"The Duchess" (2008) - Film about Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that Keira is good in some movies or TV shows, but hopeless in others. She was hopeless as Elizabeth Bennet, for example, but very good in Atonement.

I think that Keira is good in some movies or TV shows, but hopeless in others. She was hopeless as Elizabeth Bennet, for example, but very good in Atonement.

When I went to see Atonement, people were leaving the theatre in the first 20 minutes. It seemed like it was going nowhere. I am so happy I stayed to the end.......( I did not want to sit in a traffic jam and the theatre was air conditioned :ROFLMAO:) but the last 5 minutes tied up the whole story. She was really good.

I really cannot wait to see this film! I love Keira Knightley. I wish they would stop changing the release dates. It's getting annoying!

Okay. Finally saw it! Loved it! I want to see it again. Ralph Feinnes must love playing the bad guy...or in this case, the semi-bad guy. Keira Knightley is wonderful in the role of Georgiana (that's pronounced Jor-jay-nuh...not like I thought). But Ralph was great as the Duke, and whomever played Elizabeth Foster. The whole cast was really good actually. I love the detail of the period---the gowns, the balls, the sets, ect. Incredible. The music is great as well. Very classical and fits the film. I'm definately buying this on DVD. But how close the film is to the historical events portrayed, I am uncertain. I've not done alot of research on the real Duchess of Devonshire so, for those of you history buffs paying attention to that, I have nothing to report yet.

Who was the duchess of Devonshire?

a socialite of the 18th century in england, a very political, fashionable figure of the time.

i was expecting something like sofia coppola's marie antoinette, which i loved, but this one isn't quite like. i thought the movie was going to be much more centered in the lifestyle of georgiana rather than being a crude portrait. it's a mix of both, and therefore somewhat cruel at times, which ruins the myth of fun, fame and entertainment. however, the costumes and make up are lovely (again, not as magnificent as marie antoinette, but i guess this is just pure reality, as the fashion centre of the world at that time seemed to be paris).

Well I ended up seeing the movie last night and I really enjoyed it. I went purely for the entertainment value (great study break to any other students out there!) not to test how realistic it was or to compare it to anything else and I was very pleased.

I had dreaded it as I feared it would be an overblown box office mess but it passed my test! (LOL)

And yes I'd be tempted to own it on DVD too...

I saw the movie today. It was not too detailed about her political or social activities. It mostly centered around her marriage and the menage a trois she agreed to tolerate. She died when she was 48 years old and her husband married his mistress. It was sad but not too informative. However the actors were all superb.

I've been wondering whether I should see it, but I've been rather annoyed by the comparisons to Princess Diana. I would like the costumes, I'm sure, having done some work on 18th century women's fashions.

I've been wondering whether I should see it, but I've been rather annoyed by the comparisons to Princess Diana. I would like the costumes, I'm sure, having done some work on 18th century women's fashions.

At some point I was wondering if the story was moving down that path. Draw parallels between the Duchess's innocence and initial love for her husband, his callousness and the other woman who came in and didn't go away.......... then I thought......nah!!!!!!! It was just a coincidence!!!:bang:

I saw the movie tonight, and quite liked it though thought it a little short in length. Another half hour or so would have been quite nice.

Keira did, imo, a very good job and I've never been one to think much of her acting style. But I was convinced by her portrayal and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her features are really quite something in that she isn't beautiful though nor is she by any means unnatractive. An entirely suitable choice for such a period film.

Ralph was simply superb as an emotionally and morally detatched Duke, yet I couldn't help but feel for him, the portrayal, in some way. So awkward a man. I mean certainly he was a pig, but not entirely lost of sentiment and when he embraced his broken Duchess on the hand, and she, reservedly reciprocated with a momentary pet...I noted a man really quite vulnerable. And his statement by the windowsill, when observing the children confirmed it, imo.

And Diana didn't come to mind once, so unless you're looking to draw parallels between the late Princess of Wales and her ancestress, I don't think you'll be much aware of the 'connection'.

Keira Knightley seems just as annoyed when people ask her about the comparison during interviews.

I remember reading the reviews of the book that the main comparison between the two was their star power. The fact that they both set fashion trends and had considerable influence on politics (Georgiana) and the Establishment (Diana).

I saw the movie tonight, and quite liked it though thought it a little short in length. Another half hour or so would have been quite nice.

Keira did, imo, a very good job and I've never been one to think much of her acting style. But I was convinced by her portrayal and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her features are really quite something in that she isn't beautiful though nor is she by any means unnatractive. An entirely suitable choice for such a period film.

Ralph was simply superb as an emotionally and morally detatched Duke, yet I couldn't help but feel for him, the portrayal, in some way. So awkward a man. I mean certainly he was a pig, but not entirely lost of sentiment and when he embraced his broken Duchess on the hand, and she, reservedly reciprocated with a momentary pet...I noted a man really quite vulnerable. And his statement by the windowsill, when observing the children confirmed it, imo..
Based on your review, I might buy the DVD when it comes out. Thank You.:flowers:

You certainly should! I plan to!

Well, I saw "The Duchess" yesterday and let me say that I am SO happy not to have waited for it to come out on DVD...it was superb viewing on the big screen. The decorations were sumptuous and gorgeous...one could very easily imagine onself transported back to 18th century England. The Louix XV furniture in the Duchess's private salon took my breath away...the part where poor Georgianna hands over baby Eliza to the Greys just broke my heart. Both Keira Knightly and Ralph Fiennes gave great performances. Ralph usually makes me swoon, but his portrayal of the Duke of Devonshire made me hate him for a minute LOL!

I think all the references to the late Princess of Wales are simply to try and hype interest in the film...these ARE her ancestors after all, and the opening scene of the film takes place at Althorp(not the real Althorp of course...I don't think Earl Spencer allowed them to film there)

I forgot to ask this before: was Georgiana's son, Hart, actually the result of her being raped by the Duke or was that added simply for dramatic effect?

I think that Keira Knightly is wonderful in this movie as well as in Atonement and Pride and Prejudice. She is the actress of the moment and she merits the Oscar!!

I forgot to ask this before: was Georgiana's son, Hart, actually the result of her being raped by the Duke or was that added simply for dramatic effect?

No, actually it wasn't assault, but the result of the usual marital bonking. She gave birth to her son while vacationing in Brussells or somewhere on the Continent.

Back
Top Bottom