The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Majesty

Colin Firth reveals anti-monarchist views on Piers Morgan Tonight | Mail Online

Mr Firth is a republican it seems.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just seen the film, was sat with my history teacher who pointed out the historical inaccuracys. However I loved the film, but not Helena, she didn't portray the Queen Mum well enough for me.

I was wondering of anyone could tell me who might the other woman have been in the room when King George V was declared dead and Edward king? It wasn't Helena and there was another man as well?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

His Daughter and one of his sonsmaybe??
Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Just seen the film, was sat with my history teacher who pointed out the historical inaccuracys. However I loved the film, but not Helena, she didn't portray the Queen Mum well enough for me.

I was wondering of anyone could tell me who might the other woman have been in the room when King George V was declared dead and Edward king? It wasn't Helena and there was another man as well?

He is supposed to have had his children their spouses as well as Queen Mary and some doctors and the local minister.

He had four adult sons, three of whom were married, meaning three daughters-in-law potentially there, plus one daughter of his own and her husband.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Administrator

From what I have read about George V's death, it was just the nurse (I think her name is Catherine Black), Queen Mary and The Princess Royal.

I don't believe Alice, Marina or Elizabeth were in attendance.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

The movie made a great impression on me,the only moment I didn't like it was Mrs.Simpson person,presented in very dark light,nearly as a German spy in those hard times.I'm waiting for Madonna's movie about Mrs.Simpson,her manner of presentation
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There was Bertie, Queen Mary, Edward, Archbishop Cosmo, presumably The Countess of Harewood and another man. That was it. No spouses and no other son.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Aristocracy

Tom Hooper won the Director's Guild Award last night for The King's Speech. Who wins the DGA wins the Oscar.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM

Loved The King's Speech. I believe Colin is Oscar worthy!

This is an interesting read. Thank you for sharing it!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Serene Highness

We saw this film today, and to my surprise, the theatre was pretty crowded. It was terrific, uplifting and inspiring! If this doesn't win some Oscars I will throw rocks at the tv!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Screen Actors Guild awards 2011: Colin Firth and The King's Speech scoop top honours | Mail Online

I do hope Colin gets an Oscar for it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Commoner

I think Colin Firth is a lock and, frankly, it looks good for the King's Speech in terms of best picture. I don't usually care about movies and definitely not awards shows, but I'm going to have to watch the Oscars this year.

I see lately the film is getting criticized for changing history. I really honestly don't see the big deal about how they had Churchill supporting the abdication here esp. as he had a very small role to play in the film. What I hope is happening is that people who see this movie become honestly interested in the real history and that there is a discussion of same.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

The buzz is definately behind Colin F and Natalie P (Black Swan) for an Academy Award.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Commoner

Good news!

'King's Speech' Out on DVD and Blu Ray April 19 | TheWrap.com

Quote:
Bonus features on the Blue-ray and DVD include commentary with director Tom Hooper, a 20-minute "Making of The King's Speech' feature and archival footage of King George VI.
I think I've seen the "making of" featurette on Showtime, but I love the commentary and archival footage. I guess it would be too much to ask for a documentary of George VI, but maybe someone else will do it
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Forget about the Oscars, The King's Speech gets royal seal of approval from Queen | Mail Online
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Commoner

Oh my gosh, I never thought she'd see it. I'm so happy that the Queen took a chance and that she was happy with the portrayal of her beloved father - it was truly an affectionate portrait.

Thanks for posting!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I watched the film on Wednesday. It was fantastic, I would have wanted to see it again soon after it ended. Colin Firth was outstanding, and all the other actors (Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce) were very good too. An overhelming experience for me.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

I thought Helena did a great job but then again I can't measure her against the qeen mum cause I don't know much about her.

Can you point out some of the inaccuracies??
I would love to know some of them
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm used to Helena as the "crazy woman" I guess. So playing the part of someone normal feels strange to me.
The only one I can remember is one of the dates used in the film. When Hitler is seen speaking, the date was 3 years out. There are others.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I thought Helena did a great job but then again I can't measure her against the qeen mum cause I don't know much about her.

Can you point out some of the inaccuracies??
I would love to know some of them
Some of the inaccuracies include when we finally meet Wallis it is at Balmoral when Elizabeth says...I have come to dine with the king, and Churchill makes a comment about the King abdicating. In real life, Churchill was not at that party, that was the same weekend of the famous Aberdeen episode. Churchill up into the last moment was a supporter of Edward VIII (was actually told to sit down when he tried to support Edward during a debate in Parliament). Churchill did lose faith with Edward around the time of WWII when he realized that the former King had lied about his finances and Edward was holding out for formal a job as well public recognition for Wallis (when the government was trying to get the Windsor out of Spain and Portugal). Also, George V never told Bertie that he thought that Edward would ruin himself in 12 months. He told a family friend (I believe a Lady Lennox) that the Edward would ruin himself in 12 months and told someone else (maybe Stanley Baldwin?) that he hoped that the DoY and Lillibet would get the throne.

There are some others but those come to mind. I don't believe the scenes with the Archbishop of Canterbury are correct as well. In fact, the Archbishop was in Scotland that weekend in real life but not at Balmoral but rather Birkhall (or whereever the Yorks were staying). That was a big too do at the time.