"The Diamond Queen" (2012) - BBC Documentary on Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Group shot with King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid

... a group shot of the Queen and the Duke with King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.
In this group shot, do you think there is an ashtray in front of this picture? :ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Australia. I wonder when the Documentary will be shown in Australia. I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
It's likely that the series will be shown here in Australia closer to the main Jubilee celebrations.

The Diamond Queen wins right royal ratings | Media | guardian.co.uk

Andrew Marr's jubilee documentary The Diamond Queen made a right royal start on BBC1 with more than 6 million viewers on Monday night. The first of a three-part series to mark the Queen's diamond jubilee year had 6.2 million viewers, a 23.4% share of the audience, between 9pm and 10pm.

Marr has become the BBC's go-to man for popular history documentaries on the back of his acclaimed History of Modern Britain and The Making of Modern Britain. He will extend his gaze even further later this year with the BBC's big-budget co-production with Discovery, History of the World.

Last edited:
Possibly also a portrait of Empress Michiko.

I can't be certain, but I thought it may have been Empress Nagako. Either of the two in any case.

Last edited:
:previous:

Now that you mention Empress Nagako, it does look more like her than the current Empress. If only the camera had been closer to the mirror/table in the panning shot... :whistling:

ty lumutqueen i did hope other could see but its uk only and those that did miss it enjoy :)

The first two parts of the documentary were MAGNIFICENT.I can't wait for third part :)
Everything was perfect selected :). I loved the comments of Prince Harry about P.William and his grandma :flowers:

I'm watching part 1 again and I'm paused on the pictures.
The front row is (left to right), Crown Princely Couple of Norway, perhaps Margrethe and Henrik, the middle picture I cannot identify, then the Empress I guess and perhaps King Harald and Queen Sonja.
Second row well I honestly can't tell.
I wonder if those pictures were all gifts?

And later on when talking to John Major, then Tony Blair then Gordon Brown there are two pictures on the desk. With John they're both black and white, with Tony and Gordon they seem to be of Margrethe and either Henrik or Frederik. Then on to Mr C and we have an addition, two gentleman I think and the previous picture of I presumed Frederik has changed.

It's fascinating to see the Queen has pictures of other royal families!

Last edited:
Watching it right now, I have a shield that let's me see watch it. It's very well done.

Portraits on the table

I think i`ve identified the mystery couple, in the photograph next to the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway. It`s Queen Beatrix and Prince Klaus. They paid a state visit to the UK in about 1983, and the photograph may well have been a gift to the Queen. I believe the Queen presents an official portrait of herself to visiting heads of state and perhaps the curtesy is reciprocated?

The portrait next to Margrethe II is that of her consort. And between her and the Prince is a portrait of the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Henry.

It's no surprise that the Queen has such portraits displayed in her private rooms. They belong to the same select 'clique' and in many instances, are often related in some way or another.

I can't watch it. Not even on the BBC link since I'm in the US. If anyone has links or videos please share as I'd love to see it! Thank you!

BBC America

I`m sorry to hear that, Pam. One would imagine that the BBC would be anxious to promote this programme, in the US, perhaps they are in negotiations with a US broadcaster? The BBC if funded by licence fee payers, here in the UK, but they do have a very strong commercial arm, selling popular and well made dramas and documentaries to overseas broadcasters. In the meantime, why not try one of the links which have been posted in this thread?

The portrait next to Margrethe II is that of her consort. And between her and the Prince is a portrait of the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Henry.

Really, how can you tell? The picture of supposedly Henrik looks a lot thinner to be him. :p

In the meantime, why not try one of the links which have been posted in this thread?

The youtube link provided by MagMil has been removed, the only other link is BBCIplayer which cannot be watched outside of the UK.

I am watching this weeks episode and it's my favourite, if only for the cute moment when they showed the clip from the Queen's Christmas Speech 2004 where the Queen gives Lady Louise a gift. Also, they showed a clip from the 1969 Documentary where Charles is showing Edward the cello and a spring comes off and hits Edward and he's trying so hard not to cry. Adorable. Charles panics and says, "Oh i'm sorry, i'm sorry!".

I have so enjoyed this series. The footage has included some wonderful gems such as the behind the scenes following the coronation and her own wedding. The contributions from so many of her family especially her grandchildren make this a really unique series. However, I'm a little surprised by how little Prince Charles contributed. Given that the series was filmed over some considerable months , I would have thought he would have been available to grant an interview similar to the other siblings.

Tonight's episode was definitely my favourite. I loved the clips introducing Savannah Phillips it was very sweet. I didn't know that Beatrice called the Queen Mother 'Gan Gan' or something similar. But my favourite part was from a broadcast by the Queen behind the scenes getting set up. She hears a plane/helicopter pass over and goes 'Oh!' and points up. It was so cute.

How sweet was little Savannah?! Such a smiley little thing!

All the grandchildren really came across well. I actually thought the least natural of the lot was William; I just had a feeling that he was choosing his words so carefully. On the other end of the scale was Zara saying that she just loves her Granny "to bits".

I think Beatrice called the Queen Mother 'Gang Gang'. At least that's what I heard.

The little introduction of Savannah was adorable, she is such a cutie. :D

Elly C, I believe Prince Charles did not participate because he is making his own documentary for the Jubilee.

I've heard that too, Molly, and I look forward to his personal tribute to HM.

I can recommend Andrew Marr's book accompanying the series. He starts out as the typical superior, Notting Hill, Guardian reading, media lefty who can't see the point of monarchy. After 18 months of following the Queen around he's very much changed his tune. As he says at the end of this series, the polls have been remarkably consistent for the last half century; the British like monarchy. The chances of that changing anytime soon are pretty remote.

Last edited:
Tonight's episode was definitely my favourite. I loved the clips introducing Savannah Phillips it was very sweet. I didn't know that Beatrice called the Queen Mother 'Gan Gan' or something similar. But my favourite part was from a broadcast by the Queen behind the scenes getting set up. She hears a plane/helicopter pass over and goes 'Oh!' and points up. It was so cute.

Loved this episode,yes,the Duke telling witty stories,the Queen stretched out on a sofa after the Coronation ceremonies,the grandchildren,and Beatrice referring to the Queen Mum as 'Ganggang'...well,she certainly was a "gang" on herself...grin...all in all absolutely wonderfull series!

Are there any links for those living in the U.S. who want to watch the series?

Elly C, I believe Prince Charles did not participate because he is making his own documentary for the Jubilee.
Thanks Molly - I did think it was a little weird he was so under represented.
Given the number of extracts from the Royal Family film/documentary, I'm wondering if there will be an airing of this especially for the Jubilee. I can't see there would be any major objections as many years have gone by since it was made.

Republicans.

I take great comfort in the huge discomfort that this series has undoubtedly given to the republican fringe, in the UK. The very idea that our country would have been better served, these last sixty years, by a succession of time-served Presidents, chosen from the ranks of the same self-serving political class who have done so much damage to our Nation, is frankly, contemptible. EIIR has already noted the example of Andrew Marr as a former republican turned Monarchist, the other examples are of course Lord Gus O`Donnell and Dame Helen Mirren. I had half expected the BBC to include hardline republicans such as Tony "Wedgie" Benn or the ever charmless Professor Stephen Hasler, but we were fortunately spared. I think this series has been a master stroke, congratulations to HM and her advisors, for agreeing to it, they have done more to promote the image of the Monarchy and it`s continuing relevance to the UK, than they can ever imagine.

It is a very good idea to liven up an inconspicuous garment with diamonds.

I take great comfort in the huge discomfort that this series has undoubtedly given to the republican fringe, in the UK. The very idea that our country would have been better served, these last sixty years, by a succession of time-served Presidents, chosen from the ranks of the same self-serving political class who have done so much damage to our Nation, is frankly, contemptible. EIIR has already noted the example of Andrew Marr as a former republican turned Monarchist, the other examples are of course Lord Gus O`Donnell and Dame Helen Mirren. I had half expected the BBC to include hardline republicans such as Tony "Wedgie" Benn or the ever charmless Professor Stephen Hasler, but we were fortunately spared. I think this series has been a master stroke, congratulations to HM and her advisors, for agreeing to it, they have done more to promote the image of the Monarchy and it`s continuing relevance to the UK, than they can ever imagine.

First and foremost I think this series is about celebrating Her Majesty. I doubt the 'discomfort' it may have caused republicans was the reason or even a thought when it came to making this documentary. I think we should celebrate Her Majesty, not bring the republicans into a discussion where they don't belong.

Context

To Lumutqueen - Of course this series was primarily made as a celebration of the Queen`s reign, and at no point in my original comment did i state otherwise. Comparing the service that The Queen has given these last six decades, to that of those who might otherwise have been in her place, is by no means inappropriate. Watching this series as a Monarchist, i could not help but think that it was a perfect answer to the carping critics of Her Majesty and if you have not encountered such people, then you are extremely fortunate.

Back
Top Bottom