"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christian Bale was boring, Geoffrey deserved it a lot more.

My problem is that I am always affected by the actor's personaility, so that, if s/he is a jerk, s/he doesn't seem as talented as all that!
Ever since Bale's meltdown last year, I haven't liked him.

(I used to, but not now. I feel the same way about Russell Crowe, his antics ruin the acting for me).

So I too was disappointed that Geoffrey Rush didn't win, instead of Bale.

The film is out on DVD on the 9th May.

Does anyone know whether the Royal Family actually made an appearance on the balcony of BP after KGVI's first wartime speech, as in the movie? Or was it an example of artistic license?

I just saw the film.Colin is a great actor but,didnt Bertie have blonde hair,not dark?

This movie was superb, its probably the best film that I've ever seen.

The dvd is available on pre-order on Amazon!

Finally got to see these movie and found it to be fascinating...of course CF is my favorite actor...also loved Helena as the Queen Mum..it was so nice seeing Jennifer Ehle playing the part of Logue's wife...I always wondered how she was doing since I saw P&P...evidently I don't watch many movies, lol

I'm late to the game here but I just want to say I loved this movie.
It was excellent and I highly recommend it.

Loved this film! Watched it for the first time the other day. Both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were outstanding (still can't believe Geoffrey didn't get an Oscar - did he get a BAFTA?). Made me feel proud to be British - because of both the story itself and that the film was so beautifully made. So sad that this is one of the last films funded by the British Film Council. They did a lot for the British film industry.

Hard to believe that Colin Firth was also Mr Darcy....

I loved the film. It was well done and had great acting. I was happy to hear that it won an Oscar for 'best picture'.

Not really movie related, but I found interesting and decided to share .
http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/williamColin_415.jpg

William & Catherine stepped out in their first public function as a married couple in support of the 10th Anniversary Gala for the charity ARK (Absolute Return for Kids). The charity went on to raise £17.2m by the end of the night.

Not really movie related, but I found interesting and decided to share .
http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/williamColin_415.jpg

William & Catherine stepped out in their first public function as a married couple in support of the 10th Anniversary Gala for the charity ARK (Absolute Return for Kids). The charity went on to raise £17.2m by the end of the night.

That's sweet! Must have been a strange but interesting conversation for William talking to the man who played his great grandfather in a film, and vice versa for Colin talking to the great grandson of the man he portrayed.

I loved the movie! The story is wonderful and the acting was amazing. Im glad it won an Oscar. Bravo!!! Great historical piece.

I don't get how this movie was rated R.There was a few curse words but that was it!

I don't get how this movie was rated R.There was a few curse words but that was it!

And I also don't get why there was an 'edited' version. Because let's be honest, there are movies out there that have a lot more cursing, as well as violence and sex to boot, so really, no reason to cut out/edit the only thirty seconds/one minute of swearing in the entire production. It went with the scene. The man was angry and frustrated, so he swore.

I didn't feel it deserved an R rating either daria.
It was an excellent movie. I saw it 3 times!

I didn't feel it deserved an R rating either daria.
It was an excellent movie. I saw it 3 times!

It was indeed. I lost count of how many times I've gone to the movies to see it (stopped keeping track after three).

This was an exceptional movie. I rarely want to see a movie a second or third time but this was one of the rare ones. I think Colin Firth is outstanding even if he hardly resembles George VI.

One point of interest for anyone who cares... Michael Gambon (of the Harry Potter films) plays George V in this movie; in 2003 he played Edward VII in "The Lost Prince", father of George V!! This I found very amusing and ironic.

And I also don't get why there was an 'edited' version. Because let's be honest, there are movies out there that have a lot more cursing, as well as violence and sex to boot, so really, no reason to cut out/edit the only thirty seconds/one minute of swearing in the entire production. It went with the scene. The man was angry and frustrated, so he swore.

I wonder if that scene, in which he swore, actually happened.I wonder what the Queen, who might have saw the film,thought of it too!

We know that the Queen wouldn't care - she is on record earlier in her career when she was to watch a show and people were concerned about what one of the show's stars might say. Her comment was along the lines of: 'Let him say what he likes. I am the daughter of a sailor and married to a sailor'.

I am sure that she is fully aware that her father would, on occasions, swear - just like her husband.

We know that the Queen wouldn't care - she is on record earlier in her career when she was to watch a show and people were concerned about what one of the show's stars might say. Her comment was along the lines of: 'Let him say what he likes. I am the daughter of a sailor and married to a sailor'.

I am sure that she is fully aware that her father would, on occasions, swear - just like her husband.

Yes exactly- and the movie is such a sympathetic, lovely portrait of her parents that I'm sure the Queen loved it. William said publicly that he loved it, and I doubt he'd have done that had the Queen been angry about the way her father was portrayed.

It's no secret that George VI had a temper and when feeling under pressure or frustrated could let fly.
It was probably a healthier option than bottling it up.

I watched the film a few days ago. Performances by Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were impressive. I was not impressed by Ms. Bonham Carter's performance. Costumes were great. The portrayal was quite sugary.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. A top effort with stunning wardrobes and sets.

The play which inspired the Oscar-winning film starring Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush The King's Speech will receive its world premiere in 2012 in Guildford.
Play of The King's Speech to premiere in UK - Telegraph

It will also travel to the Theatre Royals at Nottingham, Bath, Brighton, London's Richmond Theatre before concluding at the Theatre Royal, Newcastle on March 17th.

The King's Speech Will Embark on U.K. Tour in February 2012; Initial Casting Announced - Playbill.com

Back
Top Bottom