Television Programmes about the Dutch Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not really all that great I think.That girl is a starting,and way too much complaining,blond,who really hasn't got a clue on how it works in Royal circles.Her first lesson:Nobody was waiting for her,not interested in a starter with less then an idea.

She's nagging constantly that the Royal House is as closed as an oyster,and it is,to her,allthough she expected to be welcomed with champagne or what.It might be some nice tv,at some point,but really,its as empty as shallow can be.

I have to agree. The host's permanent "I am a newbie here" attitude is a little bit annoying after a while.

But then again, we have to take into account that the public this show aims to is not the "royalist" one... :nonono:

I think she had very little other options left, as there is just so much you can tell about most princesses. We don't know much about them and they obviously want it to stay that way. So ... It does give an interesting view of how all the journalism around the RF works though. And to my surprise Mabel can actually speak in a normal way too, without the idiotic posh accent. I actually do think that the presentor was right in saying that her and Laurentien's accents made people dislike them immidiately.

Btw, what does Laurentien reply with the phrase "geen idee" ("no idea") to? The host points it out but I still can't figure out what it was about.

(Dutch users, thanks in advance for the translation :flowers:)

What did you want to become when you were 13, 14 years old?:flowers:

Btw, what does Laurentien reply with the phrase "geen idee" ("no idea") to? The host points it out but I still can't figure out what it was about.

(Dutch users, thanks in advance for the translation :flowers:)

Thanks Susan Alicia!

Though I seriously doubt that, being that close to the RF from a very young age, she had absolutely no clue about her future :whistling: (just kidding)

So lovely, the little princesses asking for the balloons that the host was giving out at the Lech photosession ...

Princess Maxima

I read online that a Dutch tv channel is planning on making a movie about Maximas life prior to 2002. What could possibly be so interesting about her life in Argentina and NYC? Ex-boyfriends or lovers? Other than her fathers role in the Videla government is her family that interesting? Without making things up could you make a movie about her that would be interesting enough to hold peoples attention for 2 hours?

I read online that a Dutch tv channel is planning on making a movie about Maximas life prior to 2002. What could possibly be so interesting about her life in Argentina and NYC? Ex-boyfriends or lovers? Other than her fathers role in the Videla government is her family that interesting? Without making things up could you make a movie about her that would be interesting enough to hold peoples attention for 2 hours?

Hr father?

It depends very much om which dutch tv channel is making the movie....

In that case I expect a lovely nice series about all kinds of things she did when she was a 'civilian' like go to school, work, and yes, some references to her fathers political career...
No intentions whatsoever to trouble her (and apparently it was already planned before QB abdicated)

In other words not terribly interesting since going to school and working is pretty much the same for all of us.

In other words not terribly interesting since going to school and working is pretty much the same for all of us.

But with several cliffhangers to make you think that in the next episode something dramatic will happen :) And ofcourse a couple of episodes especially on how she met WA and how she met his parents etc..

ofcourse, this is only my humble view of things, so I might well be very wrong, but Princess Maxima is pretty popular in the NL, and I can't see this tv-station intending to change that view, much sooner adding to it...

Did anyone watch the first parts of the 10-part documentary 'Het verhaal van Nederland - Oranje Nassau' and if so, should I watch it as well?

Personally i'm a big fan of the 'Het verhaal van' programs, both the belgian and dutch versions.
I don't often watch royalty-shows, not one for 'The Crown' or the various Diana movies, and i didn't know what to expect from Het verhaal van Oranje Nassau, but because i enjoyed the previous topics they covered, i gave it a shot.

The 1st (if i didn't miss one) episode focused on Willem van Oranje (and in lesser part his wives), the 2nd on the next generation, in particular the 'discussion' of Willem's heritage, how his adult children dealt with it. Also ofcourse the situation with the oldest son being abducted to Spain and only returning years later, when the NL had almost forgotten about him.
For Anna van Saksen, i liked how they pictured her not just as a 'hysterical woman' (which was the impression i got from some previous shows).

What i particularly like is that they don't use 'famous' actors, it's not a 'star-vehicle' in any way. Also that the persons talk the language as they did back then, the germans speaking german, and the dutch court french was used etc.
Although i basically know the story from history books, details like tha give it a little bit of extra 'authenticity' (but i'm no scholar on the matter, so don't know if there are other points of view as well..)

i would recommend it if you like a down to earth approach to the story, and am looking forward to the next episode :flowers:

I watched the first two episodes. I didn't dislike it and I even learned something new. I didn't know the first Dutch marriage of the Nassau's, of count Engelbrecht with the wealthy Johanna of Polanen was due to the great debts of the Nassau's with the wealthy but less prestigious Polanen family. And I had not remembered the discord within the family about Willem the Silents inheritance either.

Initially I thought it would be irritating to have the narrator Daan Schuurmans walking around the various scenes but somehow it doesn't disturb and one could argue it even adds.

Like Lee-Z I found the focus interesting. Indeed much on Anna of Saxony -it makes a good plot of course- and so much about the other wives. And indeed quite some focus on the eldest son, Filips Willem. Historically irrelevant but again a good story.

The commentators are very good and informed. Historians, biographers etc.

The next episode will be about Frederik Hendrik, Amalia and the many daughters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom