"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buckingham Palace says it does not endorse The Crown.
It is unfortunate that people will believe what they see and hear when what they are seeing is "behind the speculation" in The Crown, written by TV writers not historians or even biographers. For them to intimate that they have the endorsement of the BRF is an attempt to bestow a biographical origin to it and boost audiences.

It is sad that those who watch the series don't even realise that the writers of The Crown have played fast and loose with the truth and with history, all of which is easily disproved by historical facts and even good old google. But we know they will not look because they think they are watching "History".

:previous: Indeed it is more soap opera then a historical documentary. Yes the characters are real and there is some history to it. But the literary license taken with characters and events is strong. This is not like movies like the Queen which stayed as true as possible to the actual events.

I look forward to seeing the new actors and how the transition goes.

Interesting to see Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret. She played the Queen Mum in the King's Speech.

Loved Claire, but I think Olivia will do wonderful as the new Elizabeth.

I am just now, finally, starting to binge watch "The Crown" after wanting to get Netflix for years (thanks to my son). I'm still on the first season and I'm loving every episode so far.

When a series such as this is made from historical events, the producers and directors often take dramatic license with the stories to make it flow easier, stress a point in certain areas and I can't take everything that is the episodes as fact nor did I expect to. Its also happened with different "real life" characters that were made into a presentation for movies and TV. The Sound of Music comes to mind.

I absolutely love John Lithgow's portrayal of Winston Churchill and was impressed by Alex Jennings' portrayal of The Duke of Windsor. All in all, I'm very happy to be able to binge watch this series. Up next after that will be "Outlander". :biggrin"

I am just now, finally, starting to binge watch "The Crown" after wanting to get Netflix for years (thanks to my son). I'm still on the first season and I'm loving every episode so far.

When a series such as this is made from historical events, the producers and directors often take dramatic license with the stories to make it flow easier, stress a point in certain areas and I can't take everything that is the episodes as fact nor did I expect to. Its also happened with different "real life" characters that were made into a presentation for movies and TV. The Sound of Music comes to mind.

I absolutely love John Lithgow's portrayal of Winston Churchill and was impressed by Alex Jennings' portrayal of The Duke of Windsor. All in all, I'm very happy to be able to binge watch this series. Up next after that will be "Outlander". :biggrin"

I think its always a bit different when the historical figures in question are not so historical aka they are still alive to this day. I think people get the impression if you are doing a movie about a live person, the person approves.

Outlander is fantastic, you will love it. One of the few times I think the show does the books justice (though books still better).

Loved Claire, but I think Olivia will do wonderful as the new Elizabeth.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Olivia as the queen,I think she will do a very,very convincing job.

I too am looking forward to seeing Olivia in the Crown as she's my favourite actress at the moment and a good one at that.

However, I've seen the trailers and to me I just can't get past the fact that it is Olivia more so than the Queen on the screen. Claire Foy was relatively unknown to me when she did it and I hadn't seen her in anything else, so had no attachment to the actress.

Hopefully, I'll get past it after a couple of full episodes and will see the Queen more so than Olivia!

I had only known Claire Foy from the BBC adaption of Wolf Hall where she played a very ruthless and conniving Anne Boleyn.

Very well done to Olivia she's a wonderful actress .

The queen doesn't look too pleased ;)

The BBC says the first episode will be about the traitor Blunt. It will be interesting drawing comparisons to Alan Bennett's masterful "A Question of Attribution". Such a wonderful drama & an amusing slightly tongue in cheek portrayal of HM by Prunella Scales.

I won't be bothering. I got Netflix for series 1 and kept it for series 2 but I gave up after about three episodes of series 2 due to the fact it was total garbage. As Netflix had nothing else I wanted to watch I won't be watching any part of series 3 (or any later series). I have better things to do with my money than waste it on that sort of fictional rubbish that, sadly, many people think is actually the truth.

I'm looking forward to season 3 actually. After watching the first two seasons, I browsed around Netflix and found quite a few "historical pieces" that I really enjoy too. The Last Kingdom centered around Alfred the Great, Reign which portrays the era of Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I, Outlander and a remake of an old classic I enjoyed with my kid when they were growing up. The Dark Crystal (Jim Henson of Muppet fame classic movie). Its free for me as I'm watching it on my son's account. I also have the Borgias, the Medicis, Versailles, an old series I used to like called "Merlin" and a few more earmarked to watch over the coming cold winter here.

The Crown doesn't bother me that its interwoven with so much fiction. I think that is what adds to the story line and keeps it flowing. You get the basic truths of the matter and events of the time with poetic license. It makes the characters come alive. Things really did happen but the "behind closed doors" angles are totally a screenwriter's supposition of "what if this happened"

We have a satellite feed for our television watching and even with all of those channels available, I find very little programming that captures my interest. I don't like reality TV, I don't like the majority of shows presented that seem to lower the intelligence level of viewers. My hubby *loves* sports whether it be hockey, American football, international hockey and soccer etc. He's happy watching those and I stream Netflix. So we're happy.

The jewelry replicas probably are the only thing attracting me and one thing keeps annoying me is that where are the tiara replicas in S1&2? I know there will be King George IV Diadem and Margaret's Poltimore but it seems that they just let Olivia and Helena wear some random tiaras in other scene. (Did Van Cleef become their new sponsor? One of them looks like the diamond tiara worn by P Grace.)

An interview with Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham Carter ahead of Season 3

I am currently binge watching the new season and it is living up to expectations. Lots of Cold War and American related politics. Who knew Princess Margaret would be Britain’s secret charm offensive against the American presidency to gain a huge multi billion dollar bail out to save the UK which ended successfully with White House drinking contest, very colourful limerick making and singing.

Hope you enjoy I'm saving it for over the Festive Season!

It’s been all very thought provoking and interesting so far. Episode 4 is a lovely human tribute to Princess Alice of Battenberg who melts all hearts especially that of her son.

The Aberfan episode was heart breaking, but personally I doubt the Queen faked tears.

wanted to visit earlier and were told not to.

It had 'got about' that the Wilson Govt had been less than strict on upholding regulations regarding the disposal of 'slag', and the Govt were afraid of the reaction of the locals to 'authority figures', hence their reluctance to permitting the Royal Family visiting.

I didn't bring it up to tall about the Queen's actions, I was impressed with the episode as a piece of TV viewing.

I don't doubt the Queen was upset by it, anyone who saw it would be upset by it, never mind when actually being there.

Its important to remember that before this the Queen and royals didn't habitually visit the sites of disasters and tragedies. This was breaking the mould.

Interestingly, being from Wales myself, the Queen's apparent lack of clamouring to race to Aberfan while they were still looking for children is seen as a bigger issue to those outside of Aberfan and to commentators now rather than it was to those who had lost children and relatives at the time.

Back
Top Bottom