"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Gambon and Colin Firth - I like it, should be interesting though depending on how much of their lives and battles we will see, thoroughly looking forward to it and hoping not to be disappointed

I just saw the movie a couple of nights ago and it was excellent. Geoffrey Rush was my favorite character. His calm unassuming humor was a perfect foil to the nervous, shy King George VI. Michael Gambon was wonderful as King George V. HBC portrayed the Queen Mother very well. Loving, devoted wife and mother, as well as the stiff, formal and somewhat snobbish Queen. The scene where Lionel's wife finally meets the royal couple and she inquires if they were staying for dinner...the Queen's rather snotty reply made me want to rap her over the head with the teapot. :p

Also, George V never told Bertie that he thought that Edward would ruin himself in 12 months, I believe he told a family friend that.

I read in "Majesty" by Robert Lacey that King George V was extremely distressed about Prince Edward, and spent quiet alot of time walking through the deer forest discussing the situation with the Archbishop, and it was to him that he made that statement to.

They actually both served in WWI and George VI most certainly was at the front line - well as much as the navy was - he served at the only major battle of the war - the Battle of Jutland and people on his ship died in that battle. Edward served as a Staff Officer and many of them died, behind the lines, so being in France was still dangerous - he mightn't have been in the actual trenches but he was at the front.

I find it interesting that you have that line attributed to Bertie as I have always seen it being a line that Queen Mary wrote to the Kaiserein during the war. The Empress wrote and made the comment that she hoped they could be friends again when the war was over and Queen Mary replied that she didn't think that would be possible.

George V wouldn't have worried about not speaking to Wilhelm again - he didn't really ever like him but George V did miss Nicholas and, I think regretted very much that he was unable to help him, but realised that he had to put his own family first.

I made that reference because I read that information from a book that mentioned Bertie experiences in and immeadiately following WWI. Based on the book that I read, the exchange was between Bertie and Moretta Princess Viktoria of Prussia later Schaumburg-Lippe. I also remember that Bertie was not happy that the Princess had many pictures of the BRF on display.

I have many books on Bertie, David and the Kaiser. I can try to track it down but that is certainly my point of reference.

Last edited:
I wouldn't give that too much credit. Whenever a movie has award momentum, something pops up that supposedly derails it. They said something similar for Helen Mirren and The Queen I believe. Except for Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls, I have yet to see it actually happen.

That's true.....I did overstate the case. I think the whole thing is ridiculous to be honest......

I may see the movie again this weekend; it's been a few weeks since I saw it last, lol

So because George VI may have supported policies that made Jewish emigration difficult, it's impossible for a movie about him to be any good. How logical! :lol:

I think the reference to Wilhelm and Nicholas has more to do with their style of government and what happened to them. Even if George VI and Edward VIII were not technically their "peers" they were cousins who reigned and were deposed as monarchs, and as such served as a reminder of what could potentially happen in England.

Thank you for your explanation about the reference to the Czar and to
the Kaiser who were not governing at the time (1936) the Duke of York made that reference. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the upset winner of the Producers Guild Award last night in Hollywood.

Saw it last night with my sis and her boyfriend It was untterly fantastic Colin Firth really did a top notch job, it was the best mix of Funny, Sweet ,Sad and yet very hopeful The way he United a Nation lol everyone laughed at the swearing .....o and HBC As the Queen Mum awsome and Mr Gambon as GV OMG but uhmm Winston Churchill..no sorry my only problem really o and i saw it Said The Dukes of Kent and Glouchester were in the film which were they??????

I just saw the movie in Baltimore. The scene where Bertie (or maybe it was Elizabeth) says "Mrs. Wallis Simpson from Baltimore," I think a few in the theater jumped a little. Even native Baltimoreans didn't realize that the infamous Mrs. Simpson was from here.

Last edited:
What scene were Orlando Wells and Tim Downie in?? o and the Actress who played Wallis looked so much like her freaky

What scene were Orlando Wells and Tim Downie in?? o and the Actress who played Wallis looked so much like her freaky

I have actually seen better Wallis but she did okay. She wasn't the main attraction so to speak.

Empress Rouge - AMAZING that people don't know that well known people are from their own hometown.

I saw the movie and what from what I can recall they (the actors playing the DoG and the DoK) were standing in front of the fireplace when Edward VIII was signing the Abdication papers. And that is a true fact, if you like at the Abdication papers they are signed by all of the brothers (David, Bertie, George and Harry) and not Mary (which I find odd). The entire family (sans the spouses) were at a dinner the night of the Abdication.

They might have had another scene but that one jumps at me.

Oscar-tipped movie The King's Speech ignored George VI's key mentor
Oscar-tipped movie The King's Speech ignored George VI's key mentor - Telegraph

I read this this morning.

I hate these types of articles. The movie was specifically about George VI and his relationship with his speech therapist - that's the story David Seidler wanted to tell, a man who as a boy stuttered and whose hero was George VI. I understand Greig was an important figure in George VI's life, but then let Christopher Wilson write a book about it instead of telling people what things to include or not include in their film. This isn't the first time I've seen this..........it's like people want every important thing or person in George VI's life to be stuffed into this film. I would LOVE to see a documentary about the man - I think he deserves it and it would be extremely interesting. It's clear that his human frailty has touched people to their core and I think most would be interested to know more about the real man.

Last edited:
One of my sister's and I saw it last night. It was a very impressive performance from both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. Utterly spellbinding.

So locals finally realized the Baltimore connection to the movie
Without Baltimore's Wallis Simpson, there would be no 'King's Speech'
They talk a lot about Duchess of Windsor's style (she was one chic lady). One of those interviewed defends her, saying that is was really just a great love story (some would beg to differ), but he does make the point that, in the end, it was Edward VIII's choice.

I just saw the movie and it was quite nice actually (not sure if it deserved 12 oscar nominantions, but well... ). It is funny to see how Edward and Wallis were portrayed, very disagreable and self-indulgent people while George was doing his duty. It makes you understand the resentment from Buckingham Palace a bit more. I am sure that in Madonna's movie about Wallis we will see a completely different portrayal: a romantic couple in love vs the snobbish upper class.

Well considering that 5 of the noms were for the biggies: acting, picture and director. The other noms were for editing, costume design, production design, sound mixing, etc it does make sense.

In regards to how Wallis and Edward were portrayed, I don't think the movie did an unjust job. They barely touched the surface on some of the stuff Edward did. I do think that Wallis gets more of a bad rap when really it was Edward who was the problem. And based on some of the stuff I read, people thought he was selfish WAY before Wallis and the Abdication came along.

It will be interesting to see what Madonna does with her film. As stated in the Abdication thread, there is certainly a lot WE don't know what happened (i.e. not clear cut heroes and villans) but if she tries to change history (i.e. the known facts) the movie won't go down too well.

Back to the actual movie...its funny that a lot of people (myself included) were somewhat dismissive of the movie when it was announced. A movie about the King's speech...who cares? Who cares indeed!

Last edited:
Well considering that 5 of the noms were for the biggies: acting, picture and director. The other noms were for editing, costume design, production design, sound mixing, etc it does make sense.

In regards to how Wallis and Edward were portrayed, I don't think the movie did an unjust job. They barely touched the surface on some of the stuff Edward did. I do think that Wallis gets more of a bad rap when really it was Edward who was the problem. And based on some of the stuff I read, people thought he was selfish WAY before Wallis and the Abdication came along.

It will be interesting to see what Madonna does with her film. As stated in the Abdication thread, there is certainly a lot WE don't know what happened (i.e. not clear cut heroes and villans) but if she tries to change history (i.e. the known facts) the movie won't go down too well.

Back to the actual movie...its funny that a lot of people (myself included) were somewhat dismissive of the movie when it was announced. A movie about the King's speech...who cares? Who cares indeed!

Madonna's movie is one that I will not be seeing as she's made up her mind and is bound and determined to tell untruths - from what I hear. If she blatantly changes history to reflect her point of view, she will be roasted.

The Smithsonian Channel aired a special from 2009 called Britain's Nazi King. I DVRd it and plan to watch it over the weekend, but just scanning through it, it appears to be a scathing indictment of Edward VIII.

Zonk, I didn't think Americans would flock to see it as they have - it's really touching a chord in people. I think that's because most people in this world have to overcome something at some point in their lives and so they can identify with George VI, who though Royal, is simply human. I'm really gratified by the reaction in America and as someone who is history buff, I hope it encourages them to read more about the man and his times.

I do think that Wallis gets more of a bad rap when really it was Edward who was the problem. And based on some of the stuff I read, people thought he was selfish WAY before Wallis and the Abdication came along.

Agreed. If it hadn't been Wallis, it would have been something else. Edward was disastrous with or without her.

I actually think it's a rather good idea to produce a censored version, as long as the real thing is kept available in theatres as well. As someone in my early 20s I don't really care, but if I were the parent of, say, a 13-year-old, I would love for them to see the movie but would hesitate for them to hear the language. In that position, I would appreciate having an edited version available.

Last edited:
I agree about the edited version if they are trying to expand the audience base. Really the language is the primary language it received a R rating.

On another note:

Paul Bettany's 'regret' at turning down 'King's Speech' | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Actor Paul Bettany has revealed he was offered the role of King George VI in The King’s Speech but turned it down due to family commitments.

----------------------------------

Somehow I can't imagine Paul Bettany as George VI. But then again I can't imagine Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones or George Raft in Casablanca instead of Humphrey Bogart...which goes to show you...sometimes things happen for a reason.

The movie was specifically about George VI and his relationship with his speech therapist - that's the story David Seidler wanted to tell, a man who as a boy stuttered and whose hero was George VI. I understand Greig was an important figure in George VI's life, but then let Christopher Wilson write a book about it instead of telling people what things to include or not include in their film. This isn't the first time I've seen this..........it's like people want every important thing or person in George VI's life to be stuffed into this film. I would LOVE to see a documentary about the man - I think he deserves it and it would be extremely interesting. It's clear that his human frailty has touched people to their core and I think most would be interested to know more about the real man.

Someone else complained about the fact that FDR wasn't featured in the film.

History News Network

I admire both FDR and KGVI, and I do find the story of KGVI and QE's visit to the U.S. fascinating. (I remember when I was in grade school, one of our books mentioned FDR serving hot dogs to the King and Queen.) But that's a subject for another film or documentary; there was no need to include FDR in "The King's Speech". I, too, would like to see a documentary about KGVI; he's one of my favorite royals of the past.

The producers of "The King's Speech" kept the film to just under two hours. I wonder if any good scenes were deleted? If so, I hope they include them in the DVD.

Someone else complained about the fact that FDR wasn't featured in the film.

History News Network

I admire both FDR and KGVI, and I do find the story of KGVI and QE's visit to the U.S. fascinating. (I remember when I was in grade school, one of our books mentioned FDR serving hot dogs to the King and Queen.) But that's a subject for another film or documentary; there was no need to include FDR in "The King's Speech". I, too, would like to see a documentary about KGVI; he's one of my favorite royals of the past.

The producers of "The King's Speech" kept the film to just under two hours. I wonder if any good scenes were deleted? If so, I hope they include them in the DVD.

People will complain about anything, lol. I would love to see deleted scenes....

I just saw the film. It was really good. I can wait until it comes out on DVD.

Back
Top Bottom