The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
No he didn't stammer 100% of the day, but the inference was that "they" wouldn't let him stammer in front of his children. He stammed when he stammered. He couldn't control it, until taught how. He might have stammered less in front of his immediate family, but he stammed frequently.
I understand that and that's a good point. My point was that they weren't sure if he stammered in front of his children, but they went there because it upped the drama quotient (this isn't my opinion; Tom Hooper actually said this). Either way, the movie drove home the point dramatically - Colin Firth's portrayal was really heartbreaking and I will be stunned if he doesn't win the Best Actor Oscar.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just saw the film again and loved it even more. I hope they give it a wider release, the theatre was packed again and everyone applauded once more.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

I saw this film last night with my sister. It was amazing. We would have sat their and watched a film that was twice as long and found ourselves wishing for a sequel. Makes me want to seek out other films about the Royals.

I didn't realize that Derrick Jacobi was in the movie. Every single actor left me hungering for more.

I saw an interview with Colin Firth and he said he was surprised at the popularity of the movie because "who cares about that era". I, for one, care. Also, I think it really shows us why we *should* care.

I was not in favor of Prince Charles taking the name George as King, but if he does, now I know why!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Nobility

I finally got to see this yesterday and it was a wonderful film. As soon as it had finished I could have very easily sat and watched it again.

I am now looking forward to this coming out on DVD so I can own it.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I saw it yesterday and loved it...Colin Firth was amazing as King George VI.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

Just got back from the theater- it was great and Colin Firth was fantastic. Of course, I am very partial to CF, but I really think it was one of the best performances I've ever seen.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Commoner

Anthony Andrews, who portrayed Edward VIII in "The Woman he Loved", with Jane Seymour, played Stanley Baldwin; that was kind of cool.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Anthony Andrews, who portrayed Edward VIII in "The Woman he Loved", with Jane Seymour, played Stanley Baldwin; that was kind of cool.
Actually Edward VIII was played by Guy Pearce.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Courtier

I saw this movie last week and I liked it so much. Colin Firth is amazing. I hope he will win an Oscar.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Actually Edward VIII was played by Guy Pearce.
Yes, but Anthony Andrews played Edward VIII in "The Woman he Loved" and he portrayed Stanley Baldwin in the King's Speech.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Yes, but Anthony Andrews played Edward VIII in "The Woman he Loved" and he portrayed Stanley Baldwin in the King's Speech.
Oh okay, thanks for the info.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Oh okay, thanks for the info.
You're welcome!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Am I the only one who had trouble seeing Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill instead of Wormtail (Peter Pettigrew, from Harry Potter)?

Otherwise, fabulous. I'm deciding when I'm going to see it again.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Am I the only one who had trouble seeing Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill instead of Wormtail (Peter Pettigrew, from Harry Potter)?

I saw the film on Monday afternoon. My thought about Timothy Spall was that he seemed more like a parody of Churchill. Colin Firth gave an excellent performance, even though he doesn't look much like KGVI. And Helena Bonham Carter was superb as QE.

The theater where I saw the film was showing it on two screens; the auditorium I was in was fairly full, even though it was a weekday afternoon. I don't go to movie theaters that often any more (the last time was 2006), but I decided I had to see this film, and I'm glad I did.

I look forward to seeing it on television eventually (although a couple of scenes will have to be edited ), and I will want to add the DVD to my collection when it comes out!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK View Post

Otherwise, fabulous. I'm deciding when I'm going to see it again.

You are right, the audience laughed out loud whenever he came on screem. A bit too much of a caricature(SP?) IMO. Plus he's too short to play Churchi.l.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Gentry

There was an interview on US television (Charlie Rose show) with Tom Hooper which was very interesting. He spoke of how the King George VI had to have been in the worst position at the time this film takes place. He didn't want to be king but it was
thrust upon him. Prior to this time monarchs were only heard by their intimates and those close by them, broadcasting was in it's infancy. But with King George VI radio became the popular medium and everyone now would hear the monarch.
He was expected to speak in public which was torture for a man with a speech impediment. But the fact he was able to rise above this and do what he did made him a great king. He noted while many know of the Queen Mum people forget the King she was married to.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassary View Post
There was an interview on US television (Charlie Rose show) with Tom Hooper which was very interesting. He spoke of how the King George VI had to have been in the worst position at the time this film takes place. He didn't want to be king but it was
thrust upon him. Prior to this time monarchs were only heard by their intimates and those close by them, broadcasting was in it's infancy. But with King George VI radio became the popular medium and everyone now would hear the monarch.
He was expected to speak in public which was torture for a man with a speech impediment. But the fact he was able to rise above this and do what he did made him a great king. He noted while many know of the Queen Mum people forget the King she was married to.
I heard that - very interesting stuff. Had he become King years earlier, radio wouldn't have been an issue. Had he become King a few years later, they could have edited his broadcasts. I loved the line about how previously, all a King had to do was not fall off his horse, lol. What I find interesting and really touching is that the British people had real sympathy for this poor guy and what he was going through. Not only didn't they mock him, but they rooted for him. His dying early and the Queen Mother living to an amazingly old age didn't do much for his reputation in posterity, unfortunately. That's one thing the books I've read mentioned - that despite the fact that George VI was very well-loved and respected at the time of his death, historians tend to look down on him (dull and stupid) and history hasn't treated him very well as such.

Tabby had mentioned that Colin Firth doesn't resemble George VI at all and that's true, but I thought Hooper's comment about both sharing a core of goodness and decency to be true. It wasn't anything that was going to bother me anyway, but once you get into the movie, Firth IS George VI - he inhabits the role completely.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, sadly true. Some think that she was called the Queen Mother because she was the Queen's Mother, which is certainly true of the "Mum" part, but not the "Queen" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassary View Post
T He noted while many know of the Queen Mum people forget the King she was married to.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The King's Speech: Critics love it, but will the Windsors? | Mail Online
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Commoner

I don't imagine the Queen will be too eager to see it, but I thought I read awhile ago that some members of the Royal Family had seen the movie and loved it.