Elizabeth II's Coronation 1953 - 60th Anniversary Documentaries (2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing indeed and thanks to you Dman for the link, as usual ...

You're welcome. Trust me, I was hoping to see the ceremony and looking for a way to watch it. I'm glad CPAC decided to air the ceremony online.

I've watched most of the entire day. I'm exhausted and I was in a comfy chair .

It will be a lot shorter - fewer nobles; fewer courtiers; fewer military (including those marching in the parade) - there seemed to be "jobs for the boys" so-to-speak. Liked the involvement of the Commonwealth and hadn't realised how extended the parade was - they marched over 5 miles!.

Very moving - the key ceremony will not change IMO

The Coronation is such a beautiful and grand old ceremony but I the only way I think I would've made it through the service, if someone sat me near a bathroom, with a couple of sandwiches and a bottle of water. I now see why members of the congregation was eating and drinking during the ceremony.

All I can say is amazing!!

I can only imagine just how hot and heavy all that regalia was as they kept adding it on. The Queen, although, carried it all off as if it was the weight of a couple of feathers. She was totally ramrod straight during the entire ceremony and moved, knelt, stood with extreme grace. After the length of that ceremony, any thing else she's had to regally suffer through was probably a piece of cake after remembering her coronation day.

I agree with the idea that the next coronation will probably not be as long but I really, really hope that they retain every detail of Queen Elizabeth's as far as the actual coronation goes. I did see it fitting that the TV audience were blacked out on the most spiritual aspects... the anointing and the receiving of communion. Those parts are between the monarch and their God and should be kept private as much as possible.

Fact that REALLY surprised me was that it was estimated to have been viewed by 27 million people on UK television, 11 million on the radio and US viewers were was an extensive number of million viewers but heck if I can remember or trace back to CPAC's statement.

Last edited:
I read 87 million US.

I dont remember this at all, but my other half says that his father bought a TV especially and about 25 people (mostly neighbours) crammed into their living room to watch.

I read 87 million US.

I dont remember this at all, but my other half says that his father bought a TV especially and about 25 people (mostly neighbours) crammed into their living room to watch.

That's what I thought I had remembered but then thought that was a humungous figure. Good grief... that was 1953!. I don't remember it either as I was 18 months old. First TV memory I have was the Mickey Mouse Club on a 4 inch black and white at around 5. Television just wasn't the ordinary appliance found in the home yet but starting to get there.

The other miracle witnessed today was a 4 year old little boy who seemed to behave impeccably throughout the, what must have seemed to stretch on forever, ceremony.

Listen:
BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A Royal Gala Programme of Radio Variety 1953:
For Coronation year, Ted Ray and a host of BBC radio stars perform for HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0210j5m

Coronation Day Across the World:
4 Extra Debut. 'The end of a day, but the beginning of an age.' Global radio reports celebrating HM the Queen's coronation. From June 1953.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0210ly3

The Coronation: 6oth Anniversary Service- BBC One-10am UK- June 4th
Sixty years after being crowned, Her Majesty the Queen returns to Westminster Abbey for a service of celebration. There she is joined by her children and grandchildren, along with other members of the Royal Family. The choir performs music sung at the coronation in 1953; and the prayers and readings echo rituals that go back a thousand years-
BBC One - The Coronation: 60th Anniversary Service, Live

Westminster Abbey ‏@wabbey 2h
To follow the service along at home the Order of Service will be available to download from Abbey website tomorrow morning #coronation60th

Anyone knows what time does the service starts tomorow? Can we watch it online?

Any link to watch the digitally re-mastered version of the Abbey Coronation Service?

Starts at 11.00am but the programme starts maybe 1 hr earlier. BBC is showing it and also Sky. I'll check that and come back in a few minutes

EDIT

FROM SKYROYALREPORTER
#royal Coverage of Coronation Service tomor on #skynews from 7am + guess who tried to get his hands on the crown aged 4 on Coronation Day

Last edited:
Hey I was too busy to see. But just tell me how does Anne refer to Charles in that interview? Charles/PoW/simply my brother? Just curious..

my brother

The People's Coronation With David Dimbleby- BBC One 9pm Tonight UK Time
BBC One - The People's Coronation with David Dimbleby

I've just watched this and it was great. David Dimbleby's father was the commentator for the BBC broadcast in 1953 and has some insider info which is worth watching. IT also shows footage of George Vi's coronation and how the coronation was celebrated in the UK. As well as BBc b/w film, it also shows colour footage. I really enjoyed it.

It is showing again on Sunday 9th June at 15:25 on BBC1 and Monday 10th June at 00:40 on BBC2. Also available on I-player.

Have I mentioned? - I really enjoyed it!

I too enjoyed the program. These Coronations really are the 'Peoples Coronation' and just imagine the excitement and coverage there will be for the next one.

It's a long ceremony and I wonder, with Charles's age, how will he hold up during it? The Queen was younger during her Coronation. Charles will be tired after a ceremony like that now, IMO.

Anyone please in the UK who recorded the live coverage of the coronation last sunday on DVD who´d be willing to share a copy?!

Anyone please in the UK who recorded the live coverage of the coronation last sunday on DVD who´d be willing to share a copy?!

I imagine it'll be on amazon soon enough, everything usually is.

St Edward's Crown will be at the Abbey tomorrow

Queen's coronation a
anniversary: Crown to leave Tower for first time since 1953 for Westminster Abbey service - Telegraph

Queen's coronation anniversary: Crown to leave Tower for first time since 1953 for Westminster Abbey service
The 350-year-old crown which was used for the Queen’s coronation will leave the Tower of London for the first time since 1953 so it can play a part in today’s 60th anniversary service at Westminster Abbey.

The priceless St Edward’s Crown will travel amid the tightest possible security to be placed on the High Altar of the Abbey together with the Ampulla, a gold, eagle-shaped bottle from which holy oil was poured to anoint the Queen.
The Dean of Westminster, The Very Rev Dr John Hall, said the crown would provide “a powerful symbol of the moment of coronation”.

ORDER OF SERVICE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...versary-celebration-at-Westminster-Abbey.html

Last edited:
It's going to be great to see the Crown Jewels at the service.

cepe;1558030 The priceless St Edward’s Crown will travel amid the tightest possible security to be placed on the High Altar of the Abbey together with the Ampulla said:
What I found very interesting during CPAC's rebroadcast of the 1953 Coronation is that it had excellent running text commentary during the ceremony.

The holy oil for anointing held in the Ampulla had to be made up new at the altar because of the fact that the already blessed oil that had been kept in storage from coronation to coronation was destroyed during the bombing in London during WWII. Luckily they were able to find the recipe though. This tells me though that if and when it comes time for Charles' coronation it will be the same blessed oil used at his mother's.

Last edited:
So I did the conversions and the service should start 3am PST and 6am EST

Last edited:
Having just finished waching at last the whole broadcast of the Coronation that BBC Parliament aired, apart from usual symbols of the Queen's majesty such as the crown, orb and scepter, I noticed one other extremely important item.....her handbag! As the Golden Coach left Westmnster Abbey, there on the seat in front of her tucked in amongst the folds of her purple robe was a white handbag! Always present, always close to her even at her Coronation procession!

Back
Top Bottom