The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Olivia Coleman was already announced as the new Elizabeth. She is signed on. The same with Helena Bonham Carter.

Paul Bettany as Philip isn’t confirmed and the latest report is he has withdrawn himself from consideration. His wife Jennifer Connelly is signed up for a tv show based on The Snowpiercer movie. So he may not want to separate his family (they has 2 school age kids) to come film here in the UK.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Olivia Colman explains how she got the part of Queen Elizabeth in The Crown speaking to Radio Times before Xmas.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

Claire Foy did an amazing job and if Olivia Colman is indeed taking over to the play the part of the Queen, she has form since she played the part of the Queen Mother a few years ago:

http://womenitems.com/wp-content/upl...y-women-21.jpg
Claire Foy is so good in this role that I have wondered why they don't just "age" her with makeup and let her continue to play it? But, I am sure Olivia Coleman will be great, too.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Majesty

I find myself at a loss to understand the need to denigrate the BRF with lazy Cookie, perpetually manipulated QE, sleazy, adulterous Philip, etc.

Truth is stranger than fiction and the BRF certainly have a story worth telling, just not in the "Dallas" scheme of things. The people that worked for them and their country have had their reputations trashed, all in the name of "artistic license", and the BRF have been belittled and treated as pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

Obviously, nobody ever taught them about the hand that feeds them. Try doing without the BRF and discover that an empty palace or castle is just that. Thousands come to the UK to do the Royal Tours, to see where the Queen lives and hope to catch a glimpse of a royal meanwhile, the Netflix is busy roasting the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Williams wedding brought in millions in tourism, etc. and Harry's wedding is already generating a fair amount of income and yet "The Crown" wallows in historical inaccuracies which are unforgivable when writing about real people who are still alive. Obviously, the producers are too lazy to research the actual people they were writing about. But hundreds of thousands, even millions of people think this is the "real truth".
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I think it has been proven that empty palaces are just as profitable as filled ones; at least according to the tourism to France. Don't quote me on that...
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Olivia Colman explains how she got the part of Queen Elizabeth in The Crown speaking to Radio Times before Xmas.

I was IN PAIN watching Derek Jacoby in this clip. Off topic, I know, but he is a treasure and you can actually observe him thinking "why am I here, they are ignoring me."

As long as Olivia does not go all aristo-look-down-the-nose (which she has in a few roles) I think she will be great. Elizabeth is above - but she does tend to look across, not down OR to use her dry wit.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Majesty

I really like Olivia Colman.

LaRae
Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Olivia Coleman was already announced as the new Elizabeth. She is signed on. The same with Helena Bonham Carter.

Paul Bettany as Philip isn’t confirmed and the latest report is he has withdrawn himself from consideration. His wife Jennifer Connelly is signed up for a tv show based on The Snowpiercer movie. So he may not want to separate his family (they has 2 school age kids) to come film here in the UK.
Paul Bettany might also feel he is too close to the subject matter - He is The Countess of Wessex's cousin.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Paul is out for the role of Prince Philip:
Paul Bettany is 'out of the running to take over in Crown' | Daily Mail Online

Matt didn’t play the best Prince Philip IMO. He portrayed Prince Philip almost as a shy person. We all know Prince Philip carried himself as a very confident and upright man.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Aristocracy

Even though The Crown is fiction, Princess Margaret's character has some of the best lines in the series and I can surely imagine the real Princess Margaret saying them:

"People like you don't get to insult people like me, they get to be eternally grateful."

When the Queen informed Margaret there had been complaints from her royal neighbours at KP due to her renovation work:

"Who sent you on this ugly mission? Marina? She'd do well to remember her place. As a low ranking member of your husband's refugee family, she's lucky to be here at all."

"Oh is it Alice? That cantankerous old bat."

Laughed my head off on this part.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post

"Who sent you on this ugly mission? Marina? She'd do well to remember her place. As a low ranking member of your husband's refugee family, she's lucky to be here at all."

Margaret should feel lucky that Grand Duchess Vladimir didn't rise from the grave to get her for dissing her granddaughter 😂
Old 01-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Even though The Crown is fiction, Princess Margaret's character has some of the best lines in the series and I can surely imagine the real Princess Margaret saying them:

"People like you don't get to insult people like me, they get to be eternally grateful."

When the Queen informed Margaret there had been complaints from her royal neighbours at KP due to her renovation work:

"Oh is it Alice? That cantankerous old bat."

She said all whilst polishing off a bottle of Scotch and was meant to be pregnant
Old 01-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
She said all whilst polishing off a bottle of Scotch and was meant to be pregnant
That's Maggie for you 😋
Old 01-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Vanessa Kirby will be a hard act to follow though I'm sure Helena Bonham Carter will do a good job in seasons 3 and 4!

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/f...8_thecrown.jpg
Old 01-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Margaret should feel lucky that Grand Duchess Vladimir didn't rise from the grave to get her for dissing her granddaughter ��
Quote:
And there's more

Queen: "Goodness. The dining table in the same room as the kitchen?"

Margaret: "It's modern. It's egalitarian."

Queen: "You're the least egalitarian person that I know."

"The whole nasty, jealous circus, cooped up in this ridiculous compound, furious because we got the largest apartment."
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know who I’d like to see as an older Philip- Bill Nighy.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-30-2018, 01:20 AM
Commoner

The Crown is fiction, but with characters who are/were real persons. I think, if thestory is based on real persons, there will always be families, people who get hurt by the portrait. For me personally, it doesn't need to get 100% accurate. If i am interested enough in the person, to watch a film/series about, which is usual thing for me (although in seldom cases, i only watch it, because of the actress/actor who has a part in it), i will do quite some reading afterwards, to get an accurater picture.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Aristocracy

That time of the year...and one of the most powerful scenes on the show.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

"Congratulations, by the way."

Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hugh Laurie is the Prince Philip for the 3rd season of The Crown

Hugh Laurie to replace Matt Smith as Prince Philip in The Crown | Daily Mail Online