The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I’m just saying; enough with these kind of films. How about thinking outside the box with a royal film? There are and were more royal figures out there than just the British.

There have been many TV shows and feature films about royals from other countries (Isabella the Catholic, Felipe II, Caterina de Medici, Louis XIV, Louis XVI, etc.). Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria just happen to be popular characters in the English-speaking world. Queen Anne on the other hand is a rather obscure figure for most people, so I would say The Favourite is pretty much"out of the box".

Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't recall any other movie about Queen Anne (formerly Princess Anne of Denmark).
Queen Anne featured in an episode of 'Highlander' quite a few years back.

Not quite the subject we're talking about, but i agree with the poster above who said the latest Murder on the Orient Express was not good; agree completely.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Serene Highness

In the late 1960's there was a mini series called The First Churchills with John Neville and Susannah Hampshire which did a much better job of sticking closer to the facts than The Favourite appears to do. I'm sure it would look very dated now, but it was a good series, and made the characters and the relationships relatable and understandable. They don't seem to make 'em like that anymore.

Having fun with history is great, but the problem is when people see stuff like The Tudors, or The Queen, or, apparently, The Favourite, and think that those things really happened, or that that was what those characters are/were actually like. Especially when the people are still alive, I think it's problematic.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Posts about Cleopatra and suggestions for future historical movies have been moved to a new thread:

Other Historical Royal Movies and Series
Old 01-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

10 Oscar Nominations for The Favourite .

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/f...ture-1.3766679
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
In the late 1960's there was a mini series called The First Churchills with John Neville and Susannah Hampshire which did a much better job of sticking closer to the facts than The Favourite appears to do. I'm sure it would look very dated now, but it was a good series, and made the characters and the relationships relatable and understandable. They don't seem to make 'em like that anymore.

Having fun with history is great, but the problem is when people see stuff like The Tudors, or The Queen, or, apparently, The Favourite, and think that those things really happened, or that that was what those characters are/were actually like. Especially when the people are still alive, I think it's problematic.

I read the Jean Plaidy saga about Queen Anne many years ago and remember finding it fascinating as a largely ‘unglamorous’ part of British history. I think it largely keeps to the facts about the relationship with Sarah Churchill and others. If the events in The Favourite intrigues you, it is well worth tracking down.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I read the Jean Plaidy saga about Queen Anne many years ago and remember finding it fascinating as a largely ‘unglamorous’ part of British history. I think it largely keeps to the facts about the relationship with Sarah Churchill and others. If the events in The Favourite intrigues you, it is well worth tracking down.
Thank you for the recommendation, I'll have to see if I can find this. I used to read a lot of Eleanor Hibbert (Jean Plaidy, Victoria Holt, Philippa Carr, etc.) years ago, but her book(s) about Queen Anne don't ring a bell at all, so I think I must have missed it.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

The saga consists of The Haunted Sisters, The Queen’s Favourites and The Three Crowns. I think, as the title suggests, that it’s the middle one that deals most with the period covered in the film.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Up until the Favourite I can't recall seeing Queen Anne on the big screen or TV unless it a reference to the style of furniture named in her honour!
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Majesty

The film is utterly disappointing. It is raunchy, dirty, and denigrating. It lacks wit and sophistication of Eugène Scribe play. Was there any necessity to drag the English history through mud?

The Soviet "A Glass of Water" by Youli Karasik was much better: magnificent Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, witty Henry St. John, Viscount of Bolingbroke, and elusively conniving Abigail Churchill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Glas...ter_(1979_film)
https://www.kino-teatr.ru/kino/movie/sov/6739/annot/
Old 02-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

‘The Favourite’ wins 7 Baftas tonight in London!

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/f...rize-1.3788960