The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

^ Yeah I want to know too! Who was that charming prince????

Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy

I believe the 'Prince' was Mr Lorenzo Montesini a.ka Prince Giustiniani. He was briefly infamous for doing a runner from the altar when due to marry Primrose 'Pitty Pat' Dunlop in 1990 and 'eloping' with his best man! Interestingly the jilted bride's step sister is Carolyn Parker Bowles, former sister in law of the Duchess of Cornwall.

The Giustiniani dynasty were very powerful at one stage and reached their epoch during the eighteenth century! But as Lorenzo worked as a steward for Qantas at some stage I guess his background was hardly 'Princely'. I also wander if he really is a de facto Prince at all!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

^ Are you talking to me about 'Ladette to lady' because he was much younger.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterwicke View Post

They also state, "only one lucky winner will live happily ever after."

Uh huh... Good luck doing that on $50,000.
Agreed. You can't even buy a crappy condo for that much in most places.
So long and goodnight...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM

'Undercover Princes and Princesses', BBC Show

Apologies if this is old - but has anyone seen this show? I just saw it on BBC iPlayer. It seems gimmicky, but they had 6 princes and princesses come to the UK and try to find partners - Princess Xenia of Saxony; Princess Sheillah Nvannungi of Buganda (part of Uganda); Princess Aaliya of Balasindor (in Gujarat); Prince Remigius Kanagarajah of Jaffnah (Sri Lanka); Prince Africa Zulu and Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil of Rajpipla (India), who was gay.

What did you think, if you saw it?

Link here: BBC - BBC Three Programmes - Undercover Princesses
Old 09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Aristocracy

I saw it when I was in London. I was not that interested because it was clearly a very poor quality show. I just remember some unglorious parts which went on like: the Sri Lankan and Indian princes making racist comments about how a Zulu Prince could not be treated as their equal/ the Zulu Prince dumping the woman he took to South Africa with him with a text message/ the Sri-lankan prince who thinks that he will be a real prince only if he marries a blonde haired english woman who would look like Princess Diana and above all the other Indian prince who was gay doing some undecent things.... Well I gave up very quickly, I couldn't wait for the others. There was nothing interesting, nothing decent ad nothing noble with it.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Nobility

I saw some videos on youtube. Horrible!!! I hope there wonť be any other new series...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

Royalty on tv show what type of show

If a royal was to be on tv, what type of show could you see them in? A reality show, a tv series, a documentary type show, their own show?

Hey, how this for a show. A royal (can be male or female) has a relationship that ends badly. A couple of years pass. The person who was their previous partners gets involved in selling fake art work or antiques and is about to get caught when they disappear. He or she are later found deceased. The royal is suspected of having a hand in their death. The royal decides that he/she is going to help with the investigation to clear their name which they do. They realize they have a talent for this and thus you have a weekly tv show of a royal crime fighter/investigator and a expert law enforcement person who may or may not become their love interest. This show goes all over the world solving different types of crime. Would be an interesting show. Probably very unrealistic but an interesting show nonetheless.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

TV Show on TLC about Undercover Princes

A new show on the Learning Channel about Princes who go overcover to find love will be showing in the United States. I believe this show was originally in the UK but has now come to America. Has anyone seen this show and if they have, what do they think of it?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Wow. Pretty intriguing.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Commoner

I'm resurrecting this thread because I keep seeing ads for this on TLC. By the looks of it, they're following four people. They don't look familiar to me at all (then again, I'm no expert). Anybody know anything about these guys?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The original BBC shows "Undercover Princes" and "Undercover Princesses" featured real-life, if completely unknown, royalty.

The Princes were:
- Prince Manvendra of Rajpipla (from India: he later came out as gay)
- Prince Africa Zulu of Onkweni (from South Africa)
- Prince Remigius of Jaffna (from Sri Lanka).

The Princesses were:
- Princess Xenia of Saxony (from Germany)
- Princess Aaliya of Balasinor (from India)
- Princess Sheillah of Buganda (from Uganda - she turned out to be not a real Princess at all)

The TLC version features a rather more "interesting" cast:
- Prince Francisco of Spain
- Prince Salauddin Babi of India
- Lord Robert Walters
- Honourable Ludovic Watson of Houghton Hall

Prince Francisco of Spain is Francisco de Borbon y Von Hardenberg-Furstenberg, the son and heir of Francisco de Borbon y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville.
"Lord" Robert Walters is not only not a Prince, but not a Lord either. If I'm not mistaken, he used to work as a stripper.
"Honourable" Ludovic Watson's credentials are highly doubtful as well.
Prince Salauddin Babi is Prince Nawabzada Sultan Salauddinkhan Babi, the scion of the Balasinor family. His father, HH Nawab Babi Shri Muhammed Salabat Khanji II, is the current nawab of Balasinor (formerly a Princely state of the Babi).
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw some of this when it was on here. From what I remember it was pretty silly. It was princes from India, Sri Lanka and Africa. They were all unknown to me and to the people they met. As Artemisia said, the Indian prince was actually gay which was pretty sad as his parents couldn't accept it and tried to disinherit him.

It was mostly about the foreign princes being very shocked at the cultural differences, the fact that their home countries were much more traditional than the UK and suddenly having to live without servants etc. Probably worth a watch if there's nothing else on.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The original BBC shows "Undercover Princes" and "Undercover Princesses" featured real-life, if completely unknown, royalty.

The Princes were:
- Prince Manvendra of Rajpipla (from India: he later came out as gay)
- Prince Africa Zulu of Onkweni (from South Africa)
- Prince Remigius of Jaffna (from Sri Lanka).

The Princesses were:
- Princess Xenia of Saxony (from Germany)
- Princess Aaliya of Balasinor (from India)
- Princess Sheillah of Buganda (from Uganda - she turned out to be not a real Princess at all)

The TLC version features a rather more "interesting" cast:
- Prince Francisco of Spain
- Prince Salauddin Babi of India
- Lord Robert Walters
- Honourable Ludovic Watson of Houghton Hall

Prince Francisco of Spain is Francisco de Borbon y Von Hardenberg-Furstenberg, the son and heir of Francisco de Borbon y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville.
"Lord" Robert Walters is not only not a Prince, but not a Lord either. If I'm not mistaken, he used to work as a stripper.
Prince Salauddin Babi is Prince Nawabzada Sultan Salauddinkhan Babi, the scion of the Balasinor family. His father, HH Nawab Babi Shri Muhammed Salabat Khanji II, is the current nawab of Balasinor (formerly a Princely state of the Babi).
Francisco maybe the son of a Spanish duke but he definitely is not a Prince of Spain. The only prince in Spain is the Prince of Asturias.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Courtier

You'd think whoever is doing research for these shows/articles would realize the difference between the son of a duke and a prince although perhaps confusing because I think they can be both at the same time....if I am thinking right.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Huh. Not sure how I feel about the "looking for love in America" reality-show format, especially with the sketchy credentials. I mean come on, a stripper?! Criminey. We've clearly run out of ideas...

Thank you, Artemisia!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

From what's being said, it looks like 3 out of the 4 men aren't actually a prince by title but have royal blood in their veins. A more accurate description would be that they are of the nobility and aristocracy of the countries they come from if this is accurate (seems like at least 2 of the backgrounds of those on the show are questionable) It's really interesting when you see them interact with women who aren't nobility or aristocracy and who don't know who they are. If they knew, their behavior of course would be a lot different.

If they came to the Central Florida area, they would stand out but not in a negative way. Most people of nobility have good manners, are generally polite to people and are interesting to talk to. I don't know any personally but this is my impression of them in general. You don't find a lot of men here in Central Florida who are like this. Some but not many.

Like any other group, I'm sure you have you're share of snobs, those who are boorish or those you want to avoid or those who use woman as toys.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal Musings: "Secret Princes" - Spare me ...

The "princes" bona fides, except for the Indian guy, are rather dubious or at least they are not princes.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Great... another reason to feel ashamed to be American. We do a lot of things well, but TLC is quickly becoming the Train Wreck Channel!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Ok I was flicking through the channels trying to find something to watch and came across this show. The "princes" are living like they are in a frat house with about the same mentality as frat boys. Showed them going shopping to look more American so they would fit in. This apparently means jeans, cowboy boots or sneakers, t shirts and plaid shirts, hoodies and baseball or cowboy hats. The girls they were trying to pickup seem to be retail clerks wearing daisy dukes or bar waitresses. Truly cringe worthy. Just awful. After 5 minutes it was time to start flicking through the channels again.