"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, playing HM The Queen again proves highly lucrative for those who take on the role. Claire Foy won best actress in a TV drama at the Golden Globes last night and paid tribute to HM in her acceptance speech.

The Crown also won best TV drama overall on what was a really successful night for British TV. Forgive me for sinking so low as to link to the Daily Mail:

Golden Globes 2017: The Crown's Claire Foy leads Brit winners along with The Night Manager | Daily Mail Online
That's what happens when you play the world's biggest icon.

She's the centre of the world': Claire Foy thanks the Queen in her Golden Globes acceptance speech
"I really, really, really wouldn't be here if it wasn't for some extraordinary women, and I'm going to thank them. One of them is Queen Elizabeth II. She has been at the center of the world for the past 63 years, and I think the world could do with a few more women at the center of it, if you ask me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14qAJzMW2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4a5AFMiSkQ

Last edited:
Very well deserved awards and delighted for Claire Foy!

Is Claire pregnant? I didn't quite get it when she mentioned ''her girl''.

If Diana is popping up at the end of season 3, there has to be a big time jump or we are going to speed through the 60s and 70s in the next 2 seasons.

The plan is six seasons each covering about a decade so it makes sense that Diana would be in the late 3rd season or early 4th season but gone by the early 5th or even late 4th. She was only in the family for a decade and a half so should only be in the series for about 1.5 seasons.

I believe she just had a baby prior to starting filming for The Crown.

Claire gave birth to a daughter born in March 2015.

Is Claire pregnant? I didn't quite get it when she mentioned ''her girl''.

Her brilliant girl is her and her husbands nearly two year old daughter. Be a tad odd to refer to an unborn child as brilliant. :)

Yes, but ''In the making'' threw me off. Because that sort of implies said girl has yet to be born.

How the Queen helped British stars to success at the Golden Globes - again
Her coronation was the first major event ever to be televised, with her Christmas speech one of the most-watched broadcast highlights of every year.

But the Queen's on-screen influence extended even further this week, after she inadvertently offered British actors a helping hand in Hollywood.

British stars have enjoyed their most successful year at the Golden Globes in a decade, as the magic touch of the Royal family captured the critics' imaginations.

Claire Foy won best actress in a television drama for her portrayal of Her Majesty, in the big-budget Netflix drama which told the story of a young Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip in their early marriage.

Yes, but ''In the making'' threw me off. Because that sort of implies said girl has yet to be born.

Extraordinary Woman in the making. A two year old may be brilliant in her mothers eyes, but a woman no. She was saying she was indirectly by two, Elizabeth II who is already an extraordinary woman and her daughter who is one in the making, as in growing into ond.

The plan is six seasons each covering about a decade so it makes sense that Diana would be in the late 3rd season or early 4th season but gone by the early 5th or even late 4th. She was only in the family for a decade and a half so should only be in the series for about 1.5 seasons.

Suez Crisis and Melbourne Olympics are 1956. That's where season 1 ends with the building to these events. So season 1 was mainly from 1952 to 1955/56. Diana as potential girlfriend is summer of 1980 and so that's 25 years to coverage.

Philip and the Queen have to get back on the same page to make Andrew. Margaret meets Tony. That's probably all season 2. There probably will be a montage or time jump to get to the late 60s early 70s for the investiture of the Prince of Wales and maybe another to get to the silver jubilee and Thatcher.

The cast is changing after 2, so some sort of speed through the early sixties I would think will happen to get Charles and Anne as young adult instead of preteens and Queen and Philip as middle aged

Personally - I think the early glimpse of Diana will be when she is a child and the elder Spencers bump into the Royals and she's just in the background. But it is a way to titillate the audience. :flowers:

The producers already said that Diana would appear at the end of season 3. End of season 3 definitely would not be Diana as a little girl. Maybe as a young teenager when Charles dates Sarah Spencer that was 1977.

Suez Crisis and Melbourne Olympics are 1956. That's where season 1 ends with the building to these events. So season 1 was mainly from 1952 to 1955/56. Diana as potential girlfriend is summer of 1980 and so that's 25 years to coverage.

Diana died in 1997 - so she was only in the family for about 18 years - thus if a decade per series (series 1 was 1947 - 1956ish) which is why I say she will be there for about 1.5 series only.

Philip and the Queen have to get back on the same page to make Andrew. Margaret meets Tony. That's probably all season 2. There probably will be a montage or time jump to get to the late 60s early 70s for the investiture of the Prince of Wales and maybe another to get to the silver jubilee and Thatcher.

Suez and the Melbourne Olympics would be no more than one episode with most of the focus on the Queen and Suez and maybe a scene or two with Philip on his 6 months trip down under

Then 9 episodes to marry off Margaret, half Andrew and Edward and even send Charles to Australia in 1966 with their tour Down Under as family or Charles investiture as the end of series 2.

The cast is changing after 2, so some sort of speed through the early sixties I would think will happen to get Charles and Anne as young adult instead of preteens and Queen and Philip as middle aged

I would expect the third series to really start with Charles and Anne's early love life in the 1970s, the Jubilee and the assassination of Mountbatten ending with Charles meeting Diana.

There will still have to have some time jumping/montages like we saw in season 1 where it starts in 1948 for the wedding and then a quick montage to 1951 in the same episode. A lot of season 1 was heavy on the Churchill. I can't imagine a heavy focus on the PMs again until Thatcher.

Why Netflix bet big on 'The Crown,' its Golden Globe winner - Business Insider
Last month at the UBS media conference in New York, Netflix's content boss Ted Sarandos explained a simple reason why Netflix bet big on "The Crown": Everyone knows the Queen.

"Queen Elizabeth is probably the most famous human being on the planet right now," he said. The world knows the history of her, the monarchy, and her family.
Of course she is. She is the most popular, most iconic and most famous head of state (many would say person) in the world.

Though Sarandos didn't characterize her like this, in some ways she is the biggest reality star on the planet, except most people don't know much about her private life. For Netflix, it was an opportunity to tell that inner story.
Reality star? Don't be ridiculous.

But all the glitz and talent that went into producing "The Crown" rested on that one truth, that people just really like watching, reading, and hearing about Queen Elizabeth.
I agree!

I have been really enjoying the series. It does bother me that the actress playing the Queen Mother doesn't look anything like the Queen really looked, but you can't always find a physical match.
There was a scene in the first episode (or the second I can't recall) that a lady in the crowd looked so much like the Queen Mother, and I thought it was really her, and then the "other" Queen Mother came and I was a bit disappointed.

EDIT:

I found the lady I was talking about. She looks so much like the Queen Mother, I really thought she was her...
http://oi68.tinypic.com/6ye3v9.jpg

Last edited:
He played Henry Talbot from Downton Abbey ,not an obvious choice for the role of the late Lord Snowdon.

Benedict Cumberbatch is closer in looks to what 1960s Tony Armstrong Jones looked like if we had our pick of any actor. Vanessa Kirby doesn't really look like Margaret and is way too tall. So the actor playing Tony will have to be tall too to match her.

Toby Stephens played Snowden opposite Lucy Cohu's Margaret in The Queen's Sister back in 2005.

We already knew that it was going to be recast before it aired. Probably already signed up Helen Mirren for the old Queen. Then Helen can have a Emmy to go along with the Oscar and Tony for playing QEII.

I forgot to mention but I finished watching the series in December and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do agree with a poster who commented a while back that they played up the "lonely queen" portrayal, but otherwise, everything was great - I especially loved the costumes! I am looking forward into watching the next series. It would be a shame to see Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby go if they were recasted because I thought they played their parts brilliantly. Matt Smith could perhaps get away with being in the next series but I can understand why they would recast as the characters of course get older.

Yes Denville I never heard that one either. Who knows. But heard of flings love child etc

Never heard of a gay affair...

Only mention I can find is in an old telegraph article :whistling:

Portrait of a marriage - Telegraph

funny enough, on Valery's side, there were also rumors of a royal affair but not male and much younger. A book suggested he had an affair with a woman who was referred to as princess of Cardiff. It led to talk he had an affair with Diana. Which was of course denied. He was known as a philanderer, his family didn't livecatvthevpresudebtial residence, but with women.

Last edited:
"Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall is set to be appearing in season three of Netflix drama The Crown, it has been revealed.
A fictionalised version of the royal - better known before her marriage to Prince Charles as Camilla Parker Bowles - will be making her first appearance in third run as the series follows the members of the current Royal Family.
There is no word yet who will be taking on the role of the young Camilla, who proved to be a controversial figure amongst the Royal Family."

The Crown season 3: Camilla Parker Bowles CONFIRMED to make appearance | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk

Let's wait for the second season for the moment. Step by step XD

He played Henry Talbot from Downton Abbey ,not an obvious choice for the role of the late Lord Snowdon.

:previous:When I saw that Tony Snowdon is being played by Matthew Goode all I could think was "Holy crap, Margo marrying Ozymandias?!" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom