"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roderick

Aristocracy
City
Bordertown
Country
Australia
A film called The King's Speech which will be `a chronicle of King George VIs effort to overcome his nervous stammer with the assistance of speech therapist Lionel Logue` is in pre-production with a release date of 2010.

The actor Colin Firth has been cast to play the King.

It would be quite interesting to see Colin Firth as George VI. He's not the same physical type as the late King.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
A film called The King's Speech which will be `a chronicle of King George VIs effort to overcome his nervous stammer with the assistance of speech therapist Lionel Logue` is in pre-production with a release date of 2010.

The actor Colin Firth has been cast to play the King.

I think Colin Firth is a great actor, but playing George VI will indeed be a challenge.

That just doesn't sound like a winner as far as movies go.

Colin Firth as George VI no doesent seem possible

I agree. CF seems rather more assertive than the King, and not as highly strung apparently.

:previous:
Yes, but we won't be seeing Colin Firth the man, we'll be seeing Colin Firth the actor. Time will tell if he can pull it off.

Warren, he'll deserve a Supreme Oscar if he pulls it off... but I guess he won't and this is going to be a huge flop. (Just my opinion. :))

Wonder who they'll cast as the Duchess/Queen? Renee Zellweger, Cameron Diaz, or Nicole Kidman?

Last edited:
I think Colin may way pull this role off. He’s a very good actor and no novice to difficult roles: we know he can deal with stammering too (like in A Month In The Country and Tumbledown).

Firth and Rush have collaborated together (Shakespeare In Love), and both have worked with Harvey Weinstein. Given Weinstein's hits (which include Shakespeare In Love and The Reader) and Tom Hooper’s no less successful movies (Elizabeth I and John Adams), I think the movie has every chance of a success.

Yes, exactly. Besides, wardrobe and make-up departments can do wonders with someone's build and appearance.:flowers:

Yes, but we won't be seeing Colin Firth the man, we'll be seeing Colin Firth the actor. Time will tell if he can pull it off.

Helena Bonham-Carter has been cast to play the Queen Mum. l must say, that bit of news makes me really excited to see this. She is one of my favourite actresses of all time and to see her play a real life figure rather than some Tim Burton-esque character will be a lovely change. I've always fancied Colin Firth but I believe he's got the acting chops to pull it off.

Helena Bonham Carter to play Queen Mother - Monsters and Critics

Great news! :clap: :clap:

I adore Helena, she can pull off anything. Firth and Rush and Helena… The movie is definitely on my must-see list now.

HBC is a pretty obvious choice (better than the ones I facetiously mentioned!) and she might do a decent job of it, if this movie has to be made. But I'm thinking it's going to be a financial disaster. At best it might win critical acclaim and still be one of those movies nobody sees.

I'm hoping for the best but I doubt this will be very accurate and the actors don't resemble who they're playing at all.

Helena Bonham Carter as The Queen? Colin Firth as King George? :ermm::ermm:

We shall have to see, has anyone seen any more articles on the subject?

I cannot find any information for Helena, nor Colin or Geoffory that they have been signed for this project or it's in pre-production. Getting to late 2009 now.

:whistling:

There's a good chance none of this will ever happen. Remember in the last year we've heard about multiple movies that nothing ever came of. Like Madonna as Wallis Simpson or Scarlett Johansson as Mary, Queen of Scots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the article, lumutqueen. :flowers:

I'm looking forward to this film. But I must admit, as much as I adore Helena as an actress (especially in historical movies), I think it's a weird cast. Just my two cents.

The Press Association: Colin Firth feels royal pressure

Colin Firth has confessed feeling the pressure for playing The Queen's father, King George VI, in his new film.

The actor, who has been nominated for an Oscar for his role in A Single Man, plays the monarch in The King's Speech, while Geoffrey Rush plays speech therapist Lionel Logue who helped King George combat his stammer.

Surprised I didn't hear about this before. Definitely looking forward to the film. It has some of my favorites such as Colin Firth, HBC, Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi and Jennifer Ehle. Interesting to note, Elizabeth and Darcy are to married to different people!

Surprised I didn't hear about this before. Definitely looking forward to the film. It has some of my favorites such as Colin Firth, HBC, Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi and Jennifer Ehle. Interesting to note, Elizabeth and Darcy are to married to different people!

Your comment about Elizabeth and Darcy? What does it refer to? :ermm:

pdas1201 is referring to a 6-part movie Pride and Prejudice made in 1996 in which Colin Firth plays Mr. Darcy and Jennifer Ehle, plays Elizabeth, the hero and heroine.

I apologize for not making it clear. SLV is correct, I am indeed referring to Pride and Prejudice, tv miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle as Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett respectively. I made the reference because every year I spend countless number of hours re-watching and simultaneously reciting the dialogues of this brilliant series.

I understand that both actors are in this film, but why mention they are married to different people? It has no effect on the film does it? :)

Let it go lumutqueen. Those familiar with the "Pride and Prejudice" series pdas1201 is referring to will get the joke, those unfamiliar with it (eg yourself) won't. There's no point explaining it to death.

There is a release date for the film.

26th November 2010.

Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth's The King's Speech has a real Oscar chance | Mail Online

A movie about the personal agony of how the Queen's parents coped with the Abdication Crisis - which the Queen Mother decreed should not be made during her lifetime - is expected to become a major contender at the Oscars in March.
The picture, which stars Colin Firth as George VI and Helena Bonham Carter as his forceful wife Elizabeth, details the bravery of how George VI (or 'Bertie', as he was known before he took over the throne from his brother Edward
VIII) conquered a crippling stammer with the help of Lionel Logue, an Australian speech therapist from Perth, played by Geoffrey Rush.

Strange to see Helena looking so normal. ;)

Back
Top Bottom