"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a Daily Mail article that explores the relationship between The Queen and Margaret Thatcher, ahead of the release of Season 4 of the Crown. Apparently it will cover from 1977 to 1990.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Margaret-Thatcher-Queen-like-twins-right.html

It would interesting to see how The Crown portrays the relationship between The Queen and Thatcher. Previous historians and media works have shown the alleged "frosty" atmosphere in the weekly meetings between the Queen and her Prime Minister. However, Peter Morgan, The Crown's writer have described them as "twins who are not the same". Lord Powell, Mrs Thatcher’s most senior foreign affairs adviser, described a warm relationship, especially at Lady Thatcher’s 80th birthday party.

I personally think The Queen actually likes Thatcher, despite their differences. The two main reasons are
  • The Queen awarded Thatcher the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit
  • The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh attended Thatcher's funeral. The only other Prime Minister's funeral that The Queen attended was Winston Churchill

The Queen also allegedly made an offer to make Mrs Thatcher a countess, which she declined as far as I understand.

Season 4 Teaser

Netflix UK & Ireland has released a short video, containing multiple mini clips of the Crown, mainly focusing on Charles and Diana

Netflix UK & Ireland @NetflixUK
“Here is the stuff of which fairy tales are made.” Hmm, OK.
The Crown S4, coming 15 Nov.
1:00 AM · Oct 14, 2020·Twitter Media Studio

Replying to @NetflixUK
Bonus teaser fact: The voice you can hear throughout this piece is the ~actual~ Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, from the ~actual~ speech he gave during Charles and Diana’s wedding. (Sorry if that’s a spoiler.)
1:03 AM · Oct 14, 2020·Twitter Web App​

This is also part of the official teaser for Season 4

Tatler has also updated the Crown Season 4 page
https://www.tatler.com/article/the-crown-season-4

Last edited:
Netflix UK & Ireland has released a short video, containing multiple mini clips of the Crown, mainly focusing on Charles and Diana
“Here is the stuff of which fairy tales are made.” Hmm, OK.
The Crown S4, coming 15 Nov.
1:00 AM · Oct 14, 2020·Twitter Media Studio

Replying to @NetflixUK
Bonus teaser fact: The voice you can hear throughout this piece is the ~actual~ Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, from the ~actual~ speech he gave during Charles and Diana’s wedding. (Sorry if that’s a spoiler.)
1:03 AM · Oct 14, 2020·Twitter Web App​

This is also part of the official teaser for Season 4

Tatler has also updated the Crown Season 4 page
https://www.tatler.com/article/the-crown-season-4

If you go the YouTube page, the most common comment seems to be that the Netflix teaser looked like a trailer for a horror movie. I quite agree, especially with that Dracula-like voice of the archbishop on the background.

Last edited:
If you go the YouTube page, the most common comment seems to be that the Netflix teaser looked like a trailer for a horror movie. I quite agree, especially with that Dracula-like voice of the archbishop on the background.

Very good uses of dramatic irony and foreshadowing, considering they're not exactly portraying something cheery.

This has long been seen as the season where "sh-- gets real".

"Ms Parker Bowles will not marry the prince despite the end of his marriage, the Sun newspaper says today. She had come to the reluctant conclusion after a series of heart to heart meetings with the prince, the paper says."

That part, at least, did not hold up.

Not even Runcie held the authority to advise them not to get married (certainly not to stop the marriage) and he seems to have thought they would adjust. It's an interesting article, though, moreso in hindsight.

:previous:

Certainly in hindsight it seems obvious that Runcie's wedding address was written and delivered as a cautionary warning to Charles and Diana in pointing out the serious nature of matrimony and emphasizing what being married truly entails. It seems that Runcie was worried but also hopeful that they might both adjust to the marriage. Of course, we know now that even Diana was having second thoughts and reservations, but her sisters told her it was 'too late' to back out, humorously making reference to her face being on the 'tea towels.'

For Diana's grandmother, Lady Fermoy, to suggest that "Diana would never be under control until she fell in love with someone," truly and harshly ignores the fact that Diana did believe she was in love. What she actually needed and as we now know, hopelessly hoped for, was that someone (indeed her husband) would love her back unconditionally! That's the stickler. Fermoy should have been more compassionate toward her granddaughter, Diana, and less accepting of Charles' infidelities. They all knew that Charles was in love with Camilla Parker Bowles and that he was 'depressed' over in essence being strong-armed to marry Diana, and do his duty!

Runcie looking down on Diana over a decade later and calling her an "actress and a schemer," is the classic case of 'blaming the victim.' Diana was essentially just out of teenage-hood. She was led down the St. Paul's Cathedral aisle like a lamb to the slaughter. It's not her fault that she had to weather the royal storm and to grow up isolated within the gilded cage of the British royal family. Certainly, she was not perfect, but who is? Diana did the best she could to survive and to find her own identity and to discover and embrace her womanhood, at the same time she was drowning in that antiquated system. She made mistakes, but I admire her for her empathy and compassion for others, and for fighting back and never succumbing to being abused, dismissed, and minimized.

There's been so much nonsense by RR and royal commentators these days about the importance of choosing monarchical duty over love. All the tragic evidence we've seen in the British royal family and most recently in the Belgian royal family suggests to me that sanity, love and personal happiness should come before blind and miserable submission to an ancient, unforgiving institution. BTW, my comments have nothing to do with Edward VIII's abdication. The Duke of Windsor was unsuited to be King. Far from being 'in love' with Wallis Simpson, he was pathetically obsessed with Wallis Simpson due to his own sad pathologies rooted in childhood abuse (by nannies) and neglect by his parents who although they loved their children, were unable to demonstrate and express their love.

It will be interesting to see how The Crown seasons 4 and 5 will deal with the multi-layered and unforgettable story of Diana and her influence and impact on the royal family at that point in history. Since it is a dramatization, the production is bound to over-focus on some conflicts and to not necessarily get the gist and details of every occurrence exactly right.

Last edited:
Also, Runcie's reference to Diana being a 'schemer,' simply highlights the fact that it was actually the Queen Mother and Lady Fermoy who were the schemers. If Diana later had the grit and gumption to rebel and to try and 'scheme' her way out of something suffocating and dehumanizing that she had been 'schemed' into as a teenager, so be it. Chickens always come home to roost.

I know this article is based on speculation and rumours from The Daily Mail and The Sun, but I think Tatler is making it tongue in cheek or even "taking a micky" out of the drama surrounding Dominic West and The Daily Mail and The Sun. I actually laughed at the title and the blurb below that answers the question! :lol:

Is Dominic West really going to play Prince Charles in The Crown?
Surely not
https://www.tatler.com/article/dominic-west-prince-charles-the-crown

The article however did stated that Australian actress Elizabeth Debicki is set to play Diana, Princess of Wales in Season 5 & 6.

Last edited:
I could not envisage Dominic West playing the Prince of Wales not in a million years.

:previous:

I agree, I don't think that Dominic West looks like Prince Charles, unless the makeup is brilliant in emulating him.

Emma Corrin (playing Diana), Josh O'Connor (playing Charles) and Emerald Fennell (playing Camilla) did an interview with Elizabeth Holmes from Town and Country magazine. They also did some photoshoots.

A Royally Candid Interview with The Crown's Emma Corrin, Josh O'Connor, and Emerald Fennell
The new season of The Crown exposes the drama, betrayal, and lies that drive the monarchy. Oh, and then there’s that affair…
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...-o-connor-emerald-fennell-season-4-interview/

The Town and Country Magazine also wrote separate articles on Emerald Fennell and Emma Corrin

The Crown's Emerald Fennell Restarted Smoking to Play Camilla Parker-Bowles
"There’s a personality type I think that goes with it," the actress told Town & Country.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...amilla-parker-bowles-the-crown-smoking-quote/

Emma Corrin, The Crown's Princess Diana, Thinks History Is Repeating Itself with Meghan Markle
Plus, showrunner Peter Morgan weighs in on the Sussex drama.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...r-morgan-meghan-markle-prince-harry-comments/

Last edited:
Gillian Anderson talks about playing Mrs Thatcher in the upcoming Series 4 of the Crown.

Interesting... Slight Season 4 spoilers, but Josh and Emma say they didn't believe or play Charles and Diana as though they were doomed to fail.

Netflix has released another teaser for Season 4, this time on the relationship between The Queen and Margaret Thatcher & between Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales.

Queen: “And if she doesn’t bend, what then?”
Margaret: “She will break.”
The Crown S4, 15 November.
1:00 AM · Oct 30, 2020·Twitter Media Studio​

Just a little over 2 weeks to go till Season 4 airs!

Is 'she' Diana? Because if she is I can't imagine the Queen sitting down to a cosy chat with Margaret Thatcher about the marital relationship between Charles and Diana. Or any other family drama for that matter.

Last edited:
Is 'she' Diana. Because if she is I can't imagine the Queen sitting down to a cosy chat with Margaret Thatcher about the marital relationship between Charles and Diana. Or any other family drama for that matter.

I think the dialogue at the end is between The Queen, Queen Mother and Princess Margaret (who said "she will break"). The editing of multiple clips makes this teaser "very dramatic" and sometimes hard to identify the person. :online2lo:dizzy:

Thanks. A chat between the Queen and her sister about Diana would be more realistic.

Margaret Thatcher was the PM of the UK between 1979 and 1990. That period encompassed a whole lot of Charles and Diana's personal relationship. To me, it would stand to reason that with all the frenzy and rumors and speculation starting to take over the media in the late 80s and my own opinion that the British monarchy and the "Firm" not leaving things up to chance and being prepared for whatever may come their way, that the Queen and her PM would have discussed all the "what ifs" and the possible "official" stance to take during their private weekly meetings.

The Crown does "fictionalize" a lot of historical trends of events and put words into conversations between the main characters that have never historically happened as fact. A conversation between the Queen and PM Thatcher would illustrate the tensions that arose from Diana and Charles' marriage in 1981 to becoming a full blown "War of the Wales" by 1990 when Thatcher left office.

Just my take on it.

Elizabeth Emmanuel, one of the designers of Diana's wedding dress has written an article on Tatler after watching Emma Corrin's portrayal.

Princess Diana's wedding dress designer on reliving that historic moment in The Crown
Elizabeth Emmanuel - one half of the then husband and wife design duo, David and Elizabeth Emmanuel - recounts seeing actress Emma Corrin bring to life their famous bridal creation on the new series of The Crown
https://www.tatler.com/article/eliz...a-corrin-in-dianas-wedding-dress-on-the-crown

I was watching the Behind the scences Youtube video of Season 4 - and this is the Christmas of 1989 Family shot. (time stamp 2:34)

Seems like too many children?

I would assume this is supposed to be the family lunch at BP. If it is supposed to be the at Sandringham it is not only too many children but the ages are wrong e.g. who are the two girls supposed to be (in 1989 Beatrice was one and Eugenie not born). If they are supposed to be the Duke of Gloucester's daughters they should be 12 and 9.

I thought it was the Kent and Gloucester kids as well - with William, Harry , Peter and Zara. It does seem wrong in that the clothes make it an evening event, but there are kids there as well :)

Guy Kelly from The Telegraph has written an article on how to make The Crown "more interesting" and "jazz things up". I don't if Guy Kelly is just fooling around (and being a windup merchant) or actually being serious though. One of the highlight is casting Dominic West as Charles and Lily James as Camilla (after their supposed "affair" and the drama is still going on)

Four ways to make The Crown more exciting
As the new series of the Crown hits our screens next week, Guy Kelly considers all the ways Peter Morgan could take it next
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/fo...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1604765655
1. Be bold with casting
I have no major issues with the already announced Imelda Staunton as Liz, nor Jonathan Pryce as Phil; but if the rumours are true that Dominic West is to be Charles, at least cast Lily James as Camilla – it’s simply a waste not to. We’ve got the young princes coming in, so let’s have the kid from About a Boy (he’s still about 11, yes? I’ll check) as Harry and Nigel Havers as William, because age-blind casting is fashionable and he’d be great. Andrew? I’ve always thought he looks a bit like a penguin, so maybe just a big penguin? Either a penguin or David Walliams. Anne? Let’s have the real Anne and tell her it’s a documentary, if only because her confusion would be funny. Edward? Oh, who cares.

Last edited:
I'm anxiously awaiting the US release of The Crown's new season here. It's supposed to hit Netflix at 3:00 am EST so I have about an hour and a half to make a snack and send hubby and dog off to sleep and just sit and enjoy the season.

It helps that I spent my entire day Saturday sleeping so can really binge to my heart's content here. Geeesh its good to be retired. :lol:

To be honest - after watching the first few episodes today, I do not know that they I will finish it up and I doubt I will watch the series again.

Warning - Slight spoiling

I have read a few reviews but I really didn't need to know that this was going to turn into the Diana show in the 1980's - it was expected so that was not really my problem.
It was just that they purposely said that they would not resort to caricature of characters , but that is essentially what they have done to the characters of the Queen Mother, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. I understand that they have high paid actors in the other roles so it is really easy for them to make the others the villains of this story. It is just very sloppy research and I have to say bad writing.
It is almost like they have agreed to portrait Prince Charles as the romantic misunderstood soul who cannot be blames for Camilla or Diana or indeed anything, as he is a victim on fate. Diana as the trapped butterfly who is been crashed, Andrew as the son lead astray, Anne as the great daughter no one knows about and Edward as the money hungry free loader. This is no doubt done to setup upcoming plotlines.

Then there is the very bad juxtaposition of the assassination of the Earl Mountbatten with the hunting and fishing of the royals. Maybe I am reading too much into it but the depiction of blood sport in this episode, clearly shows the attitude of the writers once again.
Usually Morton is the king of subtle gestures , but this season it is repeat, repeat an just in case you haven't understood his undertone - I will yell it at you again.

"King of subtle gestures"? Whose idea was it to have Diana and Camilla lunching at "Menage à Trois"? :nonono:

I'm only at episode 3, and I'm annoyed. The terrible and flat-out wrong story of Queen Mary, Prince Eddy, and King George doesn't help, although I learned this show was pure drama, not history, long ago.

Back
Top Bottom