The Other Boleyn Girl" (with Natalie Portman and Scarlet Johansson) really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't expect it to be too factual, it is a novel. I plan to see it this week.

I can hardly bear the idea of seeing the movie, it looks so fictitious.

In the trailers there's a scene where the girls' parents debate the morality of sacrificing their daughters at the Tudor court... I doubt that any Howard (the girl's mother included) would have had any scruples against enriching themselves and their family by any means necessary.

After reading up on the Boleyns, it is easy to see how inaccurate the movie is on a non-fictional level. The movie is very fabricated. It would be interesting if someone could do a compare and contrast chart of the real Boleyn story versus the movie.

I can hardly bear the idea of seeing the movie, it looks so fictitious.

In the trailers there's a scene where the girls' parents debate the morality of sacrificing their daughters at the Tudor court... I doubt that any Howard (the girl's mother included) would have had any scruples against enriching themselves and their family by any means necessary.

I can keep fiction and non-fiction separate. I'm going to see the costumes...etc.
You are correct about the Howards. I think they were very willing to sacrifice their daughter(s) for advancement. I disliked that about them.
Lexi

The clothing is always so sumptuous.
What about a thread that compares and contrasts all the Tudor movies, not just this one?? There are the 6 wives done twice on the BBC, The Lion's Cub, excellent acting by Glenda Jackson, Shakespeare in Love (I know, that's pushing it) Anne of 1000 days. . .

I think the most notorious "sacrificer" of a daughter had to have been Lady Frances Brandon. In today's world I think she would have been labelled a child abuser for the way she treated her daughters, especially Lady Jane Grey.

But you had to be a pretty tough individual to survive in the Plantagenet/Lancastrian/York/Tudor world. The age of chivalry just wasn't... very chivalrous.

I think the most notorious "sacrificer" of a daughter had to have been Lady Frances Brandon. In today's world I think she would have been labelled a child abuser for the way she treated her daughters, especially Lady Jane Grey.

But you had to be a pretty tough individual to survive in the Plantagenet/Lancastrian/York/Tudor world. The age of chivalry just wasn't... very chivalrous.
And that was a movie as well with Patrick (Captain Picard) Stewart!

i went to see it on saturday and i loved it. i thought natalie portman was incredible and the costumes are perfect. i have no idea about the accuracy of the movie, but medieval and royal themes are my favourite for movies. i really liked it...

I am curious about the movie but am almost too afraid to see it, as I loved the book so much.

When I read historical fiction (or watch movies for that matter) I completely ignore historical innaccuracies etc because I want to enjoy the [whichever medium...], if I wanted to learn, well I have the entire university library at my disposal...

Back
Top Bottom