The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

"The Duchess" (2008) a film about Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire

Pampered Keira fails to raise a smile on the set of her new film | the Daily Mail

Keira plays Georgiana, the duchess of Devonshire

The Duchess (2008)

Keira puckers up for some cringey kisses | the Daily Mail

Love her costume, can not waite to see the movie

Keira Knightley's very big hair day | the Daily Mail

Keira turns the air blue | the Daily Mail

Old 06-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess (2008)

Trailers:

Old 06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Few photos from the movie
The Costumer's Guide to Movie Costumes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here's another trailer.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Aristocracy

I think that Keira is good in some movies or TV shows, but hopeless in others. She was hopeless as Elizabeth Bennet, for example, but very good in Atonement.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Di tie poses dilemma in promoting Duchess
Old 09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Have fun on the official website: The Duchess

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by attaininggrace View Post
I think that Keira is good in some movies or TV shows, but hopeless in others. She was hopeless as Elizabeth Bennet, for example, but very good in Atonement.
When I went to see Atonement, people were leaving the theatre in the first 20 minutes. It seemed like it was going nowhere. I am so happy I stayed to the end.......( I did not want to sit in a traffic jam and the theatre was air conditioned ) but the last 5 minutes tied up the whole story. She was really good.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Nobility

I really cannot wait to see this film! I love Keira Knightley. I wish they would stop changing the release dates. It's getting annoying!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Nobility

Okay. Finally saw it! Loved it! I want to see it again. Ralph Feinnes must love playing the bad guy...or in this case, the semi-bad guy. Keira Knightley is wonderful in the role of Georgiana (that's pronounced Jor-jay-nuh...not like I thought). But Ralph was great as the Duke, and whomever played Elizabeth Foster. The whole cast was really good actually. I love the detail of the period---the gowns, the balls, the sets, ect. Incredible. The music is great as well. Very classical and fits the film. I'm definately buying this on DVD. But how close the film is to the historical events portrayed, I am uncertain. I've not done alot of research on the real Duchess of Devonshire so, for those of you history buffs paying attention to that, I have nothing to report yet.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Gentry

Who was the duchess of Devonshire?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallettac View Post
Who was the duchess of Devonshire?
a socialite of the 18th century in england, a very political, fashionable figure of the time.

i was expecting something like sofia coppola's marie antoinette, which i loved, but this one isn't quite like. i thought the movie was going to be much more centered in the lifestyle of georgiana rather than being a crude portrait. it's a mix of both, and therefore somewhat cruel at times, which ruins the myth of fun, fame and entertainment. however, the costumes and make up are lovely (again, not as magnificent as marie antoinette, but i guess this is just pure reality, as the fashion centre of the world at that time seemed to be paris).
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I ended up seeing the movie last night and I really enjoyed it. I went purely for the entertainment value (great study break to any other students out there!) not to test how realistic it was or to compare it to anything else and I was very pleased.

I had dreaded it as I feared it would be an overblown box office mess but it passed my test! (LOL)

And yes I'd be tempted to own it on DVD too...
Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw the movie today. It was not too detailed about her political or social activities. It mostly centered around her marriage and the menage a trois she agreed to tolerate. She died when she was 48 years old and her husband married his mistress. It was sad but not too informative. However the actors were all superb.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I've been wondering whether I should see it, but I've been rather annoyed by the comparisons to Princess Diana. I would like the costumes, I'm sure, having done some work on 18th century women's fashions.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I've been wondering whether I should see it, but I've been rather annoyed by the comparisons to Princess Diana. I would like the costumes, I'm sure, having done some work on 18th century women's fashions.
At some point I was wondering if the story was moving down that path. Draw parallels between the Duchess's innocence and initial love for her husband, his callousness and the other woman who came in and didn't go away.......... then I thought......nah!!!!!!! It was just a coincidence!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I saw the movie tonight, and quite liked it though thought it a little short in length. Another half hour or so would have been quite nice.

Keira did, imo, a very good job and I've never been one to think much of her acting style. But I was convinced by her portrayal and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her features are really quite something in that she isn't beautiful though nor is she by any means unnatractive. An entirely suitable choice for such a period film.

Ralph was simply superb as an emotionally and morally detatched Duke, yet I couldn't help but feel for him, the portrayal, in some way. So awkward a man. I mean certainly he was a pig, but not entirely lost of sentiment and when he embraced his broken Duchess on the hand, and she, reservedly reciprocated with a momentary pet...I noted a man really quite vulnerable. And his statement by the windowsill, when observing the children confirmed it, imo.

And Diana didn't come to mind once, so unless you're looking to draw parallels between the late Princess of Wales and her ancestress, I don't think you'll be much aware of the 'connection'.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Keira Knightley seems just as annoyed when people ask her about the comparison during interviews.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Serene Highness

I remember reading the reviews of the book that the main comparison between the two was their star power. The fact that they both set fashion trends and had considerable influence on politics (Georgiana) and the Establishment (Diana).
Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I saw the movie tonight, and quite liked it though thought it a little short in length. Another half hour or so would have been quite nice.

Keira did, imo, a very good job and I've never been one to think much of her acting style. But I was convinced by her portrayal and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her features are really quite something in that she isn't beautiful though nor is she by any means unnatractive. An entirely suitable choice for such a period film.

Ralph was simply superb as an emotionally and morally detatched Duke, yet I couldn't help but feel for him, the portrayal, in some way. So awkward a man. I mean certainly he was a pig, but not entirely lost of sentiment and when he embraced his broken Duchess on the hand, and she, reservedly reciprocated with a momentary pet...I noted a man really quite vulnerable. And his statement by the windowsill, when observing the children confirmed it, imo..
Based on your review, I might buy the DVD when it comes out. Thank You.