"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little over a month to go,really looking forward to this series!

Will it be available only with Netflix? i don't want to subscribe just to see this series... :/

There maybe DVDs released but that doesn't happen with tv shows until the next season comes out. I know Orange is the New Black which is Netflix original has season dvds.

The episodes will drop all together. So you can just pay for a month, watch the episodes then cancel. Do the same next year with the new season. One month of Netflix is cheaper than buying the box set of the show on DVD.

Netflix usually has a free trial month or your friends who have Netflix maybe generous with their log in information.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Apparently, The Crown is the most expensive television show ever made.

Quite astonishing to think that this American company chooses to lavish this unprecedented amount of money on a TV programme about the British Royal Family. Testament, I suppose, to the fact the Queen in particular is a truly iconic figure.

Supposedly the RF were 'nervous' about the programme but, in their 5 star review of the first two episodes, The Daily Telegraph says they have nothing to worry about. They say it's actually a 'PR triumph' for the RF:

The Crown: Netflix's astonishing royal gamble pays off – review

Very much looking forward to this!

JMO - the series is being made in the US because there are fewer restrictions and less likelihood of undue influence. And by undue, I mean there will be few legal restrictions here (beyond libel - but they will get around that by saying it is fictionalized).

But it will be sold all over the world. Just as it would had it been made in the UK.

I hope they do a quality job and make it worth watching for the history. I hope they don't send it into the trashy zone - though that could happen. We will see.

A lot will depend on how charismatic they write the leading characters to be. I've always seen the Queen as compelling rather than charismatic. But they will probably write all the main characters to be charismatic and emotional rather than in control and subtly fascinating.

We will see.

They didn't make the series in the US. It was filmed in the U.K. Netflix isn't going to sell it to other channels in different countries. They want you to join Netflix to watch it not watch on PBS. It's just going to be on Netflix and then a box set of DVDs if successful. Netflix has made epic in scope shows before like Marco Polo which was filmed in various countries.

I'm really looking forward to this ;)

I hope the waiting will be worthy...

I absolutely cannot wait for this show.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Hugo Vickers is one of the more reverent Royal historians; if he's complaining about the Windsors acting like what most wealthy upper class people did at the time than I'd say the series is probably on the money in terms of accuracy of sentiment.

I think that's the problem. Some just don't want people to think the royals pretty much act like upper class people and everybody else. There may be some errors though.

Agreed, it's unlikely she was taking advice from uncle David at that time and princess Margaret didn't have the dicipline for being a proper regent. That said, Bertie's potty mouth, wallis's pillow talk, and Edens drug habit all sound accurate to me.

Also what's wrong with showing just how much of a sick man G6 was at the time? Cancer in the old days prior to chemo and radio therapy was pretty much a death sentence along with it being taboo in general meant that Bertie vomiting blood would have been the least of his symptoms.

Last edited:
I know this is kind of cheesy, But Queen Mary talking to Elizabeth about how the Crown must win was so beautiful to me.

And total fiction.

I never said it was reality, I just like the speech and how convincing it was.

Last edited:
I think the real issue between this and (say) Victoria is that the 2 main characters are alive so errors of dialogue or interpretation of events could impact on them.
Its not about minor errors (wrong title) or clothes or even products that hadn't been invented - its giving the living alleged motivations or opinions.

But I dont think it will upset the BRF as much as the "experts"

The whole film 'the Queen' was largely invented dialogue, as the writer has said he aims to get the truth of what was said in meaning but not in the actual words spoken.

The RF have kept silent on this new series and I suspect that rather like when "The Queen' was released they will wait to see public reaction to it before reacting themselves.

I have never seen any comments from a Royal about The Queen. They aren't going to comment on this show either.

The dialogue is made up. One will never know the real dialogue the actual people have.

The whole film 'the Queen' was largely invented dialogue, as the writer has said he aims to get the truth of what was said in meaning but not in the actual words spoken.

The RF have kept silent on this new series and I suspect that rather like when "The Queen' was released they will wait to see public reaction to it before reacting themselves.

I am probably being stupid but how on earth does the writer aim to get the meaning of what was said when neither he or anyone else knows what was said?

I agree about the BRF wait and see attitude.

I am probably being stupid but how on earth does the writer aim to get the meaning of what was said when neither he or anyone else knows what was said?

I agree about the BRF wait and see attitude.

This writer, like any other writer trying to reproduce actual events, has to create appropriate dialogue and language based on what is known and available. We know some factual things, and those who create dialogue take it from there, making it both realistic and entertaining at the same time.

It is a tv-show, aiming to show a very grand happening from a more insider-angle. There is nothing wrong with that.
The Queen and the Windsor RF won't be fussed about this series. 'I must be seen to be believed' is a quote I seem to remember being attributed to the Queen. Well, this series brings 60-70 year old events to the forefront of the minds of new generations. That's a good thing in itself, and as the Queen continues to serve as the now longest-reigning living monarch or head of state in the world, it may remind us all just a little of what she went through, almost 65 years ago, when she became a woman ruler in a post-war world.

:previous:I understand that but I think this writer is just a poser.

This is a work of fiction using real life characters.

I dont think the BRF will care unless it includes something seriously detrimental - unlikely IMO

Spot on

:previous:I understand that but I think this writer is just a poser.

This is a work of fiction using real life characters.

I dont think the BRF will care unless it includes something seriously detrimental - unlikely IMO

Just like any other historical fiction using a loose framework of real events and real people. The problem is that this is how most people get their history. They don't see it as a work of fiction.

:previous: Precisely! Who among us hasn't cringed at people waxing lyrical about the "Stag" scene in "The Queen", all having the warm fuzzies and talking about what HM thought and felt and, some even about what the wretched stag thought and felt. All total saccharine bollocks!

:previous: Precisely! Who among us hasn't cringed at people waxing lyrical about the "Stag" scene in "The Queen", all having the warm fuzzies and talking about what HM thought and felt and, some even about what the wretched stag thought and felt. All total saccharine bollocks!

It's almost like it's historical fiction which often incorporates metaphors.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom