Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Majesty

Let's wait for the second season for the moment. Step by step XD

Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
He played Henry Talbot from Downton Abbey ,not an obvious choice for the role of the late Lord Snowdon.
When I saw that Tony Snowdon is being played by Matthew Goode all I could think was "Holy crap, Margo marrying Ozymandias?!"

Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Crown season 2: US President set to appear - and you’ll NEVER guess who’s playing JFK.

The Crown season 2: President JFK and Jackie Kennedy actors cast | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk
Sounds like fun - always wondered how that meeting went, and Peter MOrgans take will be interesting. But is the fact that JFK is being played by Dexter meant to be some kind of Meta point that I'm missing?

On a semi-related topic; I've got my fingers crossed that there will be more of the extended royal circle of Europe as they were willing to have the German relatives (even speaking Deutsch, nach) turn up, albeit briefly. Did anyone else get the feeling that the Greek Royals are possibly being set up as a plot point for later in the series in the episodes about the Queens coronation, likewise it would be odd not to talk about Spain and Juan Carlos either as that was pretty big and relevant. As for the Middle East, Iran would need a look in for season 3 (I'm surprised that operation Ajax and Mossagegh wern't mentioned even in passing in the current one), and poss Jordan too in episodes on the 1980s and 1990s...

But alas given the needs of the script and the need not to confuse the audience probably not...
Old 04-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Given the fact that a large percentage of people don't even know who is who within the extended BRF I doubt very much that other royals will play a role at all other than maybe a passing mention of the coup in Greece as Philip's mother ending up living in BP as a result. Otherwise I don't see any need to bring in foreign royals at all as they aren't really part of the story of the BRF in the latter half of the 20th century and early 21st century. There is some contact of course but very little these days, unlike in the days of Victoria and Edward VII when a family gathering meant the European royals were included. Now a family gathering for the BRF doesn't include any foreign royals, other than maybe the Greeks due to Philip. It would need to be a very, very extended family gathering for the Europeans to be included.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Given the fact that a large percentage of people don't even know who is who within the extended BRF I doubt very much that other royals will play a role at all other than maybe a passing mention of the coup in Greece as Philip's mother ending up living in BP as a result. Otherwise I don't see any need to bring in foreign royals at all as they aren't really part of the story of the BRF in the latter half of the 20th century and early 21st century. There is some contact of course but very little these days, unlike in the days of Victoria and Edward VII when a family gathering meant the European royals were included. Now a family gathering for the BRF doesn't include any foreign royals, other than maybe the Greeks due to Philip. It would need to be a very, very extended family gathering for the Europeans to be included.
Given that one of the main themes of the show is about how the crown adapts and survives at least passing mentions of the fates of other monarchies and what went wrong fo them (and what others got right) could be a useful plot idea esp if the countries in question had been subject to British "influence" ie interference in the past, like Iran and the legacy of George V selling out his Russian cousins in the revolution could be a huge source of drama and very relevant. a single episode would suffice so it would not be arcane and confusing - one of the shows great strengths is how clear and lucid it is for those who don't know anything about the topic and the relative clarity of the story lines. But you're probably right - it's about the Windsors and their lives and loves, they are the main characters and its primarily entertainment not a history lesson. It was just an idea I had reading about the Kennedys turning up and I got overexcited.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Kennedy's State Visit to the UK was a huge world wide event for its day as there were two young beautiful women at the centre of it.

Other royals not so much. Why any mention of the Russian royals considering that event happened even before Philip was born, let alone Elizabeth, I don't understand. This is the life of Elizabeth not that of her grandfather or even father.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Kennedy's State Visit to the UK was a huge world wide event for its day as there were two young beautiful women at the centre of it.

Other royals not so much. Why any mention of the Russian royals considering that event happened even before Philip was born, let alone Elizabeth, I don't understand. This is the life of Elizabeth not that of her grandfather or even father.
Point taken. There will always be other to shows and movies and in all honestly I'm still amazed that The Crown got made at all. I guess I was just really stoked and impressed that Prinz Ernst August Von Hannover was there in the name debate episode and not simply given as a random bozo or a local - that's the kind of little things that makes the show so good for a pedantic nerd like me.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Article from Sky News: BAFTA TV Awards: Netflix's The Crown leads the way with five nominations
Quote:
Critically acclaimed royal drama The Crown has picked up five nominations for the BAFTA TV Awards.

It leads the way for May's ceremony, picking up nods including best drama and best supporting actors for Jared Harris, Vanessa Kirby and John Lithgow.

Claire Foy is also nominated for leading actress for her portrayal of a young Queen Elizabeth II in the Netflix show.

Both Foy and the show won a Golden Globe earlier this year, making The Crown one of the streaming giant's most successful shows yet.

A third series of the drama is reportedly in the works, jumping years into the future in its portrayal of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Benedict Cumberbatch is closer in looks to what 1960s Tony Armstrong Jones looked like if we had our pick of any actor. Vanessa Kirby doesn't really look like Margaret and is way too tall. So the actor playing Tony will have to be tall too to match her.

Toby Stephens played Snowden opposite Lucy Cohu's Margaret in The Queen's Sister back in 2005.
Benedict Cumberbatch would probably be too expensive for a Netflix TV series.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Benedict Cumberbatch would probably be too expensive for a Netflix TV series.

Not this Netflix series. The budget on it has been insane.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
Point taken. There will always be other to shows and movies and in all honestly I'm still amazed that The Crown got made at all. I guess I was just really stoked and impressed that Prinz Ernst August Von Hannover was there in the name debate episode and not simply given as a random bozo or a local - that's the kind of little things that makes the show so good for a pedantic nerd like me.
Are you? People have wanted to make a series about her for many years now, and as PetticoatLane said in post 227 after the Golden Globes: Well, playing HM The Queen again proves highly lucrative for those who take on the role.

I replayed (in post 229) by saying: That's what happens when you play the world's biggest icon.

And if you want to know why Netflix bet big on the Crown - read the article from Business Insider in this post:
"The Crown" - Netflix plans £100m epic 20-episode TV drama series on The Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Not this Netflix series. The budget on it has been insane.
Exactly! I posted this article in post 22:
BBC lost The Crown jewel because it can't compete with Netflix - Telegraph
Quote:
The BBC pitched for blockbuster new royal drama The Crown but could not compete with the global financial might of Netflix, its head of television has admitted.

Danny Cohen, director of television, said the corporation wanted to broadcast The Crown, a landmark drama about the life of the Queen, considering it a "classic BBC subject".

But, he has disclosed, it could not keep up with the coffers of Netflix and lost out, despite its strong British connection.

In the end, the drama is set to become the most expensive Netflix drama to date, win a $100million budget.

"It's a classic BBC subject, but we couldn't compete with the amount of money Netflix were prepared to pay for that production, even though we would have loved to be a co-producer."
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Haven't watched the whole thing but from what I've seen the only actor I don't like is the one playing Prince Phillip; everyone else is rather impressive.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I love Matt Smith as Philip (and I loved him as The Doctor as well).
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Haven't watched the whole thing but from what I've seen the only actor I don't like is the one playing Prince Phillip; everyone else is rather impressive.

Matt Smith.

Anyone who comes off of the Dr. Who franchise gets a career boost.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:21 AM
Majesty

"Princess Eugenie knows just who should play her in The Crown... stand up, Kate Beckinsale.
Eugenie is only 27, while Kate is 43, but asked who she fancies for her role if she ever features in the Netflix drama, the princess says: “I think Kate Beckinsale is pretty cool.”

Princess Eugenie wants Kate Beckinsale to play her if she appears in The Crown - Mirror Online