"The Favourite" (2018) - Film on Queen Anne of Great Britain

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Last edited:
I do love Olivia Colman! She's going to give Dame Helen Mirren and Dame Judi Dench a run for her money in the Queen-playing stakes.

Hopefully this movie will be out around Christmas,looking forward to seeing it.

Last edited:
It’s a dark comedy. It’s not trying to be a bio picture. It’s not accurate at all.

It’s not at all accurate, but I really enjoyed it!

I am not sure if it is less accurate than most other historical dramas. In the end all the dialogues will be invented. What happened in the privacy of state apartments will be invented etc. Even more recent historical dramas like "The Crown" will mostly rely on fantasy. Of course usually the longer you go back in time the less sources you will find.

Last edited:
Olivia Colman Wins Best Actress for the Favourite.

from the trailiers it looks dire...………...

Am hoping to see this; along with the new Mary Queen of Scots film.

A WORTHY winner..

Truly a brilliant Film [I saw it last Thursday], and would wholeheartedly recommend it, provided one can tolerate a fair bit of [justified] 'Anglo Saxon' language.
In turns extremely funny, then emotional, then deeply sad and disturbing. ALL ones emotions are called upon.
All the lead Actresses are outstandingly good, and well cast.
I daresay it will scoop MANY Oscars, and so it should...

A WORTHY winner..

Truly a brilliant Film [I saw it last Thursday], and would wholeheartedly recommend it, provided one can tolerate a fair bit of [justified] 'Anglo Saxon' language.
In turns extremely funny, then emotional, then deeply sad and disturbing. ALL ones emotions are called upon.
All the lead Actresses are outstandingly good, and well cast.
I daresay it will scoop MANY Oscars, and so it should...

I can't wait to see it this weekend.

I hope it sweeps the boards at the Oscars!

I watched The Favourite on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't at all accurate though it's just a bit of a fun historical piece, and Joe Alwyn, who played Samuel Masham, had stated that there wasn't much concern for the accuracy of portrayals of characters since the team just wanted to make a fun piece that explored relationships between the cast and their characters.
I hope it becomes the favourite for the BAFTAs! ;)

I’m a fan of the British royal family and longtime royal watcher, but if I see another film about a British royal, I’m gonna scream. I think we’ve seen enough of Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, and others. There’s other historic royal figures to make films about than just the British. :bang:

Last edited:
I’m a fan of the British royal family and longtime royal watcher, but if I see another film about a British royal, I’m gonna scream. I think we’ve seen enough of Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, and others. There’s other historic royal figures to make films about than just the British. :bang:

I don't recall any other movie about Queen Anne (formerly Princess Anne of Denmark).

I don't recall any other movie about Queen Anne (formerly Princess Anne of Denmark).

I’m just saying; enough with these kind of films. How about thinking outside the box with a royal film? There are and were more royal figures out there than just the British.

For me historical accuracy or rather lack of it makes me want to scream but I don't mind a little artistic licence once there's overall quality in the viewing.They can churn out as many royal biographical movies as they like I just won't be watching the duds like Sofia Coppola's truly awful Marie Antoinette a few years back.

I hope to see the Favourite one of the nights this week.

I’m just saying; enough with these kind of films. How about thinking outside the box with a royal film? There are and were more royal figures out there than just the British.

There have been many TV shows and feature films about royals from other countries (Isabella the Catholic, Felipe II, Caterina de Medici, Louis XIV, Louis XVI, etc.). Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria just happen to be popular characters in the English-speaking world. Queen Anne on the other hand is a rather obscure figure for most people, so I would say The Favourite is pretty much"out of the box".

Queen Anne featured in an episode of 'Highlander' quite a few years back.

Not quite the subject we're talking about, but i agree with the poster above who said the latest Murder on the Orient Express was not good; agree completely.

In the late 1960's there was a mini series called The First Churchills with John Neville and Susannah Hampshire which did a much better job of sticking closer to the facts than The Favourite appears to do. I'm sure it would look very dated now, but it was a good series, and made the characters and the relationships relatable and understandable. They don't seem to make 'em like that anymore.

Having fun with history is great, but the problem is when people see stuff like The Tudors, or The Queen, or, apparently, The Favourite, and think that those things really happened, or that that was what those characters are/were actually like. Especially when the people are still alive, I think it's problematic.

In the late 1960's there was a mini series called The First Churchills with John Neville and Susannah Hampshire which did a much better job of sticking closer to the facts than The Favourite appears to do. I'm sure it would look very dated now, but it was a good series, and made the characters and the relationships relatable and understandable. They don't seem to make 'em like that anymore.

Having fun with history is great, but the problem is when people see stuff like The Tudors, or The Queen, or, apparently, The Favourite, and think that those things really happened, or that that was what those characters are/were actually like. Especially when the people are still alive, I think it's problematic.

I read the Jean Plaidy saga about Queen Anne many years ago and remember finding it fascinating as a largely ‘unglamorous’ part of British history. I think it largely keeps to the facts about the relationship with Sarah Churchill and others. If the events in The Favourite intrigues you, it is well worth tracking down.

I read the Jean Plaidy saga about Queen Anne many years ago and remember finding it fascinating as a largely ‘unglamorous’ part of British history. I think it largely keeps to the facts about the relationship with Sarah Churchill and others. If the events in The Favourite intrigues you, it is well worth tracking down.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll have to see if I can find this. I used to read a lot of Eleanor Hibbert (Jean Plaidy, Victoria Holt, Philippa Carr, etc.) years ago, but her book(s) about Queen Anne don't ring a bell at all, so I think I must have missed it.

The saga consists of The Haunted Sisters, The Queen’s Favourites and The Three Crowns. I think, as the title suggests, that it’s the middle one that deals most with the period covered in the film.

Up until the Favourite I can't recall seeing Queen Anne on the big screen or TV unless it a reference to the style of furniture named in her honour!

The film is utterly disappointing. It is raunchy, dirty, and denigrating. It lacks wit and sophistication of Eugène Scribe play. Was there any necessity to drag the English history through mud?

The Soviet "A Glass of Water" by Youli Karasik was much better: magnificent Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, witty Henry St. John, Viscount of Bolingbroke, and elusively conniving Abigail Churchill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Glass_of_Water_(1979_film)
https://www.kino-teatr.ru/kino/movie/sov/6739/annot/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom