The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I watched the first episode last night-- at least I tried to watch it, I really did. However, from the beginning things just jarred. For a start, the accents just weren't right, and I'm not talking about the US actor playing Winston. The Queen had a very distinct voice as a young woman, quite high pitched and very upperclass (naturally.)

I'm aware that plummy and cut glass accents stopped being taught in UK drama schools somewhere around 1975 but it's a problem I've noticed in other productions where younger actors in period TV dramas attempt to speak as the upper classes did generations ago. They usually make a valiant stab at it but sometimes it doesn't pay off and it didn't here, from the leads down. It was especially noticeable among the female actors. The actor playing Prince Philip wasn't too bad, though the timbre of his voice was very different to PP's.

I know this isn't a documentary. Far from it in fact. However, couldn't the casting directors have found actors that sort of approximated the likenesses of the people they were playing? The actor playing King George VI for example looked absolutely nothing like the frail looking King of the late 1940s/1950s. Princess Margaret was stunning looking as a teenager and young woman, with glorious eyes. 'The Crown's' Princess Margaret was drab and ordinary. Why did the actor who played Clementine Churchill, who wore her hair at that time in a very 1940's roll at the back, have a modern curly hairstyle?

As for errors, there were many. Just one as an example. No doctor, then or now, being issued into the presence of his sovereign, would have walked over to a desk where the monarch was seated and just sat down without an invitation to do so.

It's things like that, small things that would never have happened, that just irritated me so much that I switched off after a while. Sorry, 'The Crown' obviously had loads of money spent on it, but details matter. I won't be watching any more episodes.

I am glad you posted that I couldn't watch it either if it was like that. If they can't get things right it annoys the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 11-05-2016, 02:58 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The same for me. I stopped watching as I was turned of by the first episode when they had Princess Andrew in a nun's habbit and the Mountbatten's speaking German to one another. Princess Margaret was a miscast indeed, as was king George and the Queen Mother.

I think it is very difficult to get things right when making a film/series about living characters. Most often the production fails. The only convincing attempt I can remember was Helen Mirren in 'The Queen', though in that film all the other characters also resembled caricatures instead of real people.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Majesty

Netflix's new British monarchy drama The Crown reviews reveal success | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-05-2016, 05:22 AM
Nobility

I'm watching too. The occasional inconsistency does not bother me in the slightest. This is not a documentary, never claimed to be and never tried to be. The snobbish, 'I know better than they do' royal fanatics I see online who are dismissing the programme are so tiresome.

What it has done is introduce people who have little or no interest or knowledge of the RF to some of its history. It's broadly accurate so that can only be a good thing for the RF.

The hesitation in her marriage vows I saw differently. Not a woman who was unsure, but a woman who was struck by the gravity of what was happening, who was happy it was happening, but paused for a moment to fully try and grasp it. Amazing how people can interpret things differently.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
the actress playing Queen Mary did a great job.
Believe it or not this is Eileen Atkins second time playing Queen Mary,last time was in the 2002 Bertie and Elizabeth movie.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cX08m6i_h4...07-crown03.png
Old 11-05-2016, 08:53 AM

I started watching the series last night and got through the first three episodes.

I think it was exceptionally well done. Yes there were parts that weren't accurate (Princess Andrew in nun's habit for the wedding and the Princess Elizabeth flying the Sovereign's Standard on her car). But if you take it as a drama and not a historical documentary it is superb.

I thought the portrayal of the late King's death was very well done, and Eileen Atkins Queen Mary is excellent.

The accents aren't quite right, but it is difficult to recreate the tone and the plumminess of era.

I wasn't convinced by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, or The Princess Margaret. But again if you just take it purely as a drama you can see past this.

The jewels are ok, I've seen better recreations, but not the worst by any means. I think the Order of the Garter decorations were very good and true to how they appeared in the late 40s/early 50s.

I'm going to keep going with the remaining episodes and I just hope they are good as the first three.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

God Save The Queen!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Watched the first episode. I want to smack that cigarette out of the King's hand. There he was coughing his one lung up and still smoking like a chimney.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I'm watching too. The occasional inconsistency does not bother me in the slightest. This is not a documentary, never claimed to be and never tried to be. The snobbish, 'I know better than they do' royal fanatics I see online who are dismissing the programme are so tiresome.
What does snobbism have to do with it?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater, here's a reason to watch THE CROWN.
Most people have knowledge of the details of Elizabeth's coming into adulthood and the crown. Most people these days learn their understanding of "history" from drama, comic books and posts on social media. You may not like that. but it is true.
So, going forward, new generations around the world are getting a sense of how Elizabeth became who she is from watching this series and others like it.
Frankly, I prefer to understand what people see and how they get their ideas about the world and people in it. For me the cup is half full seeing a relatively young person suddenly thrust on the world stage. It's fascinating to see her and the people around her learn and cope. And, historical inaccuracies aside, I rather like the idea of millennials and founders understanding what a person with grit, a sense of duty and history can do with willful choices made in their young lives.
And, selfishly, I like being taken back to a time when it was all new to her. When she was finding her way. Before she had courtiers trained to within a millimeter of her will. It reminds me of what a journey it has been and what she accomplished. It helps me understand the choices she makes today.
I just don't see that more is to be gained from avoiding than from watching. But that's just me.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Majesty

Today I started to watch the series, and although I am at the very beginning, I like it a lot. It is true that sometimes one wants to groan for the suspense, inaccuracies or the dramatic tone, but all in all I think the series seems to be well done...It is exciting to finally see something about queen Elizabeth and her life!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Courtier

anybody know's which prince ernst of hanover is the one on the series ?!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
What does snobbism have to do with it?
The condescending and patronising way in which the makers of this programme, along with the actors who play the characters, have been attacked on sites by royal fanatics perfectly meets the definition of snobbishness.

The idea that nobody can possibly know the RF as well as they do, that their interpretation and their interpretation only are valid and these johnny-come-latelys could never really understand the BRF is clear snobbery.

I have seen criticism of this programme for the apparently shocking inaccuracy in the length of Princess Elizabeth's pearl necklace. What nonsense!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not a snob. I really did try to watch that first episode. However, the people being portrayed really didn't come alive for me because physically the actors just didn't resemble the characters much at all, a problem with historical figures of the 20th century that are vividly remembered, I suppose.

(Why cast a physically robust man as King George VI when he quite obviously from photos and film looked extremely ill for at least the last two years of his life?)

Nor did these actors sound like the people that I've heard so many times in my life, (I can remember upperclass English accents of the 1950's very well and I can tell a forced faux accent when I hear one.) Also, various inaccuracies jarred from the beginning for me, but I could have ignored that if miscasting and the voices hadn't ruined it.

I did thoroughly enjoy Helen Mirren in 'The Queen' and Colin Firth in 'The King's Story' so I'm not completely without imagination.

I know it's not a documentary and will try and watch another episode. However, if I don't like this series after I've given it a good go, then I don't like it. I don't need to be accused of being 'snobbish' or 'tiresome'. Likes and dislikes are very subjective anyway.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

I have not started to watch yet but from what I have read in the proper news media, this is not a documentary but rather a drama, and very well done by most standards. One of my granddaughters who is a teacher actually was pleased when a few of her high school students have watched and are now interested the history of England. Up until this point they could care less about any history. She then turned it on and although found a few minor faults, she was thrilled that it caught the interest of 16 year olds and got them asking questions. A good thing. I'm sure not what the producers exactly had in mind but anything to encourage the young to read more on a subject is worth it.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's a delight to see actress, Victoria Hamilton, playing Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mum.

It really annoys me that there's a refusal to show The Queen crying in film or series. Don't they know she's human and cries like everybody else?

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I am starting episode 3 right now. I like Claire Foy. The actress who plays Margaret towers over Elizabeth. Margaret was even shorter than her sister.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've watched the first 2 and have to say I thought the second episode was very touching. I've no idea how the death of the King would have been handled within Sandringham but it made me emotional watching this portrayal!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Nobility

I watched all 10 episodes in 1 sitting and loved it! I can't wait to watch it again. I hope they make more seasons and follow all through her reign.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Courtier

I stayed up all night watching this. I really enjoyed it and look forward to Season 2.

I tihnk Claire Foy does a Great Job as The Queen.

I have to admit I really wanted someone to smack the Duke of Windsor. Maybe it was how The Actor portrayed him but was Edward really that nasty in Real Life?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

I watched it the whole way through. I think it is a masterpiece as a drama.