The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2019, 03:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Indeed it is more soap opera then a historical documentary. Yes the characters are real and there is some history to it. But the literary license taken with characters and events is strong. This is not like movies like the Queen which stayed as true as possible to the actual events.

I look forward to seeing the new actors and how the transition goes.

Interesting to see Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret. She played the Queen Mum in the King's Speech.

Loved Claire, but I think Olivia will do wonderful as the new Elizabeth.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am just now, finally, starting to binge watch "The Crown" after wanting to get Netflix for years (thanks to my son). I'm still on the first season and I'm loving every episode so far.

When a series such as this is made from historical events, the producers and directors often take dramatic license with the stories to make it flow easier, stress a point in certain areas and I can't take everything that is the episodes as fact nor did I expect to. Its also happened with different "real life" characters that were made into a presentation for movies and TV. The Sound of Music comes to mind.

I absolutely love John Lithgow's portrayal of Winston Churchill and was impressed by Alex Jennings' portrayal of The Duke of Windsor. All in all, I'm very happy to be able to binge watch this series. Up next after that will be "Outlander". :biggrin"

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 09-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I am just now, finally, starting to binge watch "The Crown" after wanting to get Netflix for years (thanks to my son). I'm still on the first season and I'm loving every episode so far.

When a series such as this is made from historical events, the producers and directors often take dramatic license with the stories to make it flow easier, stress a point in certain areas and I can't take everything that is the episodes as fact nor did I expect to. Its also happened with different "real life" characters that were made into a presentation for movies and TV. The Sound of Music comes to mind.

I absolutely love John Lithgow's portrayal of Winston Churchill and was impressed by Alex Jennings' portrayal of The Duke of Windsor. All in all, I'm very happy to be able to binge watch this series. Up next after that will be "Outlander". :biggrin"

I think its always a bit different when the historical figures in question are not so historical aka they are still alive to this day. I think people get the impression if you are doing a movie about a live person, the person approves.

Outlander is fantastic, you will love it. One of the few times I think the show does the books justice (though books still better).
Old 09-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Loved Claire, but I think Olivia will do wonderful as the new Elizabeth.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Olivia as the queen,I think she will do a very,very convincing job.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I too am looking forward to seeing Olivia in the Crown as she's my favourite actress at the moment and a good one at that.

However, I've seen the trailers and to me I just can't get past the fact that it is Olivia more so than the Queen on the screen. Claire Foy was relatively unknown to me when she did it and I hadn't seen her in anything else, so had no attachment to the actress.

Hopefully, I'll get past it after a couple of full episodes and will see the Queen more so than Olivia!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I had only known Claire Foy from the BBC adaption of Wolf Hall where she played a very ruthless and conniving Anne Boleyn.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Crown Season 4 EXCLUSIVE: First look at Charles and Diana actors Josh O'Connor and Emma Corrin as they recreate 1983 royal tour to Australia... (in sunny Spain)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Crown third season official trailer

Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to Olivia Coleman who today received a #CBE from The Princess Royal in recognition of her Services to Drama.
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...59360761479168
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Very well done to Olivia she's a wonderful actress .

Old 11-05-2019, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

A behind the scenes look during the filming of the Prince of Wales' Investiture:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...crown-season-3

I think the costumes will be amazing!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The queen doesn't look too pleased

Old 11-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Aristocracy

The BBC says the first episode will be about the traitor Blunt. It will be interesting drawing comparisons to Alan Bennett's masterful "A Question of Attribution". Such a wonderful drama & an amusing slightly tongue in cheek portrayal of HM by Prunella Scales.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This day next week season 3 airs,many of thought it would never come!

https://entertainment.ie/tv/netflix/...review-428164/

Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

I won't be bothering. I got Netflix for series 1 and kept it for series 2 but I gave up after about three episodes of series 2 due to the fact it was total garbage. As Netflix had nothing else I wanted to watch I won't be watching any part of series 3 (or any later series). I have better things to do with my money than waste it on that sort of fictional rubbish that, sadly, many people think is actually the truth.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm looking forward to season 3 actually. After watching the first two seasons, I browsed around Netflix and found quite a few "historical pieces" that I really enjoy too. The Last Kingdom centered around Alfred the Great, Reign which portrays the era of Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I, Outlander and a remake of an old classic I enjoyed with my kid when they were growing up. The Dark Crystal (Jim Henson of Muppet fame classic movie). Its free for me as I'm watching it on my son's account. I also have the Borgias, the Medicis, Versailles, an old series I used to like called "Merlin" and a few more earmarked to watch over the coming cold winter here.

The Crown doesn't bother me that its interwoven with so much fiction. I think that is what adds to the story line and keeps it flowing. You get the basic truths of the matter and events of the time with poetic license. It makes the characters come alive. Things really did happen but the "behind closed doors" angles are totally a screenwriter's supposition of "what if this happened"

We have a satellite feed for our television watching and even with all of those channels available, I find very little programming that captures my interest. I don't like reality TV, I don't like the majority of shows presented that seem to lower the intelligence level of viewers. My hubby *loves* sports whether it be hockey, American football, international hockey and soccer etc. He's happy watching those and I stream Netflix. So we're happy.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Courtier

The jewelry replicas probably are the only thing attracting me and one thing keeps annoying me is that where are the tiara replicas in S1&2? I know there will be King George IV Diadem and Margaret's Poltimore but it seems that they just let Olivia and Helena wear some random tiaras in other scene. (Did Van Cleef become their new sponsor? One of them looks like the diamond tiara worn by P Grace.)
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

The final trailer before the premier tomorrow

https://twitter.com/i/status/1195718165201870848
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

An interview with Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham Carter ahead of Season 3

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown