'The Last Czars' (2019) on Netflix

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gave it ago but switched if off was never a fan of documentary-drama and think I'll skip this series.

Well, I am a big fan of the genre, but the sudden appearance of Sebag Montefiore made absoluty no sense to me. Plus I don't like his ideas, anyway. The Romanovs were never the absolute rulers, like he claims. They had no telephone, no Internet, but a lot of "little helpers"!

The best docu-drama I have ever seen was "1066 - The Battle for Middle Earth". And I first understood here, which cruelty the Normans brought over England. Normally I am a big fan of the Normans and their leader William the Bastard.

And viewed this way, The Romanov Saga was a bit disappointing.

I guess after watching this, there is not further much to say about this series...

I will never understand that, in these modern times, they just cannot get it right! Why don´t they just invent a fictional royal family (I´m also referring to "The Crown") where they can fabricate everything they want...?!?

:previous: I was really desperate to see
"The Last Czars" until I watched that video.:sad:

There was no mention of the Tsars sisters but his mother and sister in law Ella I suppose did get a look in,it was filmed in Latvia also not Russia.

It took me a while to warm up to it, but I persevered and can now say that it wasn't awful (not very high praise, I know). I thought Susanna Herbert did a good job of portraying Alix as a slightly desperate yet controlling character. The narrative blames the downfall of the Romanov's on Alix and the decisions she made, and I find that to be much too simplistic, and somewhat sexist. Robert Jack who plays Nicky looks very good, but he portrays his character as incredibly weak and for most of the pre-abdication period, completely in the thrall of his wife. The scenes where the family is at Ipatiev House show the character of Nicky at his best--a man who loves his family and is fiercely protective of them. There is real tension in these scenes.

I really disliked Ben Cartwright as Rasputin. His accent was distracting and he seemed to be hiding behind his beard all the time.

Finally--it's not history. Some important events were omitted or altered in the dramatization.

It could have been worse, but it certainly could have been better.

without knowing much about the real history, i still enjoyed these series.

Back
Top Bottom