"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've really enjoyed watching this series and am looking forward to the next one...November 2017 is a long way off!

Does anyone know if this is on TV? and if so what Night it is on, in the UK?

This is a series which was created and developed by Netflix, not created in conjunction with any traditional TV channel. Chances are it will never be on TV, or at least not for a very long time.

The only way to watch it is to sign up for Netflix (they offer a 30-day free trial) or to use of the many, many illegal streaming sites. It's up to you.

Netflix does put out DVD sets out for their hit shows. Unfortunately with TV DVD box sets the previous season doesn't usually come out until right before the next season.

Isabelle Townsend...

...Peter Townsend's daughter from his second marriage, lives with her family in a house in France called "the Mill", which was the country house of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

I have hard times to stay awake. It is all like a slowly rippling river with pretty miscast characters. The only thing which makes it worth watching are the extremely good sceneries and camera-viewpoints. The story is like walking in mud, pffff... watching two tortoises making love seems the summum of suspense, compared with The Crown.

It's not 100% accurate, but it is a very soothing antidote to political news. Which is good enough for me right now.

It was never going to be 100% accurate. The Queen and Philip are not spilling their private conservations to Peter Morgan.

What is sad is that other than the Queen and Philip, almost everybody else is dead now.. Margaret, Townsend, Queen Mum, the couriers such as Tommy and Martin, the various British politicians even Porchie is dead.

Netflix does put out DVD sets out for their hit shows. Unfortunately with TV DVD box sets the previous season doesn't usually come out until right before the next season.

Yes I'd say it will be late 2017 before it gets a dvd release.

Watching The Crown. Looking at how The Queen and palace officials handled the Margaret and Peter situation. That couple was treated so badly.

Watching The Crown. Looking at how The Queen and palace officials handled the Margaret and Peter situation. That couple was treated so badly.

It is too bad.
I've heard Margaret always regretted her decision not to marry him, but who knows? It might not have worked if she had.

Still, her life since seemed very unhappy. Also lonely in the last resort.

Philip comes across as totally obnoxious, but since I've always considered him a domestic tyrant I am not surprised.
(I do sort of blame the Queen for allowing such treatment of Charles; these days that would be considered abusive!)

Last edited:
This is a work of fiction.

There are letters in the royal archive which show correspondence between HMQ and Eden where her express wish was to support her sister in her marriage to Townsend. It is true that Eden found himself a tad embarrassed as he was divorced.

The outcome was a cabinet decision that she could marry Townsend, but would not be able to stay in the line of succession. No leaving the country, no loss of HRH, no exile etc.

Margaret, when told this, asked for more time to think about her position and decided not to marry him.

As a drama I loved this series but it isn't all true - another example is putting Edward Prince of Wales words about the miners and the risks involved into the mouth of Margaret (when HMQ was overseas).

This is a work of fiction.

There are letters in the royal archive which show correspondence between HMQ and Eden where her express wish was to support her sister in her marriage to Townsend. It is true that Eden found himself a tad embarrassed as he was divorced.

The outcome was a cabinet decision that she could marry Townsend, but would not be able to stay in the line of succession. No leaving the country, no loss of HRH, no exile etc.

Margaret, when told this, asked for more time to think about her position and decided not to marry him.

As a drama I loved this series but it isn't all true - another example is putting Edward Prince of Wales words about the miners and the risks involved into the mouth of Margaret (when HMQ was overseas).

Margaret should've been allowed to wed Peter and remain in the line of succession.

I suspect that, in an earlier episode of The Crown at least, Prince Philip was right when it came to Margaret and Townsend. She would've been bored of him inside about a year, plus he was likely too old for her. I think it was the forbidden nature of the whole thing that was the main attraction for her.

The BBC had an article on this whole situation a few days ago. It makes clear that the Queen didn't oppose her sister's marriage and, although she would have had to give up her succession rights, Prime Minister Eden wrote, "Exclusion from the Succession would not entail any other change in Princess Margaret's position as a member of the Royal Family".

A very interesting part of the article:

One mystery is why the princess herself, only three days after the final draft of the proposal was produced, announced on 31 October 1955 that she would not be marrying Townsend after all.

A clue may come in a letter in the (National Archives) files, from the princess herself to Eden in August 1955. She says she will see Townsend in October: "It is only by seeing him in this way that I feel I can properly decide whether I can marry him or not." This letter indicates perhaps that her determination to marry him was not quite as strong as has been believed.

It was after this October meeting that she/he/they decided not to go ahead with the marriage.

Did the Queen stop Princess Margaret marrying Peter Townsend? - BBC News

I think Margaret's unhappiness was much more likely caused by a jealousy towards her sister and the fact that she could never really be star of the show.

I feel Margaret was 'not cut out for happiness' .She seemed a capricious Soul, at once yearning for Royal Status [EVEN the 'top job'] but also for a bohemian lifestyle totally at odds with it.

I just saw that Episode, and indeed it was a sad situation for both of them because I believe it was true love! But one thing Margrathe said to her sister that she didn't like that he got so much attention from the press. And thinking of Diane she had so much attention from the press, this was similar, Townsend took the downfall after that trip tp Ireland! It was really too mean not to let her to spend that 2 days with him!
I must say I like The Crown, I am not sure how realistic is, though.
I was very sad when Churchill's employee died, very tragic indeed!
It was a few things I never thought about the Queen, like the conversation with her uncle, when she is aking him to apologize to her because now she has to be a Queen and she wanted a private and simple life in the country.
Also never thought about Philip , that his children didn't have his last name, nor the had to move from their house when she became a Queen. and when she asked him to kneel to her in the coronation. I must say, he had to put up with all of not nice things! considering he is a man!
You don't see much of the children there .......
And sometimes, she seems not to really know what to do... immature..and insecure and other times so in control ....at such a young age..... I must say impressive......

I just saw that Episode, and indeed it was a sad situation for both of them because I believe it was true love! But one thing Margrathe said to her sister that she didn't like that he got so much attention from the press. And thinking of Diane she had so much attention from the press, this was similar, Townsend took the downfall after that trip tp Ireland! It was really too mean not to let her to spend that 2 days with him!
I must say I like The Crown, I am not sure how realistic is, though.
I was very sad when Churchill's employee died, very tragic indeed!
It was a few things I never thought about the Queen, like the conversation with her uncle, when she is aking him to apologize to her because now she has to be a Queen and she wanted a private and simple life in the country.
Also never thought about Philip, that his children didn't have his last name, nor the had to move from their house when she became a Queen. and when she asked him to kneel to her in the coronation. I must say, he had to put up with all of not nice things! considering he is a man!
You don't see much of the children there .......
And sometimes, she seems not to really know what to do... immature..and insecure and other times so in control ....at such a young age..... I must say impressive......
Just remember, this is a "fictional" dramatisation of the Queen's life from the death of her father. We actually know very little for certain except that which is in the public eye. Every single private moment is a "might have happened" this way or, diarised that way by someone present. Even those present cannot speak to HM mindset because they do not know the whys and wherefores of HM actions.

It is a fact that she had to assert herself, even with some of her own family, as there were definitely moves afoot to create a "Regency" on account of her sex and her youth (even that her dear uncle David could be used). Okay, so they forgot all about the Elizabethan Age and the Victorian Age, but even Victoria was raised in such a way as to enable her mother to control her . . . epic fail and perhaps they would have done well to remember that.

As to Prince Philip? He knew what the score was going in. The establishment was not generally in favour of him and he knew it when they married. They excluded him whenever they possibly could and took steps to limit his future influence over the Crown

But what is most important to remember is that this is fiction!

I agree Marg to enjoy it for what it is. I googled a few things I wondered about mainly to do with Winston Churchill some was spot on and others not as much but I can't wait for the next series

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I really enjoyed the show. I thought it was going to be terrible but it turned out to be great.

Yes, I am hook with the series! I don't like his secretary, forgot his name, tom? Very manipulative! Don't like him at all nor her uncle, who abdicate! he seems , bitter and I am glad he abdicated! Sometimes I think he use his love for Willies to get away from the responsibility of being a King, too much too hard from him, he choose the easy way out!
Fiction or not, it is probably a fact she didn't have a full education but she tried her hardest! I love to listen her to talk so softly and so strong statements!

I like how they portray the situation of a young woman in her age and time, which is terribly realistic, royalty or not, she must have asserted herself from day one and keep proving it until she was considered "old and wise" enough.

I also liked how they portrayed her relationship with Churchill, he was an old grumpy power hungry man but he was also one of these deeply patriotic men, so he probably considered his duty to groom the Queen to be a great power, he knew he wasn't going to live forever and tried to do his best by her.

There's been some really great casting: Pip Torrens as Tommy Lascelles is MAGNIFICENT, the quintaessential stiff-upper-lip British gentleman, John Lithgow gives Churchill a very "human" feel, Harriet Walker as Clementine is amazing, Greg Wise as Dickie Mountbatten is that charismatic, ambitious dude you don't want to have near, Eileen Atkins is now the go-for Queen Mary (this is her second or third time playing her?), Jared Harris paints such a sad King George VI you can't help but feel for him...

I've actually liked this a lot, I have chosen to see it with a willing suspension of disbelief, not focussing on specific historical details no one would know but rather on the story itself, how the strongest monarch we have ever known in our time came to be.

What I don't like about The Crown that it depicts The Queen as of having a very lonely life. They have Prince Philip's character away a lot and didn't cast any ladies in waiting for Her Majesty. The Queen is surrounded and supported by a cast of friends, family and ladies in waiting.

They (the media) say £100m.

I have been watching with my daughter, a costumer. We have been enjoying seeing all of the costume and set details, and noting how, for the most part, they are really nailing the period details!

Before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater, here's a reason to watch THE CROWN.
Most people have knowledge of the details of Elizabeth's coming into adulthood and the crown. Most people these days learn their understanding of "history" from drama, comic books and posts on social media. You may not like that. but it is true.
So, going forward, new generations around the world are getting a sense of how Elizabeth became who she is from watching this series and others like it.
Frankly, I prefer to understand what people see and how they get their ideas about the world and people in it. For me the cup is half full seeing a relatively young person suddenly thrust on the world stage. It's fascinating to see her and the people around her learn and cope. And, historical inaccuracies aside, I rather like the idea of millennials and founders understanding what a person with grit, a sense of duty and history can do with willful choices made in their young lives.
And, selfishly, I like being taken back to a time when it was all new to her. When she was finding her way. Before she had courtiers trained to within a millimeter of her will. It reminds me of what a journey it has been and what she accomplished. It helps me understand the choices she makes today.
I just don't see that more is to be gained from avoiding than from watching. But that's just me.

Yes to all this! :clap:

I've finished the ten episodes and found it wonderful,although the peter and Margaret story was not true according to the letter from Margaret which were found eight years ago. This makes a better story I guess. And they really play up the jealous sisters theme. I wonder, did Margaret actually offend people,when she stood in for hm, and, is there anything to the sisters not getting along which portrayed? I love the way the queen grows into her role with the terrible politicians

If Diana is popping up at the end of season 3, there has to be a big time jump or we are going to speed through the 60s and 70s in the next 2 seasons.

I haven't seen it but it beat GoT (and I thought season 6 was incredible) at last nights' GG, so I guess it must be really, really good!

Back
Top Bottom