The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Majesty

"Secrets of Althorp – The Spencers" - PBS Programme July 2013

SECRETS OF ALTHORP – THE SPENCERS:

"Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer, takes viewers on a personal tour around the noble manor that is his family’s home, Althorp House, the childhood home and final resting place of Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales. Nineteen generations of Spencers have presided over this grand estate for more than 500 years and produced politicians, military heroes, dukes and duchesses. One day it may also furnish Britain with a king: Diana’s son, Prince William."

Sunday, July 7, 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET

PBS Announces Summer Season of Captivating Programming : PBS

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Commoner

To witness the history of Althorp, I believe I'll watch it. Thanks Dman for the information

Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks for the info Dman! I'll definitely try to remember its on in July and catch it on PBS. There's just something about them "piles" that are so appealing and the Spencer one is so rich in its history.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Majesty

I can't tell you how excited I was when I came across this programme info. I watch PBS docs and specials all the time and royal and aristocratic shows really catch my eye. I have always been interested in Althorp and I'm glad Earl Spencer is giving us a look into this beautiful estate. I'm going to remind myself to watch and record this.

"Secrets of Chatsworth" will be on July 14th 8-9pm.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

Yippee! So glad it's on PBS. So many things that are posted that I really want to see aren't broadcast in the US. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Serene Highness

Will be an interesting program to watch.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes! Cant wait. I love all of these Noble House PBS type of documentaries. I can't remember in what thread it was, but somebody referred to Althorp as 'Just another not so special house' (paraphrasing here, cant remember the details) and I was thinking to myself OK...
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Majesty

Videos:
Secrets of Althorp: The Spencers - Preview
Video: Secrets of Althorp: The Spencers - Preview | Watch PBS Online | PBS Video

Premieres on Sunday, July 7th 8:00 p.m. ET/PT

Secrets of Chatsworth - Preview
Video: Secrets of Chatsworth - Preview | Watch PBS Online | PBS Video

Premieres Sunday, July 14th 8:00 p.m. ET/PT

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for all the info, Dman. And as an aside, I just LOVE the "Secrets of the Dead" series that I'll have to catch as well.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

*does happy dance* These would be PERFECT bits of news... cept that Charles will be touring us through althorp... ugh. I'm not a big fan of his... but I do look forward to the glimpses inside Diana's former home :)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Majesty

Video: Full Program
Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers:
Althorp, childhood home and final resting place of Princess Diana, is currently the home of Diana’s brother, Charles, the 9th Earl Spencer. Nineteen generations of Spencers have presided over this grand estate for more than 500 years. The Spencer dynasty has produced politicians, military heroes, dukes and duchesses and will one day furnish Britain with a king: Diana’s son, Prince William-
Video: Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers | Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online | PBS Video

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I watched the programme yesterday. The Althorpe estate is impressive. It is great that there is a huge herd of black deer in the estate. The current Earl of Spencer seems to be easy-going and have a critical opinion about his illustrious ancestors.
As far as I understood, the estate was saved from going to some heritage foundation because of the leaky roof. However, it remained unclear how the family improved its fortune and restored the house to its former glory.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Majesty

Its is a very beautiful estate and I can imagine Diana and her brother and sisters playing around Althorp. I like these kind of estates because I think they are kid friendly and their imaginations can run wild in places like that.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

What a magnificent estate and grounds, yet cozy and intimate in so many parts. I don't think I'd ever want to leave the premises! The history was enthralling and I was intrigued that George Washington's relatives lived not too many miles away from the Spencers.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

I missed it, hoping they re-run!

LaRae
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Courtier

It was for the American market. Didn't like the GW angle. It sounded as if the Spencers took advantage of the Washingtons and when they fell on hard times the Spencers used them as servants and took their belongings.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
It was for the American market. Didn't like the GW angle. It sounded as if the Spencers took advantage of the Washingtons and when they fell on hard times the Spencers used them as servants and took their belongings.
Yes, I agree, it was for the American market. There was quite a bit of time spent on George Washington, but I viewed it as a bit patronizing/condescending.

But, it's still a lovely place and rich with history.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I missed it, hoping they re-run!

LaRae
It's re- airing July 13 and 14th ... Chk your PBS listings. It's at 2pm and 8pm in Los Angeles.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Serene Highness

Great, thanks!

LaRae
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Majesty

I truly enjoyed the program and I really like that Earl Spencer devotes a great deal of time and energy to running the massive and impressive estate. He reminds me a lot of William in away.

I really liked the intimate lighting in the Saloon, bedrooms and throughout rest of the house. It seems like a very comfortable and peaceful place.

Dr. Maya Angelou