The Exception - Movie on the last days of Emperor Wilhelm II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I visited Huis Doorn near uttrecht .

Curiously enough, the movie was not filmed at Huis Doorn. The pompous music makes me fear the worst, as does the love story.

Last edited:
I think for a movie presentation, the producers and the directors almost have to overemphasize things and create a more sensational love life angle to keep the public's interest these days. If the movie was strictly done on an historical basis, then we'd have more of a documentary rather than a movie people would pay to go and see.

I've always absolutely adored Christopher Plummer as an actor. He's one of the truly great stars of the silver screen left.

It received "generally favorable reviews" but that could mean anything ;)

To be honest, I'd never heard of the movie or the book until this thread popped up although I do really admire Christopher Plummer ever since The Sound of Music.

My solution is that I'm going to read the book suggested first as then I'll have more insight into what the movie is trying to portray (or exaggerate). A book always tells more about the in depth history than a movie does. :D

It does reek of a typical "Hollywood" movie.

Love, Royalty, War and hey..let's throw in Hitler!

Personally, I love Christopher Plummer, am very interested in Kaiser Wilhem and would have loved for the movie to be just that...about the Kaiser in exile and his thoughts on Hitler and the war. That would have be fabulous in my book!

I also read the book about the three cousins...fascinating read. I highly recommend it!

I just want to see this for Christopher Plummer as Kaiser Bill. Everything else is irrelevant.

I have watched today this movie-it's worth of being seen. Apart from "normal life in exile" of Kaiser and his second wife, their struggling to keep up with apparencies there's intriguing love story between a nazi oficer (divine Jai Courney) and a jewish maid (convincing Lily James). This love story albeit short is a small ray of light in these dark days of II War.

I just want to see this for Christopher Plummer as Kaiser Bill. Everything else is irrelevant.

My opinion as well when I joined the rush line at the Toronto film festival to see this film! The wait was justified; the film is exceptionally interesting as it depicts a fascinating 'what if' aspect to WWII that left me agog and wanting more! I know Judd's book is fiction, but the film gives a compelling argument that warrants a second look. I cannot recommend it highly enough, if only for Chris Plummer's performance:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom