Royalty and Reality TV

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question- Does anyone know who won the Australian version?

MihoshiMarie said:
The Australian show comes to the US - it is called American Princess and will be on Women's Entertainment.

Click here to see the clip (requires Flash).

The premise is this: several women compete for the title of 'American Princess', just like 'Australian Princess'. There are no more details of this show.

A bit too early...

Lady Jennifer said:
Question- Does anyone know who won the Australian version?
The show is still in production so nothing has yet been broadcast.

I for one will not be watching lol. I hope the winner wont think that people have to treat her like a real princess! you know how reality contestnats get when they win the competition? they get big heads lol (well most of them)

Last edited:
iowabelle said:
I guess Letizia and Mathilde, and even CP Victoria, are going to have to put away their pants!

Yes, good point. O, what will they do? :D

I cannot believe they let Paul Burrell on the show. I'm sorry but his arrogance and attitude are unbelievable. He must remember he was nothing more than a servant to the royal family and not a royal or aristocratic himself. How flagrant of him.

You can tell the difference in class between him and that Polish/Spanish Princess who was just on this past Sunday.

So Sunday is the big finale and this girl was crowned two years ago from the U.S....

Okay...so does anyone know who the American winner is? :)

He is so cocky.....If that were a real high society dinner, his place would be behind the chair serving and not sitting at the table.

Forgive my anger, but I think he has a lot of nerve in many of his past indiscretions involving Diana.

Australian said:
You can buy titles from the internet! You dont have to go on a sill show to get one lol

LOL ;) I agree Australian, however, you're missing one big thing. You have to go on a silly show so that you can get exposure, if not internationally, at least locally ;) Otherwise having a title and not being able to show it off to the world really means nothing ;) LOL ;)

Warren said:
The show is still in production so nothing has yet been broadcast.

I did'nt think it had been aired yet. Oh well, I suppose even the disgraced & down right pathetic have to make a living...

Personally, I am not for it. Its rediculous. Why not have a TV show called "Australian Commoner".lol.

"MII"

Well fellow Australians, it appears channel 10 has lost just that bit more dignity, and is airing the first episode of 'Australian Princess', on Wednesday evening. How disappointing.

Von Schlesian said:
Well fellow Australians, it appears channel 10 has lost just that bit more dignity, and is airing the first episode of 'Australian Princess', on Wednesday evening. How disappointing.
Hmm, I didn't think Channel 10 had any dignity to start with.

The princess diaries
By Patty Huntington
September 20, 2005

australianprincess_wideweb__430x418,1.jpg

Australian Princess contestants.
Photo: NetworkTen

The reality TV show Australian Princess is shaping up as fascinating fashion viewing. Pictured above are some of the 14 women, aged 18 to 28, competing for the title and $100,000 prize package. Contestants include a cabinetmaker, race-car driver, surfer, concert pianist, lawyer and a plastic surgery receptionist with "Princess" tattooed on her back.

Hosted by Jackie O - now there's a princess - the gals are guided on their Pygmalion-style journey by the former butler to Princess Diana, Paul Burrell, British etiquette expert Jean Broke-Smith and aunty to princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Jane Ferguson, with look-ins by polo player James Ashton and London's Daily Mirror royal correspondent James Whitaker.

More: http://www.smh.com.au/news/fashion-police/the-princess-diaries/2005/09/19/1126981975198.html

Wow, Jackie O hosting this show. Now that's classy! :rolleyes:

Lady Jennifer said:
Did you like that one question that one girl had for Burrell abt the Queen having a Pig as pet??? I slapped my hand to my forehead & felt so bad for the poor girl. But I must say most of them are clueless. Of course that is just my opinion.

Well, does the Queen have a pig??

I assume you're speaking of a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig (and not a farm pig like we have in Iowa). Hmmm, it would be amusing to trade in the herd of corgis for a herd of pigs!! :)

Prince part-identified!

The winner of "Australian Princess" will be flown to London "to attend a salubrious ball in her honour accompanied by a real-life prince, Poland's Prince Marrick."

I assume Prince Marrick is from one of Poland's old Princely families. Does anyone have any idea who he is?

Australian Princess, Wednesday 5 October, 7.30pm, Network 10.

Sorry to be a pain, but where did you read that? I can't find it anywhere.

Danielle said:
Sorry to be a pain, but where did you read that? I can't find it anywhere.
You are forcing me to reveal my sources! OK: The Sunday Telegraph TV Guide 2.10.05. :)

Warren said:
You are forcing me to reveal my sources! OK: The Sunday Telegraph TV Guide 2.10.05. :)
Thank you! I know how hard it must have been telling me that info. ;) Well, about this Polish Prince; it might be hard to find information on him if, as you said, he's from some old Princely Family, and, as my friend has tried to explain to me numerous times, Polish names change depending on the situation. So maybe he has a different name that he goes by more commonly, which is why no-one knows who he is? :confused:

Just as I was hesitant in admitting using a TV Guide as a reliable factual source, perhaps "Poland's Prince Marrick" is deliberately withholding his family name to save the family any possible embarrassment?

Warren said:
Just as I was hesitant in admitting using a TV Guide as a reliable factual source, perhaps "Poland's Prince Marrick" is deliberately withholding his family name to save the family any possible embarrassment?

Hmm, funny how these people fail to accurately vet their Princelings, and try to portray them as significant members of Royal families. I wonder how Poles feel about being told they have a Prince? Rather than the writers saying "a Prince from an old Polish Royal family", they've said 'Poland's Prince Marrick'. But that leads the oublic to believe he is to Poland, what HRH The Crown Prince Frederick is to Denmark, and I find that quite unsettling.

So are you all in Australia going to watch? Or rather.....will you admit to watching?! ;) :p

Lady Jennifer said:
So are you all in Australia going to watch? Or rather.....will you admit to watching?! ;) :p
One must keep abreast of popular culture!

Polish Prince Identified!

Source: The Guide, Sydney Morning Herald 3.10.2005

"...the Canadian-born Marek Andrzej Stanislaw Prince Swiatopelk-Czetwertynski (24, tall, blue eyes) strutting about in a Nottinghamshire manor house, Harlaxton Hall (borrowed for the occasion..."

From Wikipedia:

The Swiatopelk Czetwertynski are one of Poland’s oldest aristocratic families, whose records, originating in Ukraine, which was part of Poland for several centuries, date back to 960. The Czetwertynskis once owned vast stretches of land in the East in what is today Ukraine and Belarus.

This branch of the family escaped Poland to Canada in 1960. Their palace in Warsaw was demolished by the communists, and the land was given to the US government to build their embassy. The family returned to Poland in the early 1990s.

Warren said:
Source: The Guide, Sydney Morning Herald 3.10.2005

"...the Canadian-born Marek Andrzej Stanislaw Prince Swiatopelk-Czetwertynski (24, tall, blue eyes) strutting about in a Nottinghamshire manor house, Harlaxton Hall (borrowed for the occasion..."

From Wikipedia:

The Swiatopelk Czetwertynski are one of Poland’s oldest aristocratic families, whose records, originating in Ukraine, which was part of Poland for several centuries, date back to 960. The Czetwertynskis once owned vast stretches of land in the East in what is today Ukraine and Belarus.

This branch of the family escaped Poland to Canada in 1960. Their palace in Warsaw was demolished by the communists, and the land was given to the US government to build their embassy. The family returned to Poland in the early 1990s.
Ah, so it's Marek, as in Marek Grechuta. Thank you, Warren, as always, for finding out (and it's nice to see you are reading the SMH ;)). Is there a photo of him somewhere? I guess I will just have to watch the show to find out. Hopefully there will be some more information.

Princess diaries

By Kathy Buchanan

October 02, 2005
PRINCESS Diana's former butler, Paul Burrell, is standing in a lavish dining room looking cranky. "We have been trying to teach you how to set a formal dinner setting," he says dramatically.

http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16790184-10229,00.html

Of course, there's also a handsome prince who ultimately chooses the princess. Prince Marek, 24, is a charming blue-eyed descendant of Prince Vladimir, the first ruler of Russia and James I, King of England. When he's not performing princely duties or skiing in exclusive resorts in the Italian Alps, he works as a product manager for an international trade company in Warsaw.

So he picks the winner? They changed it compared to the US version.
And only five girls go to the UK? Hmm interesting.
"Competition is fierce because the last five girls to remain in the competition will be flown to the UK to hobnob with ladies and lords in the high-society world of royalty. They'll get a regal TV title and win a Princess Prize Package worth more than $100,000, including a white-gold tiara. Like all good fairytales, it will end with the crowned princess dancing with her prince at a glamorous ball."
Danielle said:
Princess diaries
Of course, there's also a handsome prince who ultimately chooses the princess. Prince Marek, 24, is a charming blue-eyed descendant of Prince Vladimir, the first ruler of Russia and James I, King of England. When he's not performing princely duties or skiing in exclusive resorts in the Italian Alps, he works as a product manager for an international trade company in Warsaw.

http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,16790184-10229,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course! :D Its a shame they won't show it (the Australian version) in the US...it would be interesting to see.
Warren said:
One must keep abreast of popular culture!

Yes! it will be interesting to see all the catfights and backstabbing lol,

1st Episode - 5/10/05

I just watched the first episode of “Australian Princess”. Well, it reminded me of back when Jackie O hosted Popstars (you know, before the Idol phenomena). I was honestly shocked by the attitude of some of these girls/women. They were more concerned with the ‘really cool prizes’ they would win. They don’t have any concept of what it actually means to be a princess; they think it’s all about tiaras, princes and castles in Europe. Some of them needed a really good wake up call. One girl already thinks she’s a princess. I didn’t like some of Jean Broke-Smith’s comments. One of the contestants, Zena, was told to lose some weight. Is her size really that important? I also found that Jane Ferguson was a little and condescending too. I mean, some of the girls deserved it, but I would have thought she could have acted better (when one of the girls didn’t know Fergie’s real name, she proceeded to turn her back on one of them and say ‘And you want to be a Princess?’ in a sarcastic tone).

Now, the Prince. They played this short video of him, and I didn’t get to see his face for that long. To me, he didn’t appear to have blond hair. Anyway, he seemed like a very nice person, and I have no idea why he would want to be part of a stupid TV show like this. It really tarnishes his family’s name, and makes a mockery out of his title. I still can’t believe they made a show like this. Being a Princess, or a member of a royal family, is not something you can buy or win. I guess I’ll be watching next week’s episode.

I especially liked when one of the would-bes was asked if she could name The Queen's residences. She confidantly answered "Buckingham Palace" but when that was followed up with "and...?" she looked genuinely surprised and confused: "There's more?" Oh dear. :eek:

One of the promo shorts showed Burrell pointing to a portrait of the Queen Mother. "Who is that?" he asked. "The Queen's sister?" was the reply. :eek:

Great television. (Of course I'll be watching next week!).

I watched the first episode and i thought it was quite interesting. The judges comments were very condesending and could have given constructive crtisicsm rather than just being rude. I didnt like many of the girls there, so ignorant lol. But it must be very hard for them.

There was a scene when jane Ferguson asked one girl, "Name some places where the Queen lives" and the girl replied "Buckingham Palace" and Jane said "And?" and the girl said "Theres more?"

The lack of constructive criticism was rediculous, commenting on the size of girls was just rude - even for reality TV, this is search for a princess not a supermodel. I agreed with the comment on one of the larger girls not wearing/styling herself correctly - that is the type of thing they need to look for rather than their actual dress size.

I found their lack of knowledge regarding the royals a bit ordinary, however isn't that why real royals have ladys-in-waiting? To remind them of names prior to meeting them ect? Also Paul Burrel turning his back on the girls to test them to see how they would react was rediculous, his excuse being that they would come across people like that all the time. I can't recall a time when someone at a meeting/function turned their back on a royal or ignored them! :eek:

But having said all that, I'll probably keep watching if I remember when its on.

LOL! Haha...too funny...was there a shocked expression on their faces with those answers?

Warren said:
I especially liked when one of the would-bes was asked if she could name The Queen's residences. She confidantly answered "Buckingham Palace" but when that was followed up with "and...?" she looked genuinely surprised and confused: "There's more?" Oh dear. :eek:

One of the promo shorts showed Burrell pointing to a portrait of the Queen Mother. "Who is that?" he asked. "The Queen's sister?" was the reply. :eek:

Great television. (Of course I'll be watching next week!).

Back
Top Bottom