Royalty of France: movies, DVDs, documentaries

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
At 02 February 2010 zdfneo is broadcasting a documentary about the castle of Versailles. Its called: Mein Lieblingsplatz, das Schloss von Versailles (my favourite place - the castle of Versailles). Time: 08:45 - 09:00 (German Time).

ZDFneo - ZDF.de

Sorry, but my translator was not able to translate!

Also will it be broadcasted at the following day from 05:40 - 06:00.

The Accursed Kings

That's its English title. Known by its French title of "Les Rois Maudits"

French tele-movie (over 5 parts) based on the lives of King Philip IV of France and his sons from the curse uttered by Jaques de Molay, Grand Master of the Knights Templar as he burned to the end of the Capet line and the beginnings of the House of Valois.

Based on the (7) books by Maurice Druon:
I. Le Roi de fer (The Iron King)
II. La Reine étranglée (The Strangled Queen)
III. Les Poisons de la couronne (The Poisons of the Crown)
IV. La Loi des mâles (The Royal Succession)
V. La Louve de France (The She-Wolf of France)
VI. Le Lis et le Lion (The Lily and the Lion)
VII. Quand un Roi perd la France (When a King Loses France)

Last edited:
As much as I would like to see this, I can't help but think - "Another Marie Antoinette movie?"

But hey, I hope its better than the one with Kirsten Dunst. That movie had beautiful costumes but poor storyline.

"Marie-Antoinette" with Kirsten Dunst was a nice costumed parody of the epoch with nearly happy ending,it's interesting if this movie will expose the last tragical days or weeks of the Queen.

"Farewell, My Queen" - a French drama about Marie Antoinette

'Farewell, My Queen' is exquisite account of life at Versailles on eve of revolution Passionate entanglements in 'Farewell, My Queen'
"Farewell, My Queen" offers an intoxicating opportunity to eavesdrop on history, to be a fly on the wall at the great palace at Versailles as an old order starts its slow-motion collapse into the dustbin of history. As directed by France'sveteran Benoît Jacquot, "Farewell, My Queen" has a potent emotional component as well, involving the tangled emotional lives of three beautiful women: Marie Antoinette (Diane Kruger), the queen in question; Sidonie Laborde (Léa Seydoux), the monarch's worshipful young servant; and Gabrielle de Polignac (Virginie Ledoyen), the queen's special favorite.
Wikipedia's article on the film.

I've heard some magnificent reviews on the film from my French friends and hope to watch it myself in a couple of days, when it finally arrives to our cinemas.
Then again, Benoit Jacquot is a very good director and the cast is perfect, so I expected nothing less.

'Farewell, My Queen' is exquisite account of life at Versailles on eve of revolution Passionate entanglements in 'Farewell, My Queen'
Wikipedia's article on the film.

I've heard some magnificent reviews on the film from my French friends and hope to watch it myself in a couple of days, when it finally arrives to our cinemas.
Then again, Benoit Jacquot is a very good director and the cast is perfect, so I expected nothing less.

Here's a clip that I found,it looks quite good!

Farewell, My Queen Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Lea Seydoux, Diane Kruger Movie HD - YouTube

There's an old movie titled Diane, about Diane De Poitiers, the long-time mistress of Henri II.

Anyone ever see it?
It stars Lana Turner and Roger Moore.

Catherine de Médicis and her son,Henri Duc d'Anjou (later Henri III) pop up from time to time in the lavish 2011 French movie 'The Princess of Montpensier' set in France during the last years of the reign of Charles IX of France.

The Duc de Guise,Cardinal de Guise,Duc de Montpensier also have ample onscreen time.

Princess of Montpensier - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

There's an old movie titled Diane, about Diane De Poitiers, the long-time mistress of Henri II.

Anyone ever see it?
It stars Lana Turner and Roger Moore.

I saw "Diane" on TV many, many years ago. I loved it. I have been trying to get hold of a copy on DVD or VHS for ages but it is currently unavailable.

A couple of months ago I visited The Museum of Style Icons in Newbridge, County Kildare, Ireland. Among the hundreds of theatrical / movie costumes on display was a beautiful navy velvet dress and skull cap (with beads / pearls) which Lana Turner wore when she portrayed "Diane".

I saw "Diane" on TV many, many years ago. I loved it. I have been trying to get hold of a copy on DVD or VHS for ages but it is currently unavailable.

Yes I've noticed that too Breffney Girl,its a pity but maybe it will be re-released on dvd soon?

Yes I've noticed that too Breffney Girl,its a pity but maybe it will be re-released on dvd soon?

I really hope so, An Ard Ri. I have been checking Amazon regularly for the past 3 years but to no avail.

The film isn't that old having been made in 1956. When you consider that loads of movies from the 1930's and 1940's are easily available on DVD it makes it all the more frustrating. :sad:

I really hope so, An Ard Ri. I have been checking Amazon regularly for the past 3 years but to no avail.

The film isn't that old having been made in 1956. When you consider that loads of movies from the 1930's and 1940's are easily available on DVD it makes it all the more frustrating. :sad:

Maybe we could email the distributors and see if a release is planned,its odd that it hasn't,maybe there's not the demand?

Maybe we could email the distributors and see if a release is planned,its odd that it hasn't,maybe there's not the demand?

It is odd given Lana Turner's high profile as an actress in the 1950's.

BUT, would you believe it, An Ard Ri ....... ?

Look what I just found on Amazon .com

Amazon.com: Diane [VHS]: Lana Turner, Pedro Armendáriz, Roger Moore, Marisa Pavan, Cedric Hardwicke, Torin Thatcher, Taina Elg, John Lupton, Henry Daniell, Ronald Green, Sean McClory, Geoffrey Toone, Robert H. Planck, David Miller, John McSweeney Jr.

Normally, I would be jumping for joy as I still have and frequently use my video recorder but, because the source is Amazon.com and not Amazon.co.uk , I'm very much afraid that the video format, NTSC , won't play on European video recorders. ??

Also, would you look at the price for those that are supplied to international buyers. ? Scandalous !! :eek:

Last edited:
It is odd given Lana Turner's high profile as an actress in the 1950's.

BUT, would you believe it, An Ard Ri ....... ?

Look what I just found on Amazon .com

Amazon.com: Diane [VHS]: Lana Turner, Pedro Armendáriz, Roger Moore, Marisa Pavan, Cedric Hardwicke, Torin Thatcher, Taina Elg, John Lupton, Henry Daniell, Ronald Green, Sean McClory, Geoffrey Toone, Robert H. Planck, David Miller, John McSweeney Jr.

Normally, I would be jumping for joy as I still have and frequently use my video recorder but, because the source is Amazon.com and not Amazon.co.uk , I'm very much afraid that the video format, NTSC , won't play on European video recorders. ??

Also, would you look at the price for those that are supplied to international buyers. ? Scandalous !! :eek:

$97.00 is a crazy price,I simply wouldn't pay,it could still be released on dvd in the future and I'd be happy to wait :D

$97.00 is a crazy price,I simply wouldn't pay,it could still be released on dvd in the future and I'd be happy to wait :D

$97.00 for a DVD? :ohmy:

I very much doubt it's made of solid gold, so why make the price so high? :lol:

:previous: I wonder how much it would cost if it was a DVD...

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a DVD version were cheaper.

I frequently buy old films from Amazon in both video and DVD format. I often see video versions much dearer than the newly produced DVD. I guess it might have something to do with the video being the original copy of the film (apart from the screen version) and hence being all that more rare. ?

What does amaze me though is the blatant cheek of some sellers who look for astronomical prices for their goods. One seller can request, say, 20 Euro for an item while another will look for double that amount or more for the same item. :bang:

I think it will be cheaper if it's a DVD, too. Maybe you can only buy the film in France, so shipping bills might be why the video's price is so high (if its being sold around the world).

Also, I remember watching a documentary drama a couple of years ago about Louis XVI, Marie- Antoinette and the court of Versailles. I found it very interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story 1987

:rose2::rose:Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story is a 1987 television mini-series. Armand Assante starred as Napoleon Bonaparte. Jacqueline Bisset starred as Josephine de Beauharnais.

I remember seeing it on tv as a child. It and the book "Desirée" by Anne-Marie Selinko which I found at my grandparents summer house about the same time sparked my interest in the Age of Napoleon, the Bernadottes, royalty in general and well... here I am at The royal forums many years later

Were any movies made about King Louis XIV?

I watched this film a few nights ago.

It is on SBS Catch Up TV - for free - until the end of February next year, 2016, if you are in Australia.

It was filmed at Versailles and is both sumptuously beautiful and totally engrossing.

It covers three days as word reaches the court of trouble stirring in Paris, and is told from the viewpoint of a young woman who works as Marie-Antoinette's reader.

Most of the cast are female, and all give wonderful performances.

It truly gives a sense of the confusion, and incomplete understanding of what was happening as the Revolution was about to begin, by those about to be engulfed by it.

I fell in love with Diane Kruger as the doomed queen.

I'll be watching it again. I thoroughly recommend it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom