"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anybody find the DoY/Queen Elizabeth condescending and arrogant in this movie? I've only seen it once a year ago but I remember scenes where she came off very "I'm royalty you're not".

:previous: Oh I don't think there is any doubt that she knew her station in life. She was brought to know her place in the world and marrying the Duke of York and becoming "royal" wouldn't have made that much difference to her at all. After all, he was only "the spare" when she married him and they did not live a particularly public life.

Wonderful film that I saw several times... Really heartwarming with very likeable people !

I LOVE this film........and George VI is my favorite Royal, so I was really happy that, after it came out, he finally started to get some attention (I always thought he's been overlooked by many)

I can't believe this movie is over 10 years old!

Neither can I. But since it's an historical story with no flash bangs and CGI it won't date as most movies made these days.

Being hearing impaired with a speech impediment, as a kid, the nuns I had decided it would be a good idea for the class to sit and listen as she read Helen Keller's story to us all to help the kids "understand" me and help me to fit in. Needless to say, it didn't work and 99.9% of the class was bored to tears. Now.. years later with The King's Speech movie being released, *that* would have been a movie I'd *pay* those nuns to run every so often for the class.

I really can identify with Bertie so much. The insecure feelings and the stronghold of fear of having to speak in front of a group is not something you can just "get over it". Bertie found the perfect teacher and not only that, he also had the strength and stay (why does that sound so familiar??) in the woman by his side that encouraged him through everything. I've had to address a room full of about 500 people once upon a time and trust me, it took someone with the love and caring and encouragement like the Queen Mum to get me up there to do it. He's not let me down since because I married him and didn't let him get away. :D

Unfortunately, hubby has never seen the movie. I've seen it more times than I can actually count.

The King's Speech still remain one of my favourite films, from the plot, music/soundtracks, set design to the brilliant actors and actresses. Yes, I understand it may not be 100% historically accurate, but this film certain want me to watch it multiple times.

Last edited:
Funny, I just watched it today, probably for the fourth or fifth time. A great timeless movie with excellent actors.

Back
Top Bottom