The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm really looking forward to the People's Coronation on Monday night

BBC unveils the Queen's Coronation celebration season to mark the 60 years as a monarch - hellomagazine.com

Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Queen's coronation 60th anniversary: watch colour highlights of 1953 ceremony:
Video: Queen's coronation 60th anniversary: watch colour highlights of 1953 ceremony - Telegraph

BBC Parliament-
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II: Sunday, June 2nd 10:10am UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b025t5zb

Video:
How Queen Elizabeth II Coronation footage was re-mastered:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22728776

Video:
Cecil Beaton's Coronation Day photograph recreated:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/0/22704939

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Majesty

CPAC Video:
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II:
On the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll, CPAC presents the complete, unedited coronation ceremony held in Westminster Abbey on June 2, 1953. Follow along here live (Sunday, June 2 at 10:15 am ET / 7:15 am PT) for a real-time multimedia look at the coronation!-
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Event begins on June 2 at 9:00 AM

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
CPAC Video:
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II:
On the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth ll, CPAC presents the complete, unedited coronation ceremony held in Westminster Abbey on June 2, 1953. Follow along here live (Sunday, June 2 at 10:15 am ET / 7:15 am PT) for a real-time multimedia look at the coronation!-

Event begins on June 2 at 9:00 AM
Thank you Dman! I was all set to sit here bemoaning lack of coverage here in the US and along comes this marvelous link! All set and ready for viewing tomorrow morning!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

So excited about this, will probably have had no sleep but hey ho, feel like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (for people of my generation, I do appreciate it's a second chance for some)

Where's the bouncing off the walls and ceiling emoticon!!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Serene Highness

Dman, you are a true lifesaver!! I also was expecting to go about my day sulking and being downright impossible to be around. Thanks to you, I can be pleasant and charming tomorrow. Thank you, thank you. I am forever grateful. :) :)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Gentry

God Save The Queen on this very special day for Her Majesty.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Majesty

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II: Live Now

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

The coronation of Elizabeth II: 5 unknown facts | Spletnik.ru
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Majesty

I'm watching the Coronation and it's amazing but I do see the need to shorten the length of the ceremony.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

Amazing indeed and thanks to you Dman for the link, as usual ...
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Majesty

You're welcome. Trust me, I was hoping to see the ceremony and looking for a way to watch it. I'm glad CPAC decided to air the ceremony online.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I've watched most of the entire day. I'm exhausted and I was in a comfy chair .

It will be a lot shorter - fewer nobles; fewer courtiers; fewer military (including those marching in the parade) - there seemed to be "jobs for the boys" so-to-speak. Liked the involvement of the Commonwealth and hadn't realised how extended the parade was - they marched over 5 miles!.

Very moving - the key ceremony will not change IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Majesty

The Coronation is such a beautiful and grand old ceremony but I the only way I think I would've made it through the service, if someone sat me near a bathroom, with a couple of sandwiches and a bottle of water. I now see why members of the congregation was eating and drinking during the ceremony.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

All I can say is amazing!!

I can only imagine just how hot and heavy all that regalia was as they kept adding it on. The Queen, although, carried it all off as if it was the weight of a couple of feathers. She was totally ramrod straight during the entire ceremony and moved, knelt, stood with extreme grace. After the length of that ceremony, any thing else she's had to regally suffer through was probably a piece of cake after remembering her coronation day.

I agree with the idea that the next coronation will probably not be as long but I really, really hope that they retain every detail of Queen Elizabeth's as far as the actual coronation goes. I did see it fitting that the TV audience were blacked out on the most spiritual aspects... the anointing and the receiving of communion. Those parts are between the monarch and their God and should be kept private as much as possible.

Fact that REALLY surprised me was that it was estimated to have been viewed by 27 million people on UK television, 11 million on the radio and US viewers were was an extensive number of million viewers but heck if I can remember or trace back to CPAC's statement.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I read 87 million US.

I dont remember this at all, but my other half says that his father bought a TV especially and about 25 people (mostly neighbours) crammed into their living room to watch.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I read 87 million US.

I dont remember this at all, but my other half says that his father bought a TV especially and about 25 people (mostly neighbours) crammed into their living room to watch.
That's what I thought I had remembered but then thought that was a humungous figure. Good grief... that was 1953!. I don't remember it either as I was 18 months old. First TV memory I have was the Mickey Mouse Club on a 4 inch black and white at around 5. Television just wasn't the ordinary appliance found in the home yet but starting to get there.

The other miracle witnessed today was a 4 year old little boy who seemed to behave impeccably throughout the, what must have seemed to stretch on forever, ceremony.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Listen:
BBC Radio 4 Extra:
A Royal Gala Programme of Radio Variety 1953:
For Coronation year, Ted Ray and a host of BBC radio stars perform for HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0210j5m

Coronation Day Across the World:
4 Extra Debut. 'The end of a day, but the beginning of an age.' Global radio reports celebrating HM the Queen's coronation. From June 1953.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0210ly3
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Majesty

The Coronation: 6oth Anniversary Service- BBC One-10am UK- June 4th
Sixty years after being crowned, Her Majesty the Queen returns to Westminster Abbey for a service of celebration. There she is joined by her children and grandchildren, along with other members of the Royal Family. The choir performs music sung at the coronation in 1953; and the prayers and readings echo rituals that go back a thousand years-
BBC One - The Coronation: 60th Anniversary Service, Live

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II: Live Now
What a moving event and seeing it the way people saw it that very day was the best part of all. Impressed that they informed the viewer of every detail. I hope it gets put on YouTube. I love full version like this. Thank you Dman for posting this.