"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's almost like it's historical fiction which often incorporates metaphors.
Exactly! It is all absolute fiction except that which played out in the public arena. Elizabeth's marriage, her father's funeral, her coronation, all those things we saw on film no less, but as soon as they are out of the public eye it becomes a work of total fiction.

Some events are of course based on fact, but precisely who said what to whom and who felt what is entirely the invention of writers and unfortunately, the vast majority of audiences seem unable to distinguish between fact and fiction let alone metaphors!

Exactly! It is all absolute fiction except that which played out in the public arena. Elizabeth's marriage, her father's funeral, her coronation, all those things we saw on film no less, but as soon as they are out of the public eye it becomes a work of total fiction.
Some events are of course based on fact, but precisely who said what to whom and who felt what is entirely the invention of writers and unfortunately, the vast majority of audiences seem unable to distinguish between fact and fiction let alone metaphors!

I agree and fear you´re right!:ermm:

But I was absolute thrilled to see how accurate they seemed to have worked on the wardrobe. I mean, the coronation dress and jewels worn on that specific day look as if they borrowed the original items from the Palace!

Last edited:
From Lord of Time to Duke of Edinburgh, Matt Smith will be playing Prince Philip in Netflix's lavish royal drama The Crown.

The 10-part first season will drop this Friday (November 4) - but Smith told Hello! that a chance meeting with Prince William last year helped him prepare for the role.

The pair crossed paths at a charity polo match, so Smith couldn't resist asking Wills "if he had any advice".

"He said, 'Just one word - legend.' And he's right, Philip was a bit of a rock star, really."
Read more: Matt Smith reveals he asked Prince William for advice on how to play Prince Philip in The Crown

Who else is binge watching? I'm a few episodes in so far. John Lithgow as Churchill has stolen the show for me so far. No matter how "historical" it is, it is gorgeously done and highly watchable.

I'll start today.

I'll be watching it later tonight and probably all weekend :D

I'm so looking forward to this. I'm going to start watching it tonight and through the weekend.

I watched part of the first episode this morning.

SPOILER ALERT

HM hesitates when saying her marital vows. That sort of bothered me. It could be poetic license, and if it is I am a bit surprised. HM was in love with PP why would she hesitate saying her vows. Doesn't seem right.

I watched the first two episodes.

SPOILERS

Overall I'm enjoying it, but there are a few issues. First, I agree with the previous poster about the wows. There's a full audio recording of the wedding ceremony - which I have on CD. It's been a while since I listened to it, but I can't remember Elizabeth pausing.

Another thing that bothered me is that when she left the carriage the bridesmaids stayed back and didn't adjust her veil, a fact that is well documented (there's a wonderful photo that many here probably remember).

Also the clothes and jewellery, especially the most documented and iconic pieces, could be more accurate, as well as her hair.

SPOILER

they are dressing princess andrew of greece and denmark as a nun which isn't correct

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fa/f0/9e/faf09ef02d73a87d6c1c18f14e98e7d8.jpg

they are confusing what she wore in the coronation with what she actually wore in the wedding .

and the scene when they were taking pictures of the couples the dialogue between queen mary and the queen mother make it looks like it was the first time they saw princess andrew which isn't right .

Of course!:eek:
Maybe they changed that because they didn't want to get back to the issue later. In the first episode there are many explanations about facts and people in the dialogues (such as the comments about Philip's sisters).

I watched the first episode last night-- at least I tried to watch it, I really did. However, from the beginning things just jarred. For a start, the accents just weren't right, and I'm not talking about the US actor playing Winston. The Queen had a very distinct voice as a young woman, quite high pitched and very upperclass (naturally.)

I'm aware that plummy and cut glass accents stopped being taught in UK drama schools somewhere around 1975 but it's a problem I've noticed in other productions where younger actors in period TV dramas attempt to speak as the upper classes did generations ago. They usually make a valiant stab at it but sometimes it doesn't pay off and it didn't here, from the leads down. It was especially noticeable among the female actors. The actor playing Prince Philip wasn't too bad, though the timbre of his voice was very different to PP's.

I know this isn't a documentary. Far from it in fact. However, couldn't the casting directors have found actors that sort of approximated the likenesses of the people they were playing? The actor playing King George VI for example looked absolutely nothing like the frail looking King of the late 1940s/1950s. Princess Margaret was stunning looking as a teenager and young woman, with glorious eyes. 'The Crown's' Princess Margaret was drab and ordinary. Why did the actor who played Clementine Churchill, who wore her hair at that time in a very 1940's roll at the back, have a modern curly hairstyle?

As for errors, there were many. Just one as an example. No doctor, then or now, being issued into the presence of his sovereign, would have walked over to a desk where the monarch was seated and just sat down without an invitation to do so.

It's things like that, small things that would never have happened, that just irritated me so much that I switched off after a while. Sorry, 'The Crown' obviously had loads of money spent on it, but details matter. I won't be watching any more episodes.

Last edited:
I watched the first episode tonight. It was okay, and I agree with all the previous posters about the errors in accuracy. However, I did enjoy the interiors, they really looked like Buckingham Palace (maybe they were?) and the actress playing Queen Mary did a great job.

I'm up through episode eight. The historical inaccuracies are mostly small and while there are a few silly moments (Margaret's tiara trying on scene in episode eight is incredibly silly)- I think overall it's remarkable and a lot of fun

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

And some of the quibbles people here have with the production would have resulted in a show that held absolutely zero interest for people who don't obsessively study royal history. Most of the inaccuracies are meant to provide narrative momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I watched the first episode last night-- at least I tried to watch it, I really did. However, from the beginning things just jarred. For a start, the accents just weren't right, and I'm not talking about the US actor playing Winston. The Queen had a very distinct voice as a young woman, quite high pitched and very upperclass (naturally.)

I'm aware that plummy and cut glass accents stopped being taught in UK drama schools somewhere around 1975 but it's a problem I've noticed in other productions where younger actors in period TV dramas attempt to speak as the upper classes did generations ago. They usually make a valiant stab at it but sometimes it doesn't pay off and it didn't here, from the leads down. It was especially noticeable among the female actors. The actor playing Prince Philip wasn't too bad, though the timbre of his voice was very different to PP's.

I know this isn't a documentary. Far from it in fact. However, couldn't the casting directors have found actors that sort of approximated the likenesses of the people they were playing? The actor playing King George VI for example looked absolutely nothing like the frail looking King of the late 1940s/1950s. Princess Margaret was stunning looking as a teenager and young woman, with glorious eyes. 'The Crown's' Princess Margaret was drab and ordinary. Why did the actor who played Clementine Churchill, who wore her hair at that time in a very 1940's roll at the back, have a modern curly hairstyle?

As for errors, there were many. Just one as an example. No doctor, then or now, being issued into the presence of his sovereign, would have walked over to a desk where the monarch was seated and just sat down without an invitation to do so.

It's things like that, small things that would never have happened, that just irritated me so much that I switched off after a while. Sorry, 'The Crown' obviously had loads of money spent on it, but details matter. I won't be watching any more episodes.

I am glad you posted that I couldn't watch it either if it was like that. If they can't get things right it annoys the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The same for me. I stopped watching as I was turned of by the first episode when they had Princess Andrew in a nun's habbit and the Mountbatten's speaking German to one another. Princess Margaret was a miscast indeed, as was king George and the Queen Mother.

I think it is very difficult to get things right when making a film/series about living characters. Most often the production fails. The only convincing attempt I can remember was Helen Mirren in 'The Queen', though in that film all the other characters also resembled caricatures instead of real people.

I'm watching too. The occasional inconsistency does not bother me in the slightest. This is not a documentary, never claimed to be and never tried to be. The snobbish, 'I know better than they do' royal fanatics I see online who are dismissing the programme are so tiresome.

What it has done is introduce people who have little or no interest or knowledge of the RF to some of its history. It's broadly accurate so that can only be a good thing for the RF.

The hesitation in her marriage vows I saw differently. Not a woman who was unsure, but a woman who was struck by the gravity of what was happening, who was happy it was happening, but paused for a moment to fully try and grasp it. Amazing how people can interpret things differently.

I started watching the series last night and got through the first three episodes.

I think it was exceptionally well done. Yes there were parts that weren't accurate (Princess Andrew in nun's habit for the wedding and the Princess Elizabeth flying the Sovereign's Standard on her car). But if you take it as a drama and not a historical documentary it is superb.

I thought the portrayal of the late King's death was very well done, and Eileen Atkins Queen Mary is excellent.

The accents aren't quite right, but it is difficult to recreate the tone and the plumminess of era.

I wasn't convinced by Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, or The Princess Margaret. But again if you just take it purely as a drama you can see past this.

The jewels are ok, I've seen better recreations, but not the worst by any means. I think the Order of the Garter decorations were very good and true to how they appeared in the late 40s/early 50s.

I'm going to keep going with the remaining episodes and I just hope they are good as the first three.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Watched the first episode. I want to smack that cigarette out of the King's hand. There he was coughing his one lung up and still smoking like a chimney.

I'm watching too. The occasional inconsistency does not bother me in the slightest. This is not a documentary, never claimed to be and never tried to be. The snobbish, 'I know better than they do' royal fanatics I see online who are dismissing the programme are so tiresome.

What does snobbism have to do with it? :confused:

Before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater, here's a reason to watch THE CROWN.
Most people have knowledge of the details of Elizabeth's coming into adulthood and the crown. Most people these days learn their understanding of "history" from drama, comic books and posts on social media. You may not like that. but it is true.
So, going forward, new generations around the world are getting a sense of how Elizabeth became who she is from watching this series and others like it.
Frankly, I prefer to understand what people see and how they get their ideas about the world and people in it. For me the cup is half full seeing a relatively young person suddenly thrust on the world stage. It's fascinating to see her and the people around her learn and cope. And, historical inaccuracies aside, I rather like the idea of millennials and founders understanding what a person with grit, a sense of duty and history can do with willful choices made in their young lives.
And, selfishly, I like being taken back to a time when it was all new to her. When she was finding her way. Before she had courtiers trained to within a millimeter of her will. It reminds me of what a journey it has been and what she accomplished. It helps me understand the choices she makes today.
I just don't see that more is to be gained from avoiding than from watching. But that's just me.

Today I started to watch the series, and although I am at the very beginning, I like it a lot. It is true that sometimes one wants to groan for the suspense, inaccuracies or the dramatic tone, but all in all I think the series seems to be well done...It is exciting to finally see something about queen Elizabeth and her life!

anybody know's which prince ernst of hanover is the one on the series ?!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom