"The Diamond Queen" (2012) - BBC Documentary on Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
Great Article from Mail Online, thanks for posting it. Liked hearing from the grandchildren...

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary on Monday.

A short clip from msnbc that covers a bit of everything: the documentary, William's marriage and deployment and Pippa's supposed relationship with Earl Percy.

TODAY Video Player

Last edited:
"The Diamond Queen"

EPISODE ONE
Andrew Marr looks at what the Queen does both at home and abroad, following her to the Middle East and U.S. He observes the day-to-day duties of the royal family, hearing from The Duke of Cambridge, Prince Harry, The Earl of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Princess Eugenie about the remarkable skills the Queen has acquired during her sixty-year reign.
Sticking to her private motto – 'I have to be seen to be believed' – Marr reveals the energy she puts into every engagement. The influence of her grandfather, father and mother, the impact of the abdication, and the unique relationship between the Head of State and her Government is also assessed. David Cameron, Tony Blair, William Hague, Sir John Major and Princess Beatrice also star.

EPISODE TWO
Andrew Marr looks at the Queen's attempts to modernise the monarchy over the last 60 years, from the abolition of the presentation of debutantes in 1958 to the opening up of the Palaces, themed receptions and garden parties at the Palace and the very modern royal wedding last year. Reflecting on this hugely successful event, Prince William and Prince Harry both talk about their grandmother’s influence on the wedding day and her advice on such matters as the guest list and the most suitable uniforms to wear.

EPISODE THREE
In the final episode of this three-part series, Andrew Marr looks at the defining moments of the Queen's reign, beginning with her accession to the throne in 1952 and her Coronation sixteen months later. He examines how she has coped with decades of changing and sometimes tense relations with the media, looks backwards and forwards at royal Jubilees and charts her trip to Australia to look at what some see as her most enduring achievement – the Commonwealth. And – for the first time – all of the Queen’s adult grandchildren have their say about ‘The Diamond Queen’.

courtesy MailOnline

Short of granting an interview herself, this promises to be as close to the Queen as we are likely to get with most of her children & grandchildren participating. The short preview clips I have seen look encouraging, and Andrew Marr is an excellent reporter/interviewer of some considerable experience.

really enjoyed the first part of the documentary and look forward to the rest.

Lovely to hear Eugiene and Beatrice taking about 'Granny' and especially the tour round the wendy house that the Queen was given by the people of wales when she was a small child. There has recently been a refurb that lasted a year of the cottage that Beatrice was in charge of offseeing. She said that even today the Queen likes to visit and that the future will be for Savannah Phillips and any more great-grandchildren to use. I think this is the first time cameras have filmed the inside of the cottage though we;ve seen pictures with the royals on the exterior.

Always fascinating to me is the relationship she has with the Prime Ministers of the day - her weekly meetings and the access to Cabinet papers and files. To be "Reader Number One" as Downing Street call her must be so insightful to what is actually happening in the political world. Knowing political goings on and behind the doors secerts yet never speaking opinion on the matters and what she thinsk about policy and politicians must require such as great skill.

Do you know if it will air on BBCA?

The programme was quite enjoyable, although there was no really big revelations. I've read Andrew Marr's book that accompanies the series and so most of it was familiar to me.

A few things:

It always tickles me to see the Queen putting the Imperial State Crown on by herself. It just kind of sums HM up if you know what I mean - no nonsense with hairdressers etc. There was also a lovely close up shot of the Cullinan at the front.

It was nice to see Beatrice and Eugenie. Beatrice was wearing a lovely dress. She mentioned that they bring Savannah to play in the gorgeous wendy house at Windsor.

Did anyone else see that the Queen appears to have a photograph of Haakon and Mette Marit in her apartment at BP? I could be mistaken.

On a shallow note, Prince Harry just gets hotter and hotter as he gets older.

Does anyone know if this is going to be shown in the US?

Do you know if it will air on BBCA?

Does anyone know if this is going to be shown in the US?

Somebody asked this question yesterday, BBCA doesn't show it on its listings for the next week or so and I did a search on its website and it came up with just articles from different websites.
As for any other channel i'm not too sure. Best bet is youtube or DVD.

I really enjoyed the first episode. Highlights for me were some of the footage of the early years of her reign such as the commonwealth tours - just seeing some of those stills photos from magazines & books I have coming to life. I agree that the clip of her arranging the crown on her Royal head was a delight treated exactly as if it were just a hat for a Sunday service. I think Andrew Marr's commentary is another highlight.

It was nice to see Beatrice and Eugenie. Beatrice was wearing a lovely dress. She mentioned that they bring Savannah to play in the gorgeous wendy house at Windsor.

Did anyone else see that the Queen appears to have a photograph of Haakon and Mette Marit in her apartment at BP? I could be mistaken.

I thought it was sweet to hear Beatrice say that they bring Savannah down to play. Just like any normal family.

And yes there was a photo of Haakon and Mette-Marit and also one of the Japanese Empress I think?

Thank you MagMil for posting that episode. It was wonderful to watch and I can't wait to see the rest. Hopefully that will get posted here as well.

Thank you MagMil for posting that episode. It was wonderful to watch and I can't wait to see the rest. Hopefully that will get posted here as well.

:previous:
You are welcome :flowers:
This episode is really wonderful :), and when I would find next episode(I think they will posted next week,every weekend one of three parts documentary), I will posted here ;)

I've been following HM for more than 40 years and this was new, fresh and I thoroughly enjoyed it. THANK YOU, MagMil for posting it.

Other observations:

Beatrice and Eugenie are being written off way too soon. B is so poised and confident and E will get there in good time. Charles might want to rethink his plans for "the girls."

Andrew certainly seems to know his stuff. If he's not working, what a waste of a smart man.

I was hoping that Fiona Bruce would host this program, but I think Mr. Marr's commentary was perfect.

The Princess Royal is the epitome of the daughter of a Queen, especially when she speaks.

It goes without saying that HM is virtually indescribable.

That video on youtube has been taken due to copyright. I tried watching the episode online from the BBC but it's only available to people in the UK. Anyone know how we can watch the full episode in the US?

I would like to watch it too here in Europe.

That video on youtube has been taken due to copyright.
The trick is to search YouTube immediately after parts 2 and 3 are broadcast and watch or download them before each is removed.
Ya gotta be quick! :)

The trick is to search YouTube immediately after parts 2 and 3 are broadcast and watch or download them before each is removed.

Can somebody posted a link from second and third part of the documentary?
Please :flowers:

And if there are more interested in about first part , I have it and I will try to upload on YouTube like a private video ;). Please let me know :)

MagMil said:
Can somebody posted a link from second and third part of the documentary?
Please :flowers:

The second and third part of the series hasn't aired in the UK yet.

Yeah, I did catch the first part while it was on youtube but didn't have time to finishing watching it. By the time I tried to finish the next day, it was taken down. Grrrr! :bang: I know there are complicated copyright/broadcasting rights rules, but if BBC could just make it globally available online, people wouldn't be putting it on youtube (as much).

@MagMil wow that wold be soo great! I know it is possible that you limit the access to one's youtube videos via password so that only a handful of users can watch the videos. this trick always works when one has videos with certain copyrights. maybe then you don't have to take it down again ...

@MagMil wow that wold be soo great! I know it is possible that you limit the access to one's youtube videos via password so that only a handful of users can watch the videos. this trick always works when one has videos with certain copyrights. maybe then you don't have to take it down again ...

I don't know how to add password on my YouTube's account, but I can upload like a private video and only with people who would have my link can see it :)
And I hope on this way you all can see it without a problem :flowers:.

Question: Did you think it would be safe to posted the link here or everybody who want to see the video to send me a private msg and that I would send the link of the video!?! :flowers:

[EDIT]
Because of YouTube's policy :D I'm now splitting the documentary in 4 parts :) and tonight I will send the links ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
... if BBC could just make it globally available online, people wouldn't be putting it on youtube (as much).
Restricting it is important to the BBC at the moment because the corporation would still be negotiating sales to overseas markets.
If episodes 2 and 3 are as interesting and well-produced as episode 1 [ie, excellent!] it will probably end up being broadcast in most countries, possibly closer to the main Jubilee celebrations.

MagMil said:
Question: Did you think it would be safe to post the link here or everybody who want to see the video to send me a private msg?
I'd strongly advise PM. For any unfamiliar usernames, check the member's join date before providing your link.
If in any doubt about a member's bona fides, PM me. :)

Yes, there was a framed, signed portrait of Haakon and Mette-Marit in the Queen's BP apartment where she receives the Prime Ministers. Among the other portraits on that table was a group shot of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh with Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik. Possibly also a portrait of Empress Michiko.

In the same segment, which showed archive footage of the Queen's apartment during audiences, amongst the portraits on the tables were two different individual portraits of Queen Margrethe (the first was this one, the replaced with this one at a later date), and a group shot of the Queen and the Duke with King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.

The Book

If people didn't know, Andrew Marr released a book about the series before the series aired.

The Diamond Queen: Elizabeth II and Her People: Amazon.co.uk: Andrew Marr: Books

Synopsis

"With the flair for narrative and the meticulous research that readers have come to expect, Andrew Marr turns his attention to the monarch and to the monarchy, chronicling the Queen's pivotal role at the centre of the state, which is largely hidden from the public gaze, and making a strong case for the institution itself.

Arranged thematically, rather than chronologically, Marr dissects the Queen's political relationships, crucially those with her Prime Ministers; he examines her role as Head of the Commonwealth, and her deep commitment to that Commonwealth of nations; he looks at the drastic changes in the media since her accession in 1952 and how the monarchy and the monarch have had to change and adapt as a result. Indeed he argues that under her watchful eye, the monarchy has been thoroughly modernized and made as fit for purpose in the twenty-first century as it was when she came to the throne and a 'new Elizabethan age' was ushered in."

v Cover
reproduced for promotional purposes

Attachments

• Marr.jpg
    Marr.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom