The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 AM
Royal Highness

The "huge twist" is...

...that HM wears mini-skirts and DOES the TWIST.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-24-2017, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's on Netflix. It doesn't have sponsors. The Queen and Philip are going to have Andrew and Edward. Margaret is going to marry Antony Armstrong-Jones. In season 1, we knew the King was going to die, Elizabeth would become Queen, Queen Mary would die and Margaret didn't marry Peter but it was still interesting. I watch the Dunkirk movie today. I still found it to be a great movie even though I knew the British forces got off that beach. I cried at the scene where the little boats show up.
My apologies to you Skippyboo as I do not know anything about Netfix.
And I got my movies mixed up for I was thinking about the PPS show on Queen Victoria which I hope is coming on soon. That I really enjoyed a great deal, this show that you are discussing, I know nothing about it.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:14 AM
Majesty

I have seen The Crown and it was a hard-to-swallow series, the praises for it were beyond my understanding. I had to hit myself to stay awake. Poor acting, poor storyline, poor similarities with real persons and real events. Big thumb down!
Old 07-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Exactly these fantasy intimate talks, the romantic scenes between the Duke and Princess Elizabeth, the poor similarities with King George VI, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret... Even the scenery with the coronation was so wrong.

Wrong
King George VI coughing up blood into the toilet while the series opened in 1947. The King wasn't diagnosed with lung cancer until four years later, the blood-spewing was most unlikely at that point.

Wrong
In the series Westminster Abbey was richly decorated with flowers. In real it was very sparse because of post-war austerity: picture

Wrong
In the series the bride was nervous and stumbled her vows. In reality the King wrote a letter: "You were so calm and composed during the service, and said your words with such conviction." link

Wrong

Princess Alice (the groom's mother) wore a nun's habit at the wedding. That is not true: picture (Princess Alice is in dark dress next to Princess Margaret)

Wrong
In the series there was a caption to pass time: "Twelve months later, eight months pregnant". In reality Prince Charles was already born when couple celebrated their first wedding anniversary!

Wrong
In the series King George VI had his lung removed with his family waiting. But Queen Mary was at Marlborough House, Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip were at Clarence House and the two toddlers Charles and Anne were in Scotland... Link

Wrong
In the episode featuring the great fog, there seems a sort of affair between Winston Churchill and his secretary, Venetia Scott. In real life there was no Mrs Scott at all. Link.

Wrong
In the series Prince Philip was struggling to kneel before the Queen at her Coronation. In real he just kneeled anyway. Prince Philip was royalborn himself and knew (knows) how it works, do it seems unlikely that he would have had a problem with this.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I have seen The Crown and it was a hard-to-swallow series, the praises for it were beyond my understanding. I had to hit myself to stay awake. Poor acting, poor storyline, poor similarities with real persons and real events. Big thumb down!

Poor storyline ???? What did you expect?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Haven't watched the whole thing but from what I've seen the only actor I don't like is the one playing Prince Phillip; everyone else is rather impressive.
MTE, Philip was one of the best looking men I've ever seen and Matt Smith is "strange" looking to be honest

Claire Foy as QEII is amazing tho, it's interesting to see how things would have been in such a turbulent stage of her life, she was supposed to have had more time to get ready.

I am not very satisfied with the way they portrayed the Queen Mother either, she's "weak" here and we all know she was the rock of this family during her entire life.

And frankly, this is to be seen with a pinch of salt and suspension of disbelief, if you want historical accuracy, go for a documentary, this is a tv show based on real events but of course they would tweak a lot of things to create storylines and such.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
MTE, Philip was one of the best looking men I've ever seen and Matt Smith is "strange" looking to be honest

Claire Foy as QEII is amazing tho, it's interesting to see how things would have been in such a turbulent stage of her life, she was supposed to have had more time to get ready.

I am not very satisfied with the way they portrayed the Queen Mother either, she's "weak" here and we all know she was the rock of this family during her entire life.

And frankly, this is to be seen with a pinch of salt and suspension of disbelief, if you want historical accuracy, go for a documentary, this is a tv show based on real events but of course they would tweak a lot of things to create storylines and such.
A 100 million dollar production and still then showing factual errors which could have been avoided by simply watching the pictures: Princess Alice was not in a nun habit at the wedding: fact. Westminster Abbey was sparsely decorated because of the austerity and rationing after the war: fact. Prince Charles was already born when the couple celebrated their first wedding anniversary: fact.

"Tweaking" because of the storyline? Let the bride be nervous and stumble over her vows while in reality she was self-assured and clear? Let the Prince hesistate to kneel before his Queen while the world could see in the very first coloured Eurovision live broadcast that he simply went down the knees to bring homage. Etc. What is the point of this "tweaking". To portray Elizabeth as a weak and insecure woman and to portray Philip as a stubborn and unwilling man? Just because of a pattern-thinking: "This is Hollywood, so a woman is always weak and insecure and a man is always masculine and self-assured"?

Come on, please....

Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
A 100 million dollar production and still then showing factual errors which could have been avoided by simply watching the pictures: Princess Alice was not in a nun habit at the wedding: fact. Westminster Abbey was sparsely decorated because of the austerity and rationing after the war: fact. Prince Charles was already born when the couple celebrated their first wedding anniversary: fact.

"Tweaking" because of the storyline? Let the bride be nervous and stumble over her vows while in reality she was self-assured and clear? Let the Prince hesistate to kneel before his Queen while the world could see in the very first coloured Eurovision live broadcast that he simply went down the knees to bring homage. Etc. What is the point of this "tweaking". To portray Elizabeth as a weak and insecure woman and to portray Philip as a stubborn and unwilling man? Just because of a pattern-thinking: "This is Hollywood, so a woman is always weak and insecure and a man is always masculine and self-assured"?

Come on, please....

In my opinion, the idea is to portray her as a young woman who was basically thrown to the wolves because of the early death of her father and had to take on a role she wasn't 100% prepared to take at that particular moment in time, later in the season you can see how she evolved from being scared of telling her opinion to basically telling Churchill to f*** off

I am watching this as if I was not a royal watcher, I tend to do so when I see there's going to be a royal series or something, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy watching and there are good things to take from the series, the music and cinematography are quite enjoyable.

That's of course my opinion, I'm not a big fan of the series but I liked the first season in a detached kind of way, many people who don't follow royalty as we do loved it (for its entertainment value).

And let's face it, we are always going to find some fault in every single royal movie/tv series made, because we're very focussed on detail and accuracy, something the producers/directors/actors are not that much into doing since the idea is to sell a good entertainment product, nothing more than that
Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 AM
Majesty

I am not convinced. For a 100 million production one might expect perfectionism. Showing a pregnant Princess Elizabeth celebrating her first wedding anniversary, showing an "American Disney style" rich decorated Westminster Abbey while only two big bouquets were to be seen in reality, showing the Prince's mother in a nun's habit at the wedding while every wedding group portrait sees her in a long robe with sash et al, is purely a far too low standard for that amount of money.

It is the same category of laziness as so many faults in that awful remake of War & Peace. For an example: Vicomte de Mortemart, a French nobleman who is supposed to have fled to Russia during the French Revolution, is shown wearing the Legion d'Honneur, an Order brought in by Napoleon after the overthrow of the country’s monarchy... Just laziness and sloppy standards. No other words for it.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I am not convinced. For a 100 million production one might expect perfectionism. Showing a pregnant Princess Elizabeth celebrating her first wedding anniversary, showing an "American Disney style" rich decorated Westminster Abbey while only two big bouquets were to be seen in reality, showing the Prince's mother in a nun's habit at the wedding while every wedding group portrait sees her in a long robe with sash et al, is purely a far too low standard for that amount of money.

It is the same fault as in that awful remake of War & Peace where a French royalist general was sporting the red sash of the Légion d'Honneur. A "republican" sash and only established 10 years after the death of Louis XVI. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
Be thankful this wasn't an absolute travesty like those "Will & Kate" TV movies
Or the "Charles III" play-to-movie, which was absolutely horrible, like "The Royals" from E with a Shakespearean twist

Quote:

It is the same fault as in that awful remake of War & Peace where a French royalist general was sporting the red sash of the Légion d'Honneur. A "republican" sash and only established 10 years after the death of Louis XVI. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
You know that because you have extensively studied royal issues, 95% of the world population wouldn't know better

And that 95% is their target audience tbh, we're just some casualties along the way
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 AM
Majesty

When someone pretends to show a biographic movie based on historical characters, eeermmmm... living characters even... then one may expect accuratesse.

It is well known that Britain, one of the victors of WWII, suffered a post-war shortage in almost everything. The Palace, knowing about the austerity which was enforced on the population, wanted the wedding to be restraint.

When then the wedding is shown almost à la Hollywood, then that is pure falsification of history and not correctly giving the essential information that it happened in a very austere pre-war period and that the royals themselves were aware of it.

The same with showing Princess Alice of Battenberg as a nun during the wedding. What is the purpose? Just pure falsification of facts. They cold have shown Queen Elizabeth's mother-in-law in habit at the Coronation, as that was factual indeed. It is laziness and sloppiness, there is no other qualification for it and also no justification at all.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

THE CROWN Season 2 TRAILER (2017) Netflix Series

Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Commoner

Does anybody know if the series will come out on dvd ? I'd LOVE to watch it!!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

The DVD of television series usually comes out about a month or so before the next season. So probably around Oct or Nov for a early Dec season 2 release date.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The new series is out on December 8th,so I'd imagine series 1 will be released on dvd shortly before that.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Nobility

I am SO EXCITED!!!! I just loved the first season.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looks brilliant once again
Old 08-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Commoner

Thank you! Oh it would be SOOO freaking cool to get this series on dvd!
Some said netflix doesnt publish on dvd and I was a bit shocked.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Not every Netflix show comes out on DVD but the big hits like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black are. Amazon U.K. has the blu Ray/DVD release date for season 1 as Oct 16 2017. Don't know wear you live but I would think other countries would be around the same time frame.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Crown’s Peter Morgan on the Royal Drama’s Explosive Second Season

Roll on December 8th!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...on-2-interview