"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finished episode 4 last night 'Bubbikins' which was excellent

I noticed in the credits

Michael Thomas as the Duke of Gloucester
Penny Downie as the Duchess of Gloucester

I remember seeing them at the birthday party but I don't think they actually spoke nor would non royal watchers even know they were the queens uncle and aunt.

Watching episode 8 of The Crown and I swear the actress that’s portraying The Duchess of Windsor could portray an older Duchess of Cornwall. They just look rather similar and they have the same sad eyes.

That actress is Geraldine Chaplin, daughter of Charlie Chaplin and granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill. Interesting family tree, eh?

Erin Doherty is doing a fantastic job as Princess Anne ,I'm not keen on Marion Bailey playing the queen mother so far.

That actress is Geraldine Chaplin, daughter of Charlie Chaplin and granddaughter of playwright Eugene O’Neill. Interesting family tree, eh?

Indeed yes! Your father made people laugh & your grandfather most certainly didn't.

I know this show isn't historically accurate, but it is definitely interesting, imo.

(Tried to watch The Irishman and lasted five minutes- every other word was an obscenity and I hate that! Wonder why filmmakers do that? They say it adds realism, but I don't know anyone who talks like that!)

I am not surprise - Many people I know didn't continue watching it. They might have tried the first episode but that was it. One of the ladies at work told me it wasn't the royal story they wanted. Several people didn't like the way Charles was shown - they made the suggestion that Charles was been seen as a romantic tragic hero so that people would later forgive what he did to Diana.
Several people said they should just jump to William and Harry, and their wives now - and do everything in backflashes. That is what people really want, especially the Americans. Harry and William out to save the world and the rest of the royals as villains trying to prevent it.

I'm actually shocked at this ,the Witcher I felt was quite poor.

The Crown fails to make Netflix UK's Top 10

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/20...a-the-crown-fails-to-make-netflix-uks-top-10/

I am not surprised. In my view, most of the characters were poorly drawn by the writers, poorly directed, or poorly acted. I didn't like Colman as QEII (with the exception of the last episode) and Menzies as the DOE was given little to do other than be irritated. The actors playing Anne and Charles did a very good job, although attempts to make Charles a sympathetic character may have gone a little too far. During the first two seasons, I could connect with the Queen and Prince Philip's characters; I was rooting for them. In season 3 I found most characters a little tiresome. The was also little tension in how the historical events were played. The program is not a documentary, and so I would expect lots of dramatization that doesn't directly represent reality, but even the dramatizations fell flat.

I've now finished Season 3 ,goodness knows when we'll see Season 4!

There was so much Season 3 did not show such as Anne's Wedding and attempted kidnap and went from late 60's to 1977 in the blink of an eye.

It just wasn’t a good season. I expected better.

It just wasn’t a good season. I expected better.

I had high expectations for this series I loved Olivia Coleman as the Queen and thought she did a fantastic job as did Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip.Helena Bonham Carter went all out to make Margaret as unlikable as possible also worth nods are Charles Dance,Josh O'Connor,Ben Daniels and Erin Doherty.
Marian Bailey only seems to have found her voice towards the end of series and was underused for three quarters of the series just sitting there grinning or swilling alcohol.

The episode with Prince Philip and the vicars was my least favourite and the time could have been better spent on Anne's wedding,Princess Alice's death and so on.

Not to be a hater, but I don't think it was a well-deserved win at all. Olivia's performance was flat and she only portrayed a deer in the headlights version of the queen. She was very stiff and confused for what was supposed to be a "settled" queen.

I didn't enjoy this series as much as previous series, especially the later episodes. The moon landing episode was tedious. The Aberfan episode was very well done though I thought.

I found it really odd how they went into such detail with the relationship between Princess Anne and Andrew Parker-Bowles, and then completely ignored her marriage. I think perhaps there is a certain storyline they are pursuing (i.e the Charles/Camilla/Diana storyline) and it was seen as peripheral to that storyline.

It seemed rushed it was early 70's in the second last episode and it then end with the Silver Jubilee in 1977,yes there were quite a few superfluous story lines but over all I did enjoy though not as much as Season 1 & 2.

Not to be a hater, but I don't think it was a well-deserved win at all. Olivia's performance was flat and she only portrayed a deer in the headlights version of the queen. She was very stiff and confused for what was supposed to be a "settled" queen.

I agree with you I thought her performance was Flat …...

I think the actors portraying Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Philip and his mother are outstanding! I am less enthused with the portrayals by Olivia Coleman, Marion Bailey, and Helena Bonham Carter.

IMO, Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby were so brilliant in their portrayals of the Queen and Princess Margaret that Coleman and Bonham Carter just can't compare, despite being competent actresses. There was something so incandescent in Claire Foy's face. She gave such depth, substance and humanity to the Queen in her portrayal, even despite not being a great physical match. While Kirby was facially similar to Margaret, Kirby was way too tall, towering over Foy when in fact, Margaret was even smaller than the Queen.

Oddly, Bonham Carter resembles an older Foy, and Coleman resembles an older Kirby. And if the roles Foy and Kirby portrayed had been switched, they most certainly could have done an equally great job. Bonham Carter looks nothing like Margaret, and the portrayal is overly slutty. I think Margaret was rebellious and imperiously demanding as well as wayward, with huge emotional problems, but I doubt she carried herself in the manner written for Bonham Carter, despite the naughty wit that Margaret definitely had. I think Margaret was very vulnerable underneath her bravado and her imperious manner.

Coleman is simply overly stiff and IMO, she tries too hard yet fails to replicate Foy's presence, elegance, and steel beneath the discreet and careful manner. The camera loves Foy's face. The camera does not love Coleman's face. It's unsurprising that Coleman has been nominated for awards for this performance, but the award nods are undeserving. I certainly hope she doesn't win anything for this, but she apparently has already won a Golden Globe; an Emmy along with British honors will surely also follow. I don't think she should have won the Oscar last year either for the Queen Anne comedy drama, although it may have been more deserved than this current portrayal.

I really miss Foy and Matt Smith together (even though Menzies is an excellent older Philip). If you watch the end of season 2 to catch back up with the story before viewing season 3, the effect of the major casting changes is overly jarring. Making it even more discordant is the fact that only a year or two is supposed to have passed between the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3! There's no way Foy/Smith would have changed that drastically into Coleman/Menzies within that short period of time. Again, I'm not bothered by Menzies being cast as Philip, but I am by Coleman cast as the Queen, despite Coleman physically looking the part extremely well.

I don't think the role of young Camilla was cast well, and neither was the role of Andrew Parker Bowles. In fact, the actor who introduces the Anne character to Parker Bowles looks more like Parker Bowles than the actor who protrays Parker Bowles. :ermm:

AFAIK, Camilla would have dropped everything in a minute if she felt that Charles would actually buck up the nerve to go against his family and marry her. When Charles was sent away on a military assignment, Camilla knew she couldn't hold out waiting for Charles any longer. I'm not sure that what The Crown has suggested holds any truth regarding parental encouragement being involved in Camilla and Andrew P-B deciding to marry.

In regard to the relationship between Anne and Parker-Bowles, I read that since APB is Catholic, Anne knew it was impossible for them to marry. But by all accounts, Anne was head-over-heels in love with APB! Anne was not engaging in a casual hook-up with Parker-Bowles by any means. Anne married Mark Phillips on the rebound after Camilla and APB married.

It has been widely reported that APB was very promiscuous. He had an on-off relationship with Camilla in addition to many other conquests. Therefore, it's unclear what APB's romantic feelings for Anne actually were. But to this day, they remain friends.

I would have loved to see the kidnapping true story dramatized, but filmmakers have explained that they had to make choices and narrow down the incidents they covered. Maybe they felt the focus would shift too much toward Anne and away from the Charles storyline had they focused too much on Anne. The untrue sequence with Anne setting up her aunt to run into the media is apparently supposed to help suffice for how ballsy, forceful and in charge Anne's personality is.

Last edited:
Its strange as Princess Margaret got more onscreen time than both Anne and the queen mother,Marion Bailey was more or less a 'silent' extra for most of the series until the last episode and was never really given any time to shine.

Either the Princess Anne marriage/attempted kidnap would have been a far more interesting story than Philip and the Vicars and the Moon landing.

Just finished the series and, while being my least favorite of the 3 series, I still really enjoyed it. Princess's Alice, Anne, and Prince Charles we're the standouts of the series and its a shame they didn't utilize Erin Doherty's Princess Anne more. An episode on her kidnapping attempt and wedding would have been outstanding. She stole every scene she was in. I also wouldn't mind a spinoff mini-series with Jane Lapatoire as Princess Alice as I could have watched her for hours. HBC did a good job as an ageing alcoholic Princess Margaret and I actually liked Marion Baileys Queen Mum...its no secret she spent her Queen Mum years drinking, gambling, and enjoying all the pleasures of life. However, as a rabid fan of Olivia Coleman, it pains me to say she was miscast as QEII and done a disservice by the writers. Its as if they told her to just sit down and stare blankly ahead for the whole series. Claire Foy was "the star" of the first two series but Olivia Coleman often felt like a background character. The few emotional moments where they utilized her acting ability were marvelous though. Which brings me the series finale and the scene's between Margaret and the Queen which brought me to tears and made me even sadder about the current situation between Prince's William and Harry. Looking forward to see how they handle all the high-octane drama of the 80s and 90s.

I am dying to see this. I haven't seen a single episode yet - I have a long vacation in the summer and I'm going to binge watch the whole thing.

In this link you can see many (much younger!) members of the royal family.

American posters might be interested to know that US sailors & marines took part in the funeral procession. They can seen about 2.30 in.

That will be an interesting watch. I understand that The Queen was fond of uncle Dickie. Her mother less so:)

Yet in Series 3 the writers had it the other way round ?

Excellent choice looking forward to the fifth series already!

Back
Top Bottom