The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Don't know of any Spanish ones but what about the fairytale kingdom of Euphrania? Have you ever seen the Slipper and the Rose? Very funny.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Serene Highness

Fictional Royals on TV and in films

I recently rewatched a two-part episode of Saved by the Bell, the one where Jessie tries to sabotage her father's wedding to a younger woman. Another story line involved Slater dating a Princess Christina von Hoffman and trying to impress her father, the "King of Lichtenberg." I found out that Lichtenberg is actually a borough of Berlin, but I wondered if it was supposed to be a portmanteau of Luxembourg and Lichtenstein.

It got me started thinking about fictional royals in books, movies and on TV. The most well-known are Princess Mia in The Princess Diaries books and movies Prince Frederick in the The Prince and Me.

I've read the earlier Princess Diaries books, and they're actually pretty accurate in terms of succession laws and protocol (the author seemed to models her characters and Genovia on Monaco's family). The movies, on the other hand, are completely unrealistic, especially in changing a principality into a kingdom. And since when do royals wear tiaras during day time w/ suits.

The Prince and Me uses a real kingdom as its setting but again, everything is pretty inaccurate, especially in the sequels. And the crown jewels they use are pretty pitiful and cheap looking.

Like Saved by the Bell, American TV shows like to have one episode where a character has a romantic encounter with a royal from a fictitious kingdom or Principality. I can think of a Baywatch episode where Mitch rescues Princess Catherine who is being targeted by assassins and he has to participate in a boat tournament against her royal fiance. I believe the episode is mentioned in one of the Princess Diaries books.
"Baywatch" Princess of Tides (1992) - Plot summary

Another one is from TV's Step by Step where the girls, Al, Dana and Karen, go to a ski-lodge and meet a Prince and his entourage. To make sure he is loved for himself and not his title, the Prince asks to switch roles with his bodyguard. Karen becomes upset that she bagged the "bodyguard" while Dana got the "prince". The truth is revealed at the end, to Karen's delight and Dana's (initial) disappointment.
"Step by Step" The Bodyguard Formerly Known as Prince (1996) - Plot summary

The Guiding Light, a long-running soap opera on CBS, had in the last decade a plotline set in the fictional principality of San Cristobel. They had a grand royal wedding episode with a Russian inspired wedding dress.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiding_Light_(2000-present)#Plot_development

Anyone else remember any other episodes, movies or books featuring fictional royals?

Old 12-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Aristocracy

There were two episodes of JAG featuring fictional princesses - one episode was about a Romanian princess on a tour of Washington DC with her father the King. It was a remake of 'Roman Holiday'. The other episode was about a Middle Eastern princess wanting to marry a US soldier against the wishes of her family. It was based on the 'Princess and the Marine' story, with the names changed and stuff.

Of course, we can't forget Princess Ann from 'Roman Holiday'. Or Princess Armelle from the French comedy 'Palais Royal!'

Pigeonhole THIS.com
Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Courtier

V.I.P was an American show on one espiode they had to protect a princess she fell in love with a commoner and lost her title.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 12-25-2008, 10:33 PM

Princess Gina von Amburg and Princess Greta von Amburg on "Days of our Lives" (1998-2001)

The Duke and Duchess of Whitfield (and their children) in Danielle Steel's "Jewels" (book and TV mini-series)

Countess Zoya in Danielle Steel's "Zoya" (book and TV mini-series)

Christianna, princess of Liechtenstein in Danielle Steel's "H.R.H" (book)
Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Nobility

I've seen bits and pieces of the film Zoya and I have the book H.R.H. Kind of disappointing, the latter. Especially when compared to her prior novels; they have too much detail (love scenes in particular), while H.R.H. doesn't have enough. I also saw the tv movie "The Princess and the Marine". The ending was pretty sad. They go through all that to marry and end up divorcing some two years later.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Commoner

There's Princess Buttercup from Princess Bride.
Also King Lear and his daughters Cordelia and another two.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I just rememeber King Galen of Moldavia, Prince Michael of Moldavia and Princess Amanda nee Carrington from Dynasty.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
I've seen bits and pieces of the film Zoya and I have the book H.R.H. Kind of disappointing, the latter. Especially when compared to her prior novels; they have too much detail (love scenes in particular), while H.R.H. doesn't have enough. I also saw the tv movie "The Princess and the Marine". The ending was pretty sad. They go through all that to marry and end up divorcing some two years later.

The Princess and the Marine was based on a true story. I wonder what happenned to her and if they accepted her back in her family after the divorce.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
The Princess and the Marine was based on a true story. I wonder what happenned to her and if they accepted her back in her family after the divorce.
Yes. I've watched the film some time ago.

Something here Meriam Al-Khalifa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...lifa-2784.html
Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I remember reading something about it being based on a true story, yeah. I don't know that she would've been accepted back into the family...especially since she went against them and their beliefs to marry the marine. Maybe though.

I found something:

http://www.natashatynes.com/newswire...ssmarine_.html
Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Magnik and Leslie. I remember when they were making the rounds of the TV talk shows talking about eternal love and the simple life..........I kept wondering how long it would last. She probably had not seen a broom or a dustpan until she came to the US.......and had to use them. Hope they are both happy.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Commoner

I had never heard of their story. Too bad it didn't last....
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Majesty

so here is a youtube video on the movie The Swedish Princess

and its bad. i just want to hide.......
The Swedish American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Los Angeles - Contact
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy

The video clip above has no sound.

I did some searching and found the official website: http://www.theswedishprincess.com. Click here to view the same trailer with sound.

Pigeonhole THIS.com
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Nobility

That movie clip is too funny. Who gets on a plane and doesn't know where they are going? The acting is hillarious!

Isn't the trailer supposed to be the best parts of the film?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Nobility

"Kings": NBC New Royal Drama 2008

Premiering March 15th on NBC at 8pm tells the story of a Modern day David Vs. Goliath

The series is set in the modern day metropolis of Shiloh, a city under siege where the fighting has gone on for too long and cost far too many lives. When David Shepherd (Christopher Egan) a brave young soldier, rescues the King's (Ian McShane) son from enemy territory, he sets events in motion that will finally bring peace.
Suddenly, David is thrust into the limelight, earning the affections of women, including the King's daughter. When he's promoted to captain, he becomes the reluctant poster boy for hope. But for David, the line between his allies and enemies will blur as the power players in the kingdom go to great lengths to see him fall and there's no telling who will win.

Kings TV Show | Videos, Photos, Cast Bios & Character Profiles | NBC Official Site

Sounds Watchable!!! though I dont think this show will last the Whole season.

Anybody else going to watch this show.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think it sounds pretty awful. I didn't get the parallel to King David's story in the Bible until you explained it. Probably won't watch unless it proves to be successful (okay, I learn to like shows as they age!).
Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Who can say? If the main actors are handsome, that will bring in the teen-age girls viewers!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Princess Daisy was a two part mini flim series about girl who father was a Russian princess and her mother an American commoner.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle