The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Nobility

"The Crown" - Netflix plans £100m epic 20-episode TV drama series on The Queen

I thought this was worth its own thread, if not then mods can move/delete as appropriate:

Quote:
Online subscription service Netflix is set to order its first original British drama The Crown, a £100m (US$170m) series inspired by the life of the Queen.

Peter Morgan, who wrote 2006 film The Queen and recent stage play The Audience, will write the script with director Stephen Daldry also involved.
BBC News - Netflix plans original UK drama about the Queen

This is a pretty huge project. It's expected to be about 20 episodes, split across a couple of seasons, with at least 3 actresses likely to play HM during different periods of her life. Apparently it will begin with her marriage to Philip and cover the political, social and personal changes HM has experienced over her reign.

Netflix have done a pretty good job with House of Cards, for example, so there's reason to hope that this might be of a very high quality.

It's due to be released in 2016 and, shockingly, Dame Helen Mirren is understood not to be involved.

More information:

Netflix Queen Elizabeth II Epic Series Could Be Coming | Variety
Netflix Prepping Royal Drama Series From Stephen Daldry, Peter Morgan - Hollywood Reporter
Netflix's The Crown TV show to dramatise The Queen's six decades on the throne | Mail Online

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Courtier

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Felicity's Queen for a day in TV's 'biggest ever show' | Mail Online

Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Courtier

This is not going to be good, it is written by Peter Morgan. Helen Mirren's version of The Queen was not like Her Majesty in either style or personality.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Courtier

I thought someone would be interested in this, but apparently not.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Franky I quite liked how Helen Mirren portrayed the queen... But I think that a movie is enough... No need of more series...
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Nobility

Wow, so this is now going to be 60 hours and six seasons long?! No wonder the budget's so high!

I have to say that I quite liked Helen Mirren as the Queen. It's not possible for any actress to completely embody a still-living person that we all know so well, but she did a pretty good job.

I doubt that Peter Morgan is going to write all 60 episodes. He's going to be one of a number of writers given the scale of this thing. I'm a big fan of House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black which are both Netflix series so I'm mildly optimistic that this might be ok.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

More on the series

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Felicity's Queen for a day in TV's 'biggest ever show' | Mail Online
Old 07-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh I will totally watch this. Love the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know if this ins another show about the royals that's worth to be seen... But I must admint that it makes me curious!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The photos look pretty cool and accurate in the costumes. From the article it seems like The Audience play expanded from the setting of the weekly PM meeting scenario.

I loved the Queen, the movie. I thought they nailed the look of the film with the hair and costumes. I don't know the Queen's personality and whatever is written by it is through the filter of someone else. So whether or not Helen Mirren behaved like QEII did that week in August in the point for me. She looked the part, there are corgis and black labs in the right places, the Hermes headscarf.

Totally opposite of the Tudors or The White Queen where the costuming was awful and basically were glorified soap opera with historical characters.

I watched the Marco Polo series from Netflix and it looked gorgeous visually.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

My goodness, I think the budget for this series must be huge - the costumes look like they are exact copies! Really beautiful.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Nobility

The photographs of the costumes are amazing. Great to see such accuracy.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
My goodness, I think the budget for this series must be huge - the costumes look like they are exact copies! Really beautiful.
They (the media) say £100m.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

It has $170 million budget.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The costumes look great! I'm really looking forward to seeing this series.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Nobility

I can see me wanting to watch this for the costumes alone. Given that she got an honour, HM must have been reasonablely happy with Helen Mirren's efforts?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Helen is a Dame of the British Empire. The government picks who gets what for that order and the Queen gives it out. There are other orders such as the Garter, Thistle, Royal Victorian, Merit where is the Queen is the picker not the govt.

But they have met several times at various events since the movie and William made a granny joke at the Baftas so they can't think it was too terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Nobility

I don't think HM would have handed it over personally if she had very strong personal feelings, she could have dispatched PC or PW to do the honours instead. :)
Old 08-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Claire Foy played a very convincing but loathsome Anne Boleyn in the recent BBC series 'The Wolf Hall' .

John Lithgow will play Sir Winston Churchill.

The Crown (TV Series 2016– ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb