The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Royalty of France: movies, DVDs, documentaries

At 02 February 2010 zdfneo is broadcasting a documentary about the castle of Versailles. Its called: Mein Lieblingsplatz, das Schloss von Versailles (my favourite place - the castle of Versailles). Time: 08:45 - 09:00 (German Time).

ZDFneo - ZDF.de

Sorry, but my translator was not able to translate!

Also will it be broadcasted at the following day from 05:40 - 06:00.

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Commoner

The Accursed Kings

That's its English title. Known by its French title of "Les Rois Maudits"

French tele-movie (over 5 parts) based on the lives of King Philip IV of France and his sons from the curse uttered by Jaques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templar as he burned to the end of the Capet line and the beginnings of the House of Valois.

Based on the (7) books by Maurice Druon:
I. Le Roi de fer (The Iron King)
II. La Reine étranglée (The Strangled Queen)
III. Les Poisons de la couronne (The Poisons of the Crown)
IV. La Loi des mâles (The Royal Succession)
V. La Louve de France (The She-Wolf of France)
VI. Le Lis et le Lion (The Lily and the Lion)
VII. Quand un Roi perd la France (When a King Loses France)

Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Les adieux à la reine (Farewell, My Queen) 2011

Farewell, My Queen (2011) - IMDb

Diane Kruger reigns supreme as French queen Marie Antoinette | Mail Online
Quote:
Set in Versailles in July 1789, the script provides an inside look of the palace and Marie Antoinette's relationship with her entourage as the French Revolution rapidly approaches.
One lady-in-waiting in particular, Sidonie Laborde, supposedly became quite intimate with the queen.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM

As much as I would like to see this, I can't help but think - "Another Marie Antoinette movie?"

But hey, I hope its better than the one with Kirsten Dunst. That movie had beautiful costumes but poor storyline.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Marie-Antoinette" with Kirsten Dunst was a nice costumed parody of the epoch with nearly happy ending,it's interesting if this movie will expose the last tragical days or weeks of the Queen.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

"Farewell, My Queen" - a French drama about Marie Antoinette

'Farewell, My Queen' is exquisite account of life at Versailles on eve of revolution Passionate entanglements in 'Farewell, My Queen'
Quote:
"Farewell, My Queen" offers an intoxicating opportunity to eavesdrop on history, to be a fly on the wall at the great palace at Versailles as an old order starts its slow-motion collapse into the dustbin of history. As directed by France'sveteran Benoît Jacquot, "Farewell, My Queen" has a potent emotional component as well, involving the tangled emotional lives of three beautiful women: Marie Antoinette (Diane Kruger), the queen in question; Sidonie Laborde (Léa Seydoux), the monarch's worshipful young servant; and Gabrielle de Polignac (Virginie Ledoyen), the queen's special favorite.
Wikipedia's article on the film.

I've heard some magnificent reviews on the film from my French friends and hope to watch it myself in a couple of days, when it finally arrives to our cinemas.
Then again, Benoit Jacquot is a very good director and the cast is perfect, so I expected nothing less.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
'Farewell, My Queen' is exquisite account of life at Versailles on eve of revolution Passionate entanglements in 'Farewell, My Queen'
Wikipedia's article on the film.

I've heard some magnificent reviews on the film from my French friends and hope to watch it myself in a couple of days, when it finally arrives to our cinemas.
Then again, Benoit Jacquot is a very good director and the cast is perfect, so I expected nothing less.

Here's a clip that I found,it looks quite good!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's an old movie titled Diane, about Diane De Poitiers, the long-time mistress of Henri II.

Anyone ever see it?
It stars Lana Turner and Roger Moore.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There's an old movie titled Diane, about Diane De Poitiers, the long-time mistress of Henri II.

Anyone ever see it?
Haven't seen it in years but I think this is it?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine de Médicis and her son,Henri Duc d'Anjou (later Henri III) pop up from time to time in the lavish 2011 French movie 'The Princess of Montpensier' set in France during the last years of the reign of Charles IX of France.

The Duc de Guise,Cardinal de Guise,Duc de Montpensier also have ample onscreen time.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post

Anyone ever see it?
I saw "Diane" on TV many, many years ago. I loved it. I have been trying to get hold of a copy on DVD or VHS for ages but it is currently unavailable.

A couple of months ago I visited The Museum of Style Icons in Newbridge, County Kildare, Ireland. Among the hundreds of theatrical / movie costumes on display was a beautiful navy velvet dress and skull cap (with beads / pearls) which Lana Turner wore when she portrayed "Diane".
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
I saw "Diane" on TV many, many years ago. I loved it. I have been trying to get hold of a copy on DVD or VHS for ages but it is currently unavailable.
Yes I've noticed that too Breffney Girl,its a pity but maybe it will be re-released on dvd soon?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Yes I've noticed that too Breffney Girl,its a pity but maybe it will be re-released on dvd soon?
I really hope so, An Ard Ri. I have been checking Amazon regularly for the past 3 years but to no avail.

The film isn't that old having been made in 1956. When you consider that loads of movies from the 1930's and 1940's are easily available on DVD it makes it all the more frustrating.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I really hope so, An Ard Ri. I have been checking Amazon regularly for the past 3 years but to no avail.

The film isn't that old having been made in 1956. When you consider that loads of movies from the 1930's and 1940's are easily available on DVD it makes it all the more frustrating.
Maybe we could email the distributors and see if a release is planned,its odd that it hasn't,maybe there's not the demand?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Maybe we could email the distributors and see if a release is planned,its odd that it hasn't,maybe there's not the demand?
It is odd given Lana Turner's high profile as an actress in the 1950's.

BUT, would you believe it, An Ard Ri ....... ?

Look what I just found on Amazon .com

Amazon.com: Diane [VHS]: Lana Turner, Pedro Armendáriz, Roger Moore, Marisa Pavan, Cedric Hardwicke, Torin Thatcher, Taina Elg, John Lupton, Henry Daniell, Ronald Green, Sean McClory, Geoffrey Toone, Robert H. Planck, David Miller, John McSweeney Jr.

Normally, I would be jumping for joy as I still have and frequently use my video recorder but, because the source is Amazon.com and not Amazon.co.uk , I'm very much afraid that the video format, NTSC , won't play on European video recorders. ??

Also, would you look at the price for those that are supplied to international buyers. ? Scandalous !!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It is odd given Lana Turner's high profile as an actress in the 1950's.

BUT, would you believe it, An Ard Ri ....... ?

Look what I just found on Amazon .com

Amazon.com: Diane [VHS]: Lana Turner, Pedro Armendáriz, Roger Moore, Marisa Pavan, Cedric Hardwicke, Torin Thatcher, Taina Elg, John Lupton, Henry Daniell, Ronald Green, Sean McClory, Geoffrey Toone, Robert H. Planck, David Miller, John McSweeney Jr.

Normally, I would be jumping for joy as I still have and frequently use my video recorder but, because the source is Amazon.com and not Amazon.co.uk , I'm very much afraid that the video format, NTSC , won't play on European video recorders. ??

Also, would you look at the price for those that are supplied to international buyers. ? Scandalous !!
$97.00 is a crazy price,I simply wouldn't pay,it could still be released on dvd in the future and I'd be happy to wait
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
$97.00 is a crazy price,I simply wouldn't pay,it could still be released on dvd in the future and I'd be happy to wait
I'll be waiting with you. !!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
$97.00 for a DVD?

I very much doubt it's made of solid gold, so why make the price so high?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
$97.00 for a DVD?

I very much doubt it's made of solid gold, so why make the price so high?
I know its an outrageous price,and its on a vhs video,not even a dvd!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I wonder how much it would cost if it was a DVD...