Royalty (Fictional and Real) In Fictional Movies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
I found two pictures of Audrey Hepburn film Roman Holiday for which she won the New York Film Critics Award for the best performance of an actress in 1953
Have you seen this movie?

this is what i found about the movie

Princess Anne is touring Rome, and decides to get 'out and about' away from her normal life. She meets with an American reporter and his photographer, who show her the sites. The reporter is initially more interested in a story than the Princess, but begins to fall for Her Highness...

Memorable Quotes from
Roman Holiday (1953)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[On whether to do an exploitation article about Princess Ann.]
Irving Radovich: She's fair game, Joe. It's always open season on princesses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Princess Ann: I hate this nightgown. I hate all my nightgowns, and I hate all my underwear too.
Countess: My dear, you have lovely things.
Princess Ann: But I'm not two hundred years old. Why can't I sleep in pajamas?
Countess: Pajamas!?
Princess Ann: Just the top part. Did you know that there are people who sleep with absolutely nothing on at all?
Countess: I rejoice to say I do not.

Princess Ann: Do you have a silk nightgown with rosebuds?
Joe Bradley: I haven't worn a nightgown in years!

Princess Ann: I've never been alone with a man before, even with my dress on. With my dress off, it's MOST unusual.

Princess Ann: Is this the elevator?
Joe Bradley: This is my ROOM!

Reporter: And what, in the opinion of Your Highness, is the outlook for friendship among nations?
Princess Ann: I have every faith in it... as I have faith in relations between people.
Joe Bradley: May I say, speaking for my own... press service: we believe Your Highness's faith will not be unjustified.
Princess Ann: I am so glad to hear you say it.
Another reporter: Which of the cities visited did Your Highness enjoy the most?
General Provno: [prompting] Each, in its own way...
Princess Ann: Each, in its own way, was unforgettable. It would be difficult to-- Rome! By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live.

[The Duchess mentions Princess Ann's duty]
Princess Ann: Please do not use that word. Were I not entirely aware of my duty to my family and to my country, I would not have come back tonight... or indeed ever again!

[in a taxi in Rome; Princess Ann is drunk]
Joe Bradley: Where do you live?
Princess Ann: [mumbles drunkenly] .... Colosseum....
Joe Bradley: [to taxi driver] She lives in the Colosseum.
Cab Driver: Is wrong address!

Mr. Hennessey: In view of the fact that our Highness was taken violently ill at three o'clock this morning, put to bed with a high fever, and has ordered all her appointments for the day cancelled in toto...
Joe Bradley: That's certainly pretty hard to swallow.
Mr. Hennessey: In view of the fact that you just left her, of course.

Joe Bradley: How much would a real interview with this dame be worth?
Mr. Hennessey: Are you referring to Her Highness?
Joe Bradley: I'm not referring to Annie Oakley, Dorothy Lamour, or Madame ... How much?
Mr. Hennessey: What do you care? You've got about as much chance...
Joe Bradley: I know, but if I did? How much would it be worth?
Mr. Hennessey: Oh, just a plain talk on world issues, it would probably be worth two hundred and fifty. Her views on clothes, of course, would be worth a lot more, maybe a thousand...dollars.
Joe Bradley: I'm talking about her views on everything!...The private and secret longings of a Princess. Her innermost thoughts as revealed to your own correspondent in a private, personal, exclusive interview. (His boss' mouth drops, awe-struck by the thought) Can't use it, huh? I didn't think you'd like it.
Mr. Hennessey: Come here! Love angle too, I suppose.
Joe Bradley: Practically all love angle.
Mr. Hennessey: With pictures.
Joe Bradley: Could be. How much?
Mr. Hennessey: That particular story will be worth five grand to any news service....
Joe Bradley: ...You said five grand? I want you to shake on that.

Princess Ann: I could do some of the things I've always wanted to.
Joe Bradley: Like what?
Princess Ann: Oh, you can't imagine. I-I'd do just whatever I liked all day long.

Joe Bradley: Tell you what. Why don't we do all those things, together?
Princess Ann: But don't you have to work?
Joe Bradley: Work? No. Today's gonna be a holiday.
Princess Ann: But you want to do a lot of silly things?
Joe Bradley: (He takes her hand) ...First wish? One sidewalk cafe, comin' right up. I know just the place. Rocca's.

Princess Ann: I have to leave you now. I'm going to that corner there and turn. You must stay in the car and drive away. Promise not to watch me go beyond the corner. Just drive away and leave me as I leave you.
Joe Bradley: All right.
Princess Ann: I don't know how to say goodbye. I can't think of any words.
Joe Bradley: Don't try. (They sadly hug and kiss each other for the last time)

Princess Ann: At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper.
Joe Bradley: And that will be the end of the fairy tale.

Princess Ann: Have I been here all night, alone?
Joe Bradley: If you don't count me, yes.
Princess Ann: So I've spent the night here - with you?
Joe Bradley: Well now, I-I don't know that I'd use those words exactly, but uh, from a certain angle, yes.
Princess Ann: [beaming with a smile] How do you do?
Joe Bradley: How do you do?
Princess Ann: And you are - ?
Joe Bradley: Bradley, Joe Bradley.
Princess Ann: Delighted.
Joe Bradley: You don't know how delighted I am to meet you.
Princess Ann: You may sit down.
Joe Bradley: (sitting on the bed) Thank you very much. What's your name?
Princess Ann: You may call me Anya

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are all lovely photographs and great movies. I was just wondering if any of you have ever read the book by the lady who thought she was Anastasia. It was quite intersting. I found it by accident when I was going through my infautation with the last Tsar. It is intersting and almost makes you believe that she really was Anastasia. I can't remember what it was called, but it is an older book. See if you can find it. Does anybody else ahve an interst in the Old russian royalty? :rolleyes: :lol: B) :grrr:

Hello, everyone. These photos were marvelous. "Roman Holiday", "Anastasia" and "The Swan" are certainly favorites. I loved Shirley Temple in "A Little Princess" and I enjoyed the remake that was on PBS some years ago (not the one in which Sarah became an American girl) very much too. I also enjoy rereading the novel of "A Little Princess" as well.

Many thanks for posting these wonderful pictures!!!! :heart: :lucky: :happy:

Have you seen "Princess Diary"?, if you have what did you think about it?

I've seen it and I really didn't like it. The girl was extremely dense. Any normal person would be able to control themselves in most of those situations even if they were a commoner. You can put on a pair of pantyhose without falling all over the seat. If I were her I would try my best to fit into my role. I would throw myself into it and learn the ropes. I wish I could see a video after she is queen and where the company would study up a little more on how a monarchy actually works. The queen would not show up at the school to pull her out. Her aids would. The queen would have way more bodyguards than that woman did. They made the queen and the princess both have only one bodyguard together! :angry: I know better than that and I'm not even royal! Also, I don't think it's normal for an illegitiment child to be accepted into the family. Look at Princess Stephanie or King Albert of Belgium. Their illegitiment children aren't in line to the throne. If it was real life she wouldn't have even been considered. My sister read the books and said that they are better.

The princess diaries was a cute fairy tale. Yes the girl was dense as hell she couldn't even cross her ankles while sitting down. And the other people were grossly unreal. But she wasn't legitmimate(spelled wrong) her parents were married, but they got divorced so the dad could go back and prepare to run his country and the mother wanted to stay in San Fransico. It is a good movie for kids though, good and clean. :D

I loved Hepburn in "Roman Holiday" the remake made in the mid/late ?80's with Catherine Oxenberg was HORRIBLE ![:devil:]absolute garbage ! I borrowed the "Princess Diaries" from the granduaghter of a family friend, It's not any better but diffrent from
the movie version even more of a nitwit kid[:x]Elizabeth who's 12 said " I woundn't have written such a cheapo book it really dumbs down girls that are just hitting puberty ! [:eek:] guess you can figure out that she hated the book & movie too!
Robb [:neutral:]

from Princess Diaries

One more

Just oe more pic from this movie, the girl plays a 16 year old princess i think, but i have never seen a princess have a tiara before she is 18. Victoria and Madeleine did not have a tiara before they eas 18.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,966
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,330
Gloria Swanson, as Princess Marie, wears a wedding gown with a vast train, in the film Her Love Story.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 894
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 674
Source: Comingsoon.net

Angelina Jolie is in talks to play Catherine the Great in "Love and Honor," the historical epic that Randall Wallace wrote and will direct for Disney.
Wallace has been working on the tale for years and negotiated a greenlit movie, as well as a pact for a novel with Hyperion Books, in a deal orchestrated by Disney's Dick Cook and Nina Jacobson. As the script made the rounds, the Catherine role became one of the more coveted jobs for A-list actresses.

Wallace, who has used history to fuel drama in his scripts "Braveheart," "Pearl Harbor" and "We Were Soldiers," takes one of the most charismatic 18th-century leaders as the centerpiece for his tale about the American Revolution.

www.imdb.com

Catherine Zeta-Jones, before she became internationally famous, plays "Catherine the Great" in this 1995 film billed as an "A&E Original."

The film begins in 1745 Russia where, at the age of 15, Catherine was plucked from the Prussian (German) backwater to be wed to Grand Duke Peter, 17, the presumed heir to the throne. Her job was simple - to provide Peter with a son and eventual heir. Problem was, after 7 years Peter and Catherine had not consumated their marriage, and Peter seemed completely indifferent to his wife, but flirted with other ladies. Ultimately the empress orders a virile young courter to seduce Catherine and impregnate her, then Peter starts sleeping with her to make it seem the baby is theirs. In a scene to establish Catherine's true role, the newborn baby boy is taken away without the mother even seeing it.

In 1757, at war with the Prussians, Catherine is persuaded to send a letter of support to the troops, but the letter is intercepted and the empress confronts her. Catherine asks the queen to send her back to Prussia, the empress says "no", then asks, "After I'm dead, will you seek power?" Catherine pauses only a couple of seconds and says, sternly, "Yes!" At a friend's suggestion that she and Peter could share power, she replies, "He loathes the sight of me", and she decides the only solution is to gain sole power.

In close anticipation of death of the empress, politically-smart Catherine seduces a high-ranking general to gain military support for her. When the empress dies, Peter is proclaimed "Czar Peter III", and Catherine, his wife, isn't even allowed to speak to him. She is sent in seclusion to Peterhof. His reign lasts all of 6 months, when all military leaders in turn swear their allegiance to Catherine, then she is declared "Empress Catherine II" by the clergy and seizes the throne in 1762. Her stated mission was to "drag Russia out of her mideival stupor, into the modern world, and free 10 million serfs." In a word, a revolution. Peter was put out of his misery.

The film continues with some account of the fighting with the Turks, her difficulty establishing a love relationship with the man she adored. History established that she became a "conscientious ruler", building schools and hospitals, promoting modern ideas, and attracted scholars from other countries. However, she did not follow her intent to free the serfs and instead promoted the interests of the upper classes. She died in 1796 at the age of 67.

The film gives a great historical glimpse of an important chapter in Russian history, the coming to power of Catherine the Great, but I can only rate it "7" of 10. It is not as "engaging" as other great "historical" films I have seen recently, like "Longitude" and "Amistad", just to name two. Still, it is a very worthy film and Zeta-Jones becomes Catherine. In addition to Zeta-Jones, John Rhys-Davies is great as the scruffy revolutionary that eventually was beheaded. He played the loyal "sidekick" in "Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark."

http://images.amazon.com

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 801
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 654
Hey guys!

How could you forget Romy Schneider as 'Sissi' ????

:D

I was dragged by my younger sisters to see the very American movie, What a girl wants. I believe they try to show us Prince William, Prince Harry and Prince Charles... One film I viewed more like a parody than a film made in real earnest. As I did with Princess Diaries.

Or how about King Ralph (I haven't seen it, but my sister said it was laughable, as anybody could have told Hollywood that Finland isn't a monarchy.)

I haven't got any pictures, though.

(I loved Roman Holiday... One of Hepburn's finest.)

To whomever commented that illegitimate childrens couldn't inherit the throne (even if Mia from Princess Diaries was born within marriage): The country of Genovia is obviously based on Monaco, where one of the previous rulers (sorry, can't remember which one) was without a legitimate heir, and was therefore allowed to adopt his illegitimate daughter, to make her legitimate. As it is her today's family descends from, I would say that it's very much possible. It's just not common, as most of the royals are married, and/or have brothers and sisters with children. (Sorry if I'm not expressing myself very clearly, but it's late and I ought to be asleep... :rolleyes: )

Hey guys!
How could you forget Romy Schneider as 'Sissi' ????

Attachments

• Sissi.JPG
    Sissi.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,415
  • Sissi.JPG
    Sissi.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 656
  • Sissi.JPG
    Sissi.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 5,076
  • Sissi.JPG
    Sissi.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 738
  • Sissi1.JPG
    Sissi1.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 645
  • Sissi1.JPG
    Sissi1.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 585
  • Sissi3.JPG
    Sissi3.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 570
  • Sissi2.JPG
    Sissi2.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 664
  • Sissi.JPG
    Sissi.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 475
this was a german movie/series
is it based on real life?

xicamaluca
do you know of any movies that are about spanish royals....

This pics are from the Sissi movies triology (the movies are a quite romanticised bio of the Empress Elizabeth of Austro-Hungary ;) ) with Romy Schneider. The 1st movie was made in 1955, the 2nd in 1956 and the 3rd in 1957 (i belive that the movies were directed by Ernst Marischka).

About the spanish royals, i belive that there is some movie about 1 or 2 spanish kings, but i don't know for sure :p

I think the film will be released in March. It was good to see old photos of Romy. She made a memorable "appearance" in the film 8 Femmes. One of the best.

I went to see a movie last nite and one of the movie previews they showed was Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement. The trailer was really good and I can't wait to go see it. When I saw the first one I didn't know a lot about royalty so I didn't noticed any of the mistakes they made. However, despite this I think the sequel will be really cute. Here's the offical movie website: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/diaries2/home.html

What about the movie Troy? The movie has a lot of royalty. There's King Priam, Princes Hector and Paris on the Trojan side. Then there's King(s) Agamenon, Menalus, and Odyseius on the Greek side.

I found two pictures of Audrey Hepburn film Roman Holiday for which she won the New York Film Critics Award for the best performance of an actress in 1953
Have you seen this movie?

Just found out that Audrey Hepburn has some blue blood!, she is a daughter of an wealthy English banker and a Dutch baroness, a baroness Van Heemstra.

And some info about the movie the movie The prince and Me.
The woman who came with the idea to make this movie, sat on the same school with the prince of Orange. The Prince of Orange sat on a school in Wales for a couple of years, because he had some trouble :wacko: with his parents or something like that.

The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 610
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 680
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 572
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 544
Trivia for
The Princess Diaries, (2001)

Mia's dress from the dinner party (the purple one) is a copy of the dress that Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden wore to the Nobel Prize gala in 1997.

Attachments

• Princess Diary Part 2005.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2005.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Princess Diary Part 2016.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2016.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Princess Diary Part 2014.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2014.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 274
The Princess Diaries photos

the queens tiara looks like victorias first tiara

Attachments

• Princess Diary Part 2631.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2631.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 505
  • Princess Diary Part 2625.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2625.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Princess Diary Part 2605.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2605.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 503
  • Princess Diary Part 2051.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2051.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 500
  • Princess Diary Part 2630.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2630.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Princess Diary Part 2670.jpg
    Princess Diary Part 2670.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 259
xicamaluca said:
Here it is, Romy Schneider as "Sissi", Empress of Austria
I hadn't seen this thread before but I'm glad I did. I found this photo a while ago and I didn't know what movie it was from, or who it was, but it intrigued me. I looked everywhere trying to find out, asked everyone I knew, but still no luck. From looking at the photos you posted, I now have the answer. Thank you so much. I can stop going crazy now. :p

Here's the photo:

Attachments

• Sissi.jpg
    Sissi.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 280
Is this dress, just the top.

The wedding dress is very look alike with Princess Claire.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 296
Josefine said:
Trivia for
The Princess Diaries, (2001)

Mia's dress from the dinner party (the purple one) is a copy of the dress that Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden wore to the Nobel Prize gala in 1997.
Sorry i don't explain who i am helping. Is Josefine that whant a pic for comparation.
Is the wedding dress for compare to .

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 310
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 267
Princess

I was on IMDB and found this entry: It's a movie called 'Princess' and it's in pre-production. It's about an American cheerleader finding out she's an heir to the throne of a Middle Eastern country. It's being touted as an action-comedy.

Here's a brief news story about it:

Goodman in line for 'Princess'

Back
Top Bottom