"The Borgias" (2011) - TV Series

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna Mia

Aristocracy
City
Milano
Country
Italy
The television series- The Tudors is in Europe, but I heard that America is finishing the last season and replacing it with a new series about the Borgias, which would be coming to Europe later. Can anyone tell me if this is still happening in the US? Is there going to be a series called The Borgias to replace The Tudors.

The Borgias starts in 2011 within the USA and features Jeremy Irons :), so it should also come to Europe too, maybe a year later.

Soooo looking forward to this when we lose The Tudors!

Agreed scooter. The Borgias should be interesting. Is the same director and producer of the Tudors? If it is I hope the plot is more historically accurate.:flowers:

The same group for the whole production...should be lots of fun!

It will be interesting to see how they shape the plot for the series. The Tudors is really focused on the King's relationship with his wives, but the plot of The Borgias could have diversity. Who will end up to be the lead character, Lucrezia Borgia or Rodrigo?

Well, the Borgia's start this weekend and so far, its gotten a good review from USA Today.

Is anyone else going to watch this this weekend?

ShowTime had the first two episodes on-demand this week. It looks like it's going to be a good show.

I don't think I'll have time to watch it this weekend but I'm really looking forward to this series. Aside from Jeremy Irons, I'm looking forward to watching Colm Feore who is a wonderful actor. I'm not so sure about the rest of the cast but will reserve my final judgment until I see their performance.
Canada's CTV is one of the production companies behind the series and over here it will air on Bravo.
I actually came across the old Borgias series from the BBC on Youtube. Apparently it was panned by critics at the time.

We should also watch for François Arnaud playing Jeremy Irons`son. Ok I'm biased as he`s from here. But still a very talented young actor.

I'm in. And Princess BellyFlop, Arnaud is pretty wonderful to look at, yes? There is a host of wonderful actors in the series. I tivo'd it because Mr. Wynne is "NOT INTERESTED!" So I shall squirrel myself away and watch it BY MYSELF!

Yep - grat talent and good for the eyes. I loved him in Xavier Dolan`s first movie (`J'ai tué ma mère`) and in `Les Grandes Chaleurs` (I'm old enough to appreciate the sexy shower scene with the menopausal lady)

I like it and it appears to be quite interesting. I look forward to purchasing the series when it becomes available.

Jeremy Irons is always delicious to watch!

So far, it seems to me that at least four Borgias are going to be main characters and have their lives intertwined. There's no doubt, whatsoever, who the chief Borgia is, that's for sure.

The show is provoking me to do a little research (the various mistresses are apparently part of history, but I'd never heard of them by name before).

It's certainly a very lively show.

I missed it last night, but the best thing about cable is that it comes on again and again. I got caught up in a Supernatural DVD Marathon.

In the US EST its on at midnight......I've already set the TiVo.

There are some innaccuracies in "The Borgias" series ,but I'll recommend to watch them.I began them watching on Russian TV.
Lucrezia Borgia and her father are controversial historical personalities who reflect the decay of the Church in those periods.It's amazing to see that among the descendants of Lucrezia we could name present princes of Savoy and Austria-Este Houses.
It will be interesting to see more series in this way like "The Stewarts","The Romanovs" etc.

Last edited:
It does indeed, luckily I do. I'm sure youtube will have it up.

It does indeed, luckily I do. I'm sure youtube will have it up.

It might be shown on another station after Sky Atlantic,I prefer to watch series like the Borgias on TV......with a nice glass or two of wine :D

Why is it allways Lucrezia the incestrous ...? If there was incest Lucrezia was still a child when her father or brother raped her ... It was her brother who killed her husband - NOT Lucrezia who tried to prevent it ... ughhh, how I hate journalists...

I am looking forward to this series as a feast for the eye - I expect the production values will be high as The Tudors was. However, I guess the accuracy will leave a lot to be desired.
Lots of information about the series on the Sky Atlantic site

Sky Atlantic

Hi,

"The Borgias" is now replaying in Canada on CTV...
So far, Lucretia is seen as an innocent young girl, married off to a 'real jerk'.
Cesar is the licentious & murderous Cardinal - but he is so brilliantly played by Francois Arnaud (a Canadian actor) that you can't help but like him!!
Juan is seen as a petty complainer and a stupid hothead. He is David Oates (from Britain) and last year was in "The Pillars of the Earth" as a nasty villain, who loves getting bathed by his mother!!!

Jeremy Irons plays the Pope as a "two faced" conniver and is quite good.

We are presently on Chapter 5. I think there are 9 editions.....

Larry

HELP!! I only got to watch the first two episodes of Season 1 here in the USA and then I accidentally deleted the others before I could watch them...does anyone know if or when Season 1 will be repeated here?

Just watched the first episode & it looks promising. Well cast & no significant departures from events as far as I am aware. Francois Arnaud is very suitable as Cesare - he looks more than capable of all kinds of malicious acts

Just watched the first two episodes, I'm unsure as to whether or not I like it.

I have watched most of them and I have to confess that I was a little bit disapointed. I guess I expected too much. Recent studies have found no evidence that Lucrecia had an incestuous relationship with Cesare.

I have watched most of them and I have to confess that I was a little bit disapointed. I guess I expected too much. Recent studies have found no evidence that Lucrecia had an incestuous relationship with Cesare.
I believe she did have,it wasn't a simple record of it,maybe she had this affair with her brothers when she was teen(for that period) and later she stopped it,but once the people had heard of it they continued to consider her as such.

Back
Top Bottom