"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anybody know if the series will come out on dvd ? I'd LOVE to watch it!!

The DVD of television series usually comes out about a month or so before the next season. So probably around Oct or Nov for a early Dec season 2 release date.

The new series is out on December 8th,so I'd imagine series 1 will be released on dvd shortly before that.

I am SO EXCITED!!!! I just loved the first season.

Thank you! Oh it would be SOOO freaking cool to get this series on dvd!
Some said netflix doesnt publish on dvd and I was a bit shocked.

Not every Netflix show comes out on DVD but the big hits like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black are. Amazon U.K. has the blu Ray/DVD release date for season 1 as Oct 16 2017. Don't know wear you live but I would think other countries would be around the same time frame.

I have a question, in the second episode of season one, both QEQM and Queen Mary curtseyed to the new queen. Is that correct or would they not have had to curtest because they were queens too?

I believe they were showing their respects to the new sovereign. I think they did for once only, not as like with other HRHs. I remember reading that Queen Mary was already frail by that time, but still insisted to perform a curtsey to her granddaughter.

I believe they would have always had to curtsey to her as she was queen regent and they were only queen consorts.

I believe they would have always had to curtsey to her as she was queen regent and they were only queen consorts.

I have never ever seen the late Queen Elizabeth making a révérence to her own daughter or to any other monarch or consort. And I doubt the formidable Queen Mary would have done so. People tend to overdramatize protocol. It is a very own (grand)daughter who lost a father.

The Crown is full with factual errors, so take it all with a firm pinch of salt.

I have just ordered Season 1 through amazon.co.uk and hopefully I will have it be the end of October - not yet released but they do have a release date of early October.

I have had some issues with amazon uk this year with one of the companies they use to deliver - 100% failure to arrive with that one while 100% success with Royal Mail so hopefully they will send with Royal Mail and not have to send me a second or third uses RM rather than this other company.

Casting of "The Crown"

This has probably been discussed already. I thought the series was exceptionally well done. The excellent acting made the physical appearance of some cast members a minor point, but I do find it distracting when they get the physical aspects so far off (Margaret, Churchill, and David/Edward way too tall; Albert/George VI not resembling the real King at all; Wallis way too short in comparison to David; Phillip not nearly handsome enough -- sorry to be blunt). Again, the superb acting made these things forgivable, but I do wonder why they couldn't find actors who were a better physical match. The one who played David resembled him in the face better than any I've seen in any movie or series before, though, so that's probably why they cast him despite his being too tall. I suspect they cast who they did for George VI because his facial features sort of generally resemble Colin Firth, wanting to capitalize on people's familiarity with The King's Speech, but that's just a hunch.

Last edited:
I believe they were showing their respects to the new sovereign. I think they did for once only, not as like with other HRHs. I remember reading that Queen Mary was already frail by that time, but still insisted to perform a curtsey to her granddaughter.

When the new Queen returned to London from Kenya Queen Mary insisted on being driven from Marlborough House (her home) to Clarence House to give her immediate homage to the new Sovereign. She said to Elizabeth, referring to the Queen in the third person in the formal way, "Her old Grannie and subject must be the first to kiss her hand!" (Apparently she then scolded her because in her opinion the Queen's skirts were too short for mourning!)

As per Amazon the Crown Series1 will be released on October 16, 2017 on dvd.

This has probably been discussed already. I thought the series was exceptionally well done. The excellent acting made the physical appearance of some cast members a minor point, but I do find it distracting when they get the physical aspects so far off (Margaret, Churchill, and David/Edward way too tall; Albert/George VI not resembling the real King at all; Wallis way too short in comparison to David; Phillip not nearly handsome enough -- sorry to be blunt). Again, the superb acting made these things forgivable, but I do wonder why they couldn't find actors who were a better physical match. The one who played David resembled him in the face better than any I've seen in any movie or series before, though, so that's probably why they cast him despite his being too tall. I suspect they cast who they did for George VI because his facial features sort of generally resemble Colin Firth, wanting to capitalize on people's familiarity with The King's Speech, but that's just a hunch.

I agree the acting was generally very good, but the casting was off. I think Claire Foy is an excellent actor and she overcame somewhat not actually being the best physical match for a young Queen Elizabeth. However, Foy's expressions were often too angsty. The young Queen Elizabeth, from photos I've seen, appears to have had a much more generally ebullient, albeit self-contained demeanor, at least publicly. I suppose she did go through a transformation in how she interacted with others though after inheriting the throne. Overall, there's something about Foy's portrayal that just doesn't seem right, although as the character's arc grows stronger in how she interacts with others, Foy sometimes seems to hit the right nuances in her portrayal, but that's likely due to the fact she's got the accent and speaking voice down pat.

The female actor who played Margaret was right facially and personality-wise, but her huge height was very distracting. The real Margaret did not tower over her sister Elizabeth. No way. It makes Margaret look older than Elizabeth. Maybe the two actors should have switched parts. I think the real Elizabeth and Margaret as adults were similar in height, weren't they? Or Margaret may even have been slightly shorter than her sister in their young adulthood. The actor who played Townsend had a similar sunken-in structure to his face, but in other physical aspects, he was just wrong. The real Townsend was very tall and very boyish-looking despite his being 16 years older than Margaret. I think it was important for Margaret to be cast as petite as she was in real life, but with the feisty mercurial personality that we did see portrayed. And Townsend should have been cast as tall and boyishly handsome as he actually was. The real and deep attraction they actually had for each other would make more sense with better casting.

I totally disagree with the way they portrayed Margaret as engaging in some kind of naughty fling. That's not how it started out, as Margaret was 15 when she began developing an attraction to Townsend. The real Townsend was a boyish looking war hero who did not resemble an old fuddy-duddy physically. Also, King George VI knew about Margaret's attraction to Townsend well before he passed away. The timing and chronology of events and motivations is thrown off in the way the romance between Margaret and Townsend is depicted.

I like the actor who played Philip. I don't think the casting director did a bad job there. The Queen Mother and King George VI were fine as cast, although of course the real Albert/King George VI looked not much like the actor who portrayed him. But the actor did such a fine job that in this instance, it didn't matter. John Lithgow was absolutely brilliant as Winston Churchill. Surely he must have won awards already for his portrayal.

I take issue with a number of scenes, dialog and plot devices that I found disappointing and off-the-mark, but I'll discuss it later.

Last edited:
Olivia Coleman from Broadchurch and The Night Manager is taking over for Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II for Season 3 and 4 of The Crown

:previous:

It has been announced that Olivia Colman is to take over from Claire Foy in portraying The Queen for Netflix’s drama, ‘The Crown’.

Colman, who has been lauded for her performances in ‘Broadchurch’ and ‘The Night Manager’, expressed her glee at winning the role: “I’m so thrilled to be part of The Crown. I was utterly gripped watching it.”

Read more: Olivia Colman to play Queen in 'The Crown' after Claire Foy • The Crown Chronicles

I remember Olivia Coleman played Carol Thatcher in the Iron lady a few years back.

:previous:

Peter Morgan:

1. He's a republican.

2. He made Helen Mirren portray the Queen (a very nice, kind and cute lady with an amazing smile) as a limited emotionally grumpy (you know the word).

3. He has told a Norwegian journalist that the only reason the Queen is popular is because she's a bit stupid, he has said that he has never been fascinated by either the Queen or the monarchy, he often laughs off the Queen in interviews, he often calls her Elizabeth Windsor, he has said that a constitutional monarchy is a ridiculous/insane political system and he has (as he also does in this interview with The Sunday Times's Culture magazine) called the monarchy/royal family for a virus.

The Queen:

1. Is according to John Major, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron, other constitutional monarchs (including Harald V and QMII), several US Presidents, several other heads of states/governments, several governor generals, several former courtiers, several other people and her children and grandchildren a very wise and intelligent lady.

2. And yes, she is good with her dogs/horses, but she is according to former governor general of Canada David Johnston and several others even better with people.

3. This is one of many touching stories about her - and as one can read/hear - this is not a ''woman of limited intelligence'':
Surgeon David Nott recalls how Queen's corgis helped him - BBC News

4. So perhaps this dude should do some research about this amazing lady (which he has earned a lot of money on) before he says stupid things.

Last edited:
Olivia Coleman is a fantastic actress. I'm sure she'll do a great job playing the Queen, just like Claire has.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is far far from unintelligent. Anyone who thinks that must be missing quite a few marbles themselves. :lol:

I wouldn't call the Queen an 'intellectual,' but that doesn't mean she isn't very smart about life, about people, and about subjects that interest her. She clearly has a great sense of humor, common sense and motherwit. She's knowledgeable and wise about things that 'intellectuals' might in fact be less than smart about. ?

Last edited:
I have never ever seen the late Queen Elizabeth making a révérence to her own daughter or to any other monarch or consort. And I doubt the formidable Queen Mary would have done so. People tend to overdramatize protocol. It is a very own (grand)daughter who lost a father.

The Crown is full with factual errors, so take it all with a firm pinch of salt.

It would be appropriate for them to curtsy on the Queen's accession to the throne and no longer thereafter. So, I think the scene is accurate.

Incidentally, in the Ancien Régime, queen consorts routinely curtsied to reigning kings, didn't they ?

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is far far from unintelligent. Anyone who thinks that must be missing quite a few marbles themselves. :lol:

I wouldn't call the Queen an 'intellectual,' but that doesn't mean she isn't very smart about life, about people, and about subjects that interest her. She clearly has a great sense of humor, common sense and motherwit. She's knowledgeable and wise about things that 'intellectuals' might in fact be less than smart about. ?

I think what the writer meant is that Queen is a person with a limited education, rather than a limited intelligence, which I think is actually true. Unlike Queen Margrethe or Princess Beatrix for example, QEII doesn't have a university degree or even a secondary school diploma actually. She was basically "homeschooled" by tutors and the quality of that kind of tutoring is uncertain and not subject to external review/control and standardization as it is the case with national school exams or university exams.

I also think that it is a unanimous consensus that, after being 60 years on the throne and meeting most major historic figures of the second half of the 20th century and early 21st century (not to mention hundreds of other less prominent people from all walks of life and traveling all over the world), QEII has a accumulated a body of "practical knowledge" that is probably unmatched by any other monarch or world leader.

Last edited:
I think what the writer meant is that Queen is a person with a limited education, rather than a limited intelligence, which I think is actually true. Unlike Queen Margrethe or Princess Beatrix for example, QEII doesn't have a university degree or even a secondary school diploma actually. She was basically "homeschooled" by tutors and the quality of that kind of tutoring is uncertain and not subject to external review/control and standardization as it is the case with national school exams or university exams.
Quality of the queen's tutoring was very high:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Marten_(educator)

As I said, like all non-standardized forms of education, that cannot be objectively or independently verified.

Back in 30s and 40s all education was non-standardized. New education system with exams was introduced only in 1944 when Elizabeth was 18 years old. Before this reform it was regarded adequate for most children to leave education aged 14.

Back
Top Bottom