The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
They (the media) say £100m.
I have been watching with my daughter, a costumer. We have been enjoying seeing all of the costume and set details, and noting how, for the most part, they are really nailing the period details!

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater, here's a reason to watch THE CROWN.
Most people have knowledge of the details of Elizabeth's coming into adulthood and the crown. Most people these days learn their understanding of "history" from drama, comic books and posts on social media. You may not like that. but it is true.
So, going forward, new generations around the world are getting a sense of how Elizabeth became who she is from watching this series and others like it.
Frankly, I prefer to understand what people see and how they get their ideas about the world and people in it. For me the cup is half full seeing a relatively young person suddenly thrust on the world stage. It's fascinating to see her and the people around her learn and cope. And, historical inaccuracies aside, I rather like the idea of millennials and founders understanding what a person with grit, a sense of duty and history can do with willful choices made in their young lives.
And, selfishly, I like being taken back to a time when it was all new to her. When she was finding her way. Before she had courtiers trained to within a millimeter of her will. It reminds me of what a journey it has been and what she accomplished. It helps me understand the choices she makes today.
I just don't see that more is to be gained from avoiding than from watching. But that's just me.
Yes to all this!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I've finished the ten episodes and found it wonderful,although the peter and Margaret story was not true according to the letter from Margaret which were found eight years ago. This makes a better story I guess. And they really play up the jealous sisters theme. I wonder, did Margaret actually offend people,when she stood in for hm, and, is there anything to the sisters not getting along which portrayed? I love the way the queen grows into her role with the terrible politicians
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 PM
Royal Highness

The deadly fog...

Here's an article about what may have caused the awful 1952 fog which was in an episode of The Crown.

Scientists determine cause of London's 1952 "killer fog" - CBS News

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Crown Creator Peter Morgan Reveals What's Coming in Season 2
Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

If Diana is popping up at the end of season 3, there has to be a big time jump or we are going to speed through the 60s and 70s in the next 2 seasons.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:22 AM
Nobility

Well, playing HM The Queen again proves highly lucrative for those who take on the role. Claire Foy won best actress in a TV drama at the Golden Globes last night and paid tribute to HM in her acceptance speech.

The Crown also won best TV drama overall on what was a really successful night for British TV. Forgive me for sinking so low as to link to the Daily Mail:

Golden Globes 2017: The Crown's Claire Foy leads Brit winners along with The Night Manager | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I haven't seen it but it beat GoT (and I thought season 6 was incredible) at last nights' GG, so I guess it must be really, really good!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Well, playing HM The Queen again proves highly lucrative for those who take on the role. Claire Foy won best actress in a TV drama at the Golden Globes last night and paid tribute to HM in her acceptance speech.

The Crown also won best TV drama overall on what was a really successful night for British TV. Forgive me for sinking so low as to link to the Daily Mail:

Golden Globes 2017: The Crown's Claire Foy leads Brit winners along with The Night Manager | Daily Mail Online
That's what happens when you play the world's biggest icon.

She's the centre of the world': Claire Foy thanks the Queen in her Golden Globes acceptance speech
Quote:
"I really, really, really wouldn't be here if it wasn't for some extraordinary women, and I'm going to thank them. One of them is Queen Elizabeth II. She has been at the center of the world for the past 63 years, and I think the world could do with a few more women at the center of it, if you ask me.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Very well deserved awards and delighted for Claire Foy!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Royal Highness

Is Claire pregnant? I didn't quite get it when she mentioned ''her girl''.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If Diana is popping up at the end of season 3, there has to be a big time jump or we are going to speed through the 60s and 70s in the next 2 seasons.
The plan is six seasons each covering about a decade so it makes sense that Diana would be in the late 3rd season or early 4th season but gone by the early 5th or even late 4th. She was only in the family for a decade and a half so should only be in the series for about 1.5 seasons.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe she just had a baby prior to starting filming for The Crown.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Claire gave birth to a daughter born in March 2015.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Is Claire pregnant? I didn't quite get it when she mentioned ''her girl''.
Her brilliant girl is her and her husbands nearly two year old daughter. Be a tad odd to refer to an unborn child as brilliant.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Royal Highness

Yes, but ''In the making'' threw me off. Because that sort of implies said girl has yet to be born.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

How the Queen helped British stars to success at the Golden Globes - again
Quote:
Her coronation was the first major event ever to be televised, with her Christmas speech one of the most-watched broadcast highlights of every year.

But the Queen's on-screen influence extended even further this week, after she inadvertently offered British actors a helping hand in Hollywood.

British stars have enjoyed their most successful year at the Golden Globes in a decade, as the magic touch of the Royal family captured the critics' imaginations.

Claire Foy won best actress in a television drama for her portrayal of Her Majesty, in the big-budget Netflix drama which told the story of a young Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip in their early marriage.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Yes, but ''In the making'' threw me off. Because that sort of implies said girl has yet to be born.
Extraordinary Woman in the making. A two year old may be brilliant in her mothers eyes, but a woman no. She was saying she was indirectly by two, Elizabeth II who is already an extraordinary woman and her daughter who is one in the making, as in growing into ond.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The plan is six seasons each covering about a decade so it makes sense that Diana would be in the late 3rd season or early 4th season but gone by the early 5th or even late 4th. She was only in the family for a decade and a half so should only be in the series for about 1.5 seasons.

Suez Crisis and Melbourne Olympics are 1956. That's where season 1 ends with the building to these events. So season 1 was mainly from 1952 to 1955/56. Diana as potential girlfriend is summer of 1980 and so that's 25 years to coverage.

Philip and the Queen have to get back on the same page to make Andrew. Margaret meets Tony. That's probably all season 2. There probably will be a montage or time jump to get to the late 60s early 70s for the investiture of the Prince of Wales and maybe another to get to the silver jubilee and Thatcher.

The cast is changing after 2, so some sort of speed through the early sixties I would think will happen to get Charles and Anne as young adult instead of preteens and Queen and Philip as middle aged
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally - I think the early glimpse of Diana will be when she is a child and the elder Spencers bump into the Royals and she's just in the background. But it is a way to titillate the audience.