"Royal Rota" (2018-Present) - ITV News Series hosted by Chris Ship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaiaMia_53

Royal Highness
City
Midwest
Country
United States
The Royal Rota series is now up to 5 episodes. Below is the latest, with Robert Jobson on as the contributing journalist:

This episode focuses on discussing Prince Charles' 70th birthday and the recent documentary, Son & Heir.

In addition, Jobson discusses his recent book on Charles. Toward the end of the broadcast, Chris Ship addresses the brouhaha over some of Robson's revelations that in recent weeks led to the tiara drama gossip about Meghan and Harry.

In this episode toward the end, Jobson disavows any knowledge of or responsibility for what other journalists and rags gossiped about as taken from his recent book. Jobson seemed to be trying to promote himself as an above-board journalist, when in fact he too was on the negative bandwagon against Meghan in the beginning. Jobson was negative in his early reporting of Meghan, until it became obvious that it was a done deal and Meghan was the one Harry was determined to marry.

In this Royal Rota episode, Jobson claims that the revelation in his book that Harry said to a staffer, "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets," is true. But Jobson does not connect that quote to any specific incident regarding the so-called tiara drama. Jobson soft-pedals that Harry and Meghan were involved in the stressful lead-up to their wedding, and that Harry probably said this to a staffer as a result of the nervous tension and stress they were experiencing a few weeks out from the wedding. Jobson states that QEII did in fact reprimand Harry and tell him to calm down.

I don't see that as the Queen being upset with either Harry or Meghan though. And the interesting thing is that Jobson does not claim the incident occurred over a tiara. In fact, he mentions not knowing exactly what prompted Harry's outburst.

I disagree with Robson's and Ship's stance that the media has been equally praiseworthy and critical of Meghan as they are toward every other royal. And in fact, I think it is the success and positive coverage that occurred on the South Pacific tour that led to some in the press apparently turning on Meghan once they got back to England. There have been too many petty and negative-slanted stories for that not to be the case. And it's obviously being done for clicks, and to create more drama than may actually exist among the royals.

Last edited:
ITV's Royal Rota, Episode 6, discussing events of the past few weeks, and upcoming. They responsibly touch on the tabloid rumors of rifts, and also discuss M&H's planned move to Windsor, and W&K's trip to Cyprus and presiding over Xmas party at KP for families and children of military:

In this Royal Rota episode, Jobson claims that the revelation in his book that Harry said to a staffer, "What Meghan wants, Meghan gets," is true. But Jobson does not connect that quote to any specific incident regarding the so-called tiara drama. Jobson soft-pedals that Harry and Meghan were involved in the stressful lead-up to their wedding, and that Harry probably said this to a staffer as a result of the nervous tension and stress they were experiencing a few weeks out from the wedding. Jobson states that QEII did in fact reprimand Harry and tell him to calm down.

Without a context this now infamous quote has a life on its own!
Only imagination sets the limit for how, when and why Harry said that.

Regardless of my personal view on Meghan, be that positive, negative or neutral, (it's neutral in fact) I'm still far from convinced that there is a row between her and Kate.
As late as today I read an article in Daily Mail on that very topic.
In one paragraph consisting of some 6-7 lines three keywords appeared: Rumors, reports, suggestions. = Speculation.

So unless someone stands up, with name, and says directly: "I quit because Meghan..."
Or Meghan and Kate have a row or a very awkward moment on video.
Or the more serious papers begin to write about "the rift" in their editorials or in columns by very serious political, historical or royal commentators, I prefer to let the benefit of doubt go with the BRF. I.e. there is no rift.

Kate went through something similar. And today, in the article I referred to above, she and her family are now praised!

- Concrete facts or it didn't happen. - Everything else is speculation.

Just from experience over the years with knowing many people planning a wedding, its not unusual for the groom to stand back and let the bride orchestrate the wedding day to her specifications. To me, this is what I first thought of when I heard "what Meghan wants, Meghan gets". As besotted as Harry is with his Meghan, its not hard to believe that he'd want her to have the wedding of her dreams.

This is just my thoughts and what makes the most sense to me. ?

The same article Muhler refers to also uses the phrase “waspish below-stairs staff.” I don’t think that is a compliment to them. Maybe those staff are where some of the negative stories originate, whether true, false or speculative based on overhearing only part of something.

(I did find it interesting that Kate’s family is now “sensible and practical.”)

I agree with Muhler’s take on this supposed drama as pushed by the tabloids. We really have a lot of speculation. And very few facts.
It seems to me there are snippets with no context that have had whole stories built around them.

Last edited:
:previous: Right, as Chris Ship and his co-hosts soft-pedal in Episode 6, there's no way to substantiate these rampant rumors, most of which are likely pure fiction or based on something innocuous that was overheard and then embellished.

Frankly, I do not doubt that there have been tensions and frustrations that have gone on behind-the-scenes, as is normal in a family of this size and status. Add in the competing staff personalities, the royal journalists, fans and tabloids, and we end up with all kinds of false and manufactured narratives.

Whatever tensions and disagreements that do exist, the royal family surely works things out as best they can. There are only a few trusted friends and family members that they can be assured of being loyal. There may be a bit of palace intrigue going on among staff and courtiers, but I would think that principal members of the family work things out internally and do their best to avoid leaks.

I don't think Meghan and Kate have had any disagreements, but I also do not think they are very close. I am sure they are cordial and that they may even collaborate sometimes on what they are planning to wear, but I don't think they are exactly confidantes at the present time, and maybe never will be. That's understandable because they have different backgrounds and are in their mid-thirties with separate intimate friends and social circles. It's possible they may become closer over time, as their families grow and things evolve.

Right now there's a great deal of interest in the Meghan and Harry romance. And M&H have delightful, open personalities which is somewhat in contrast to W&K. But W&K have their own understated appeal and great senses of humor. Plus M&H are only being themselves and are not trying to unseemly push themselves forward, so they are not to blame for some of the overdone spotlight being shown on them, nor the comparisons that have ensued. KP has been working overtime to ensure positive coverage and attention is being equally distributed, with I've noticed a lot of recent events attended by W&K that seem to be reminiscent of M&H's events pre and post their May wedding. At the very least, M&H's laid-back ease seems to be influencing W&K in positive ways, as they too are seeming to be more relaxed and open during their public appearances.

Royal Rota Episode 7 released January 18, 2019 -- discusses announcement of DoS Meghan's new patronages, and M&H's visit to Birkenhead and recent engagements, plus other Royal Family news:

It's interesting to hear Victoria's comments on how Americans and Brits react to things.

Here is ITV's Royal Rota Episode 9, a special edition filmed in Morocco, with royal reporter Omid Scobie as the guest:

The latest episode of ITV's Royal Rota which was largely centered around the April 11, 2019 statement from BP regarding M&H's baby birth plans. The guest reporter is Roya Nikkah, and she seems to struggle with being objective. In fact, at times, she seems pretty upset but then she seems to try and balance her opinions about the Sussexes' decision, yet still in an obviously annoyed way:

This British talk show seems like an episode of Firing Line. The guests thankfully make a lot more sense than the host regarding the fact that Meghan and Harry have the right to make their own decisions surrounding the birth of their baby:

Last edited:
So, the hosts of Royal Rota have a lot of time on their hands waiting for Baby Sussex to be born. So they decided to do another broadcast while they are waiting impatiently. Perhaps they will follow up with a special episode once the baby arrives and the photo-call has taken place:

@MaiaMia_53 - for a minor royal whose is sixth in line to the throne the is a lot of world wide interest. And the RRs are still salty.

Just as I suspected Royal Rota did a follow-up. Here's the latest episode, which I also linked in Birth of Archie thread. The way Chris Ship introduces Alan Jones (their guest co-host for this episode) is rather dismissive: "We thought we'd get someone uh, reasonably important..."

Royal Rota came back in September with Robert Jobson:

And here's the most recent episode filmed during M&H's South Africa tour:

And here's the most recent episode filmed during M&H's South Africa tour:

I like Chris Ship’s take on things as a “royal reporter” as he is quite professional without being a sycophant or being overly familiar. I am glad that both ITV staff have called out the selfishness that wiped out the final two day coverage that should have highlighted shocking unemployment and other social issues so prevalent for millions of ordinary South African people. The National Geographic reporter was pretty cool too with positive input without being a gushing mad pro-Meghan American. British TV journalism at its best.

Chris Ship Co-signed on some of the negavite reporting of Meghan so he has no clean hands here. And this claim of the lawsuit announcement ruining the South Africa trip is disingenuous. The British media would have made this the lead story if the lawsuits were announced when they left South African air space. This is the British media feeling its power threatened. It believes it can say or write anything unfounded and vicious about the royals without impunity and dictate when royals give them access to their lives and their children if they want favorable press. The phone hacking scandal showed some of the press some were willing to commit crimes for a scoop.

I don't think Chris Ship has been negatively reporting on Meghan at all, the TV press tend to just follow the news, it would look extremely odd for them not to report on stories that are in all the papers but the TV news tends to stick with reporting that there is a story and giving both sides of the argument rather than taking sides in the way the tabloids do.

I agree with him that the statement and announcement of legal action overshadowed the last days of the tour, whether you think the legal action is right or wrong is irrelevant here such action was always going to be reported on and overshadow anything else. Gain whether that is right or wrong is up for debate but anyone could see that it would.

IMO Chris is one the few media who has reported pretty even handedly on things.

The act of monumental selfishness was IMO the act of London tabloid editors and others back home in Britain ordering their reporters in the Press Pack in South Africa to cover the statement and the law suit with utter disregard for the issue of South African unemployment, which Harry did address. There was totally no need to blank one out issue in favour of the other. Just greed and a need for Clickbait at all costs.

I completely agree with you Curryong. The South African journalists continued to cover the important issues Meghan & Harry were highlighting on that final day of the tour. It was the British media's choice to focus solely on the legal suit, which was not a requirement. It was the British media's guilty excuse.

Back
Top Bottom